Travel Visa Cards

Remove this Banner Ad

They are all pretty bad IMO.
My recommendations though: mix it up

Have a second card for your normal bank account and store that separately to your cash.

Get one of the travel cards. Rip offs but you're using it as a fall back option. I'm yet to see one that doesn't stooge you with transaction, conversion fees or when you want to close the account.

Have $500 in cash available to you (try and lock in managers hotel safe and only have what you need for the day on you when outside the hotel)

Have a credit card. Work out whether Visa or MasterCard will be accepted at your destination.

With all bank cards make sure you notify the bank you are travelling and ensure they can be used overseas.

Never store all your cash, cards or card copies together. You want access to money should they be lost or stolen.

I used an ANZ travel card for a recent US trip. Had no issues with it and only paid the standard ATM fees (which weren't much).

I have a Citibank Plus Account (visa card) and have been using around Europe to draw money out at ATMs without getting any ATM fees. Highly recommend it.
Seriously, end thread. Absolutely no fees from Citibank side (loading, withdrawing, transferring etc.), uses Visas standard exchange rates which are generally about as good as you can get.

Check out this for a good write up on it: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/citibank_plus_transaction_account

I have used the Qantas Cash card. It is a personalised card (i.e., with your name embossed). Last time I checked you can load 10 different currencies. It does not expire. The exchange rates seem comparable to other cards, and you can transfer between currencies. E.g., I was in USA and Canada earlier this year. I had CAN$500 left on the card after leaving Canada for Washington State, so I just transferred that into USD.

https://www.qantascash.com/?alt_cam...iRplYbE4PgIy-nmb8KLa0RoCE3zw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

p.s. I don't work for Qantas Cash Card or any affiliate!!

I use 28 degrees mastercard (a credit card). They don't charge any international payment charges, and their conversion rate isn't too bad either. No annual fees either. Only use it for overseas website purchases and while travelling...

https://www.28degreescard.com.au/

Don't like them. There is always a f up. Then you have to find a bank re process them and/or a lot of places won't accept them.

My advice. Take cash = Hide it in your luggage. Ride shot gun to the hotel and the second you get there lock it in a safe. Even backpackers have them you can hire out. Then withdraw incrementally as needed. Take out as required and keep a standard Visa/Mastercard Credit or debit card for emergencies.

Travellers cheques maybe but you still need a branch and there is a lot of stuffing around.

Cash is King.

Has anyone tried the Velocity card overseas? I think I've heard good reviews... I think. Are there many fees or hassles? Seems a little too good to be true to be getting Velocity points while simply spending your money overseas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone tried the Velocity card overseas? I think I've heard good reviews... I think. Are there many fees or hassles? Seems a little too good to be true to be getting Velocity points while simply spending your money overseas.

If you're spending a lot. For most people 28 degrees card or BankWest Zero Platinum is perfect for overseas travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, end thread. Absolutely no fees from Citibank side (loading, withdrawing, transferring etc.), uses Visas standard exchange rates which are generally about as good as you can get.

Check out this for a good write up on it: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/citibank_plus_transaction_account

Agree this card is the one for travelling, as there are no fees charged. Take your other card for backup and transfer money between accounts as needed.

Three months overseas, so 10k odd... probably 'a lot?'

Will you be paying off the balance each month?
Also some of the velocity cards can be difficult to get approved for if you're casually employed, which from memory I think you might be?
Reason I was saying something like BW Zero Platinum is that is has no annual fees, no 2% international surcharge ect.
Also are you going to be putting everything on your card? Definitely not a good idea for it to be your only source of cash flow as drawing the money out of ATM's from a credit charge will result in you getting slammed with interest.

Will you be paying off the balance each month?
Also some of the velocity cards can be difficult to get approved for if you're casually employed, which from memory I think you might be?
Reason I was saying something like BW Zero Platinum is that is has no annual fees, no 2% international surcharge ect.
Also are you going to be putting everything on your card? Definitely not a good idea for it to be your only source of cash flow as drawing the money out of ATM's from a credit charge will result in you getting slammed with interest.

I think we might be talking about different things.

The Virgin Velocity card I have is basically just a Flybuys or something. You get points for booking flights via Virgin, Etihad, and their subsidiary airlines, and when you shop on Asos or Urban Outfitters or whatever, they give you points.

I'm pretty sure you can load up the card, exactly the same as you would if you were with Commbank or whoever. It's just a prepaid card with currencies and cash on it. I'm not 100% sure but I think you get two points per dollar or whatever spent.

So it isn't a credit card – it's nothing but a barcode for 90% of the time. I think some people pre-load cash on them to get the points. But yeah, all pre-loaded, not a normal credit card where you spend money not actually on there. So you don't pay anything off: you put money on there.

The Virgin Velocity card I have is basically just a Flybuys or something. You get points for booking flights via Virgin, Etihad, and their subsidiary airlines, and when you shop on Asos or Urban Outfitters or whatever, they give you points.

I'm pretty sure you can load up the card, exactly the same as you would if you were with Commbank or whoever. It's just a prepaid card with currencies and cash on it. I'm not 100% sure but I think you get two points per dollar or whatever spent.

So it isn't a credit card – it's nothing but a barcode for 90% of the time. I think some people pre-load cash on them to get the points. But yeah, all pre-loaded, not a normal credit card where you spend money not actually on there. So you don't pay anything off: you put money on there.

The Velocity card you seem to have is a horrible card on all fronts, the exchange rate when overseas is poor, plus there are fees to load "your" money onto "your" card and to withdraw "your" from "your" card to go along with the normal fees as well. The points you get for using it just won't be a equal match for the money you'll lose in fees. You don't go on a trip to give your money to a bank.

Either use the Citibank card as thats a Debit Card and as I said is fee free world wide and if you need a Credit Card you can apply for either the Latitude 28 degrees or BankWest Zero platinum which are also fee free or low fee options.

Yes we are talking about separate things. My bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back