Nardz

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC
so going overseas next month - doing a round trip so need travel insurance to cover all continents pretty muhc...

travel agent quoted me a pretty high amount - though AAMI quoted $215 which i'm relatively content with.

anyone know of any other travel insurers that would be worth looking at?

i got mine throuhg the bank (commonwealth) last time i went away. not sure why but it saved me a fair bit through them

Check:

The excess that is offered.
The maximum the cover pays out on individual items (such as cameras and laptops).
Basic stuff like how much it covers on delay of journey, resumption of travel etc etc

Major travel agencies price beat on insurance too, so just take what you've got back to the agent and they should beat it.

well my travel agent was someone i know personally - and she told me that any quote the system spits out at her she can give me 20% off.. even then it worked out more expensive than AAMI

ended up going with aami.. though i have 14 days cooling off...
http://www.aami.com.au/policy-documents/pdf/travel-insurance-policy.pdf

seems alright paid $216 and the excess is $200

i checked with nab and RACV and they were charging closer to $300 though it was hard to see what kind of excess they charged (the quote didnt really display that)

I'm going overseas in a couple of months, and after doing some fairly thorough research ended up going with AAMI. I can't remember exactly all the details about excess etc, but they seemed to be quite reasonable about what they do and don't cover. It was also quite a bit cheaper than i was expecting, about $90 for a month in europe.

well my travel agent was someone i know personally - and she told me that any quote the system spits out at her she can give me 20% off.. even then it worked out more expensive than AAMI

ended up going with aami.. though i have 14 days cooling off...
http://www.aami.com.au/policy-documents/pdf/travel-insurance-policy.pdf

seems alright paid $216 and the excess is $200

i checked with nab and RACV and they were charging closer to $300 though it was hard to see what kind of excess they charged (the quote didnt really display that)

$200 is a pretty high excess for travel insurance. If you get delayed a night and need to shell out for accommodation you'll get nothing (for example).

The excess is what will be making the difference most likely.

$200 is a pretty high excess for travel insurance. If you get delayed a night and need to shell out for accommodation you'll get nothing (for example).

The excess is what will be making the difference most likely.
hmm thanks for that...

NAB is $285 and has no excess.. maybe thats the way to go

i can still cancel AAMI 14 day cooling off - thats why i was so quick to purchase...

https://insure.nab.com.au/nab/skins/NAB/popups/tr80a.aspx#13

have a read and tell me what you think

hmm thanks for that...

NAB is $285 and has no excess.. maybe thats the way to go

i can still cancel AAMI 14 day cooling off - thats why i was so quick to purchase...

https://insure.nab.com.au/nab/skins/NAB/popups/tr80a.aspx#13

have a read and tell me what you think

That looks pretty good really. All pretty standard, theft of cash is even a bit higher than the norm.

For the sake of $70, I'd go for the nil excess. If you have to claim it will pay for itself right away pretty much.

$200 is a bit high an excess really. Like I said it'd do your night's accommodation or a good chunk of your stolen/missing camera etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long are you going for? There are alot of budget insurance sites that have very reasonable prices. I've done a fair bit of research on travel insurance recently (ahead of a 12 month trip) and have (almost) settled on itrek, who are underwritten by Chartis.

I'm heading to North America for at least 6 months and I've got plenty of quotes from many companies such as NAB, travelinsurancedirect.com.au, Cover More, 1Cover, Southern Cross and a few others.

I've gone through all the product disclosure statements and their exclusions but I'm unsure whether I'll be covered for ski and snowboarding injuries. Do they simply come under emergency medical assistance and expenses? I've noticed that some of the policies state you won't be covered if you injure yourself off-piste (outside the designated slopes) which could mean that you are covered if you stay within the safe areas.

Anyone got any advice?

$85 to reduce your excess from $200->$0 seems pretty high to me - to break even you'd be looking to claim $200+ every 2-3 policies which seems way to frequent...
i ended up claiming over $600 on that trip.

in the end of the day the extra $85 gives you access to claim for the first $200 worth of claims.. whereas if you do not spend that $85 the first $200 worth you'd be out of pocket as you'd be better off just buying whatever it is you're claiming..

so much can and usually does go wrong when travelling so in my opinion it's a no brainer really..

in the end of the day the extra $85 gives you access to claim for the first $200 worth of claims

Not really - the first $85 worth of claims you are better just having the $85 in your pocket.

so much can and usually does go wrong when travelling so in my opinion it's a no brainer really..

I've traveled a fair amount and would have 1-2 claims. Add to that the general hassle of claiming...

so going overseas next month - doing a round trip so need travel insurance to cover all continents pretty muhc...

travel agent quoted me a pretty high amount - though AAMI quoted $215 which i'm relatively content with.

anyone know of any other travel insurers that would be worth looking at?

hi nardz...
i've got my travel insurance with my health insurance provider, http://www.hcf.com.au/Products/travel.asp?member_id=Guest. i get a 10% discount...
if you've got health insurance, its worth checking if they do travel insurance as well and offer a discount...
happy travels...

I'm going to Russia for two weeks in Septembers(will be watching the GF from the Sports Bar in Moscow). Our travel agent didn't even give us a choice of what insurance we wanted or even if we wanted it. She just said that travel insurance was included in the price she quoted us. I thought that was a bit odd.

*Disclaimer - I'm a Travel Agent

With Travel Insurance you get what you pay for, especially when you use a bank's travel insurance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back