Travelling from Perth to Melbourne for GF, simple solution.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are keen to drive however, do yourself a favour and fly to Adelaide. Return flights from Perth can be had for around $500 I think.

Hire your minivan in Adelaide and drive from there. It’s a totally comfortable eight hour trip and you’ll be very glad you did it that way.

Sounds very smart alternative. Adelaide to Melbourne is pretty easy trip by car or van.

Nullarbor trip is unreal, definitely worth doing. Only takes 2.5-3 days if you stop for sleeps in Norseman and Ceduna.

Could also look at camper van relocation programs. Often is free to drive them across but it’s probably too late for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do it to yourself, fair enough if the eagles win but if the pies win? I don’t want to be in the country let alone at the ground. Last time they won the flag I was on a flight to Seoul and missed it completely, if only I could escape this time.
It’s more of a work related event. I am going with a client of mine. I get along well with him and don’t have to worry about being on my best behaviour. I don’t drink so won’t make a dick of myself. He is pretty footy focused so we can talk strategy and game stuff, and a poindexter like I am so it’s ok!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are different tiers of fully flex fares. Companies if they need to send an employee interstate and have no other choice will put them on a high fully flex fare. I’m telling you, airlines don’t just make up new airfares because it’s the grand final or Melbourne is playing in Perth, these airfares are locked in the previous year.

I fly Virgin regularly Melbourne - Perth return. I can't book 12 months in advance with any of the airlines, about 8 or 9 months seems to be the max.

I fly mid week. Leave Melb around 9pm this Tuesday, the plane is basically full. I'll get the red eye back in 2 weeks on a Tuesday night, 3/4 full. I used to fly out of Melb at either 7:15am or 9:15am, generally pretty full, particularly the later one.

Lots of people fifo'ing from eastern states mid week. I used to get the odd red eye on a Friday night, full.

you know there's a train for like 50$?

Where? I went Melbourne - Adelaide on the Overlander, waited in Adelaide for 9 hours waiting for the Indian Pacific to arrive from Sydney, jumped on it and went to Kalgoorlie, After an hour in Kal the train continued on to Perth. Took about 3 days in total and cost $139 one way. That was 30 years ago this year.

The train is more expensive than flying. If you get a sleeper it's thousands.

Wombats more than roos, although lots of roos last 60 or so k's to WA / SA order.

I drove across a year ago..there and back ...saw plenty of dead wombats and hundreds upon hundreds of dead Roos and a few live ones.
One live one I hit at 5am on the 90 mile straight. Was like hitting a concrete block..and was only medium size.
I shouldn’t have been out there at that time. I was lucky to get away with minimal damage.

Catch a plane. It’s way safer and a lot easier.

$1500 for a return flight Perth-Melbourne is disgusting. I leave for Europe on Sunday, for return flights AND accommodation for 5 nights in Amsterdam, I paid $1400 total.

Can't imagine it being all that more cheaper. Maybe a few hundred dollars.
Long trip for just a week?

$1500 for a return flight Perth-Melbourne is disgusting. I leave for Europe on Sunday, for return flights AND accommodation for 5 nights in Amsterdam, I paid $1400 total.
Can't imagine it being all that more cheaper. Maybe a few hundred dollars.

And you get to get stoned and do mushrooms without worrying about getting arrested too.

• Doing a van in 36 hours both ways? 72 hours of probably a desk jockey driving hours on end? Nah - its costly (the diesel these things use is huge) and the return leg is set for disaster
  • $50 on a train. I reckon you could do that from Ballarat - just. It's thousands for the Ghan sleeper and I don't think they have red class (economy any more) and it doesn't goto Melbourne anyway
  • Bus - I'm sure Greyhound or Firefly or whatever do the very sober trip.
  • Ai NZ - Check if you could accidentally get off a Per-Mel-Akl flight early. Wont work the other way though

I fly Virgin regularly Melbourne - Perth return. I can't book 12 months in advance with any of the airlines, about 8 or 9 months seems to be the max.

I fly mid week. Leave Melb around 9pm this Tuesday, the plane is basically full. I'll get the red eye back in 2 weeks on a Tuesday night, 3/4 full. I used to fly out of Melb at either 7:15am or 9:15am, generally pretty full, particularly the later one.

Lots of people fifo'ing from eastern states mid week. I used to get the odd red eye on a Friday night, full.
Yes not 12 months, it’s about 9-10 months in advance. I think every time this happens people love to talk about airlines “jacking up” prices when it’s not true. Simple case of supply and demand. Try booking a flight on Xmas eve a week out and you’ll find ridiculous prices as well.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/w...west-coast-fans-book-up-flights-ng-b88969772z

Flights for tomorrow and Wednesday are a little cheaper. In June, Qantas offered a “Back Your Team” earlybird sale for AFL fans, with Perth to Melbourne fares from $399 one-way over the grand final weekend and the option to rebook to anywhere on the Qantas network.

The standard $99 change fee was waived if their team did not make the finals.

Pretty flexible and affordable really.

Most flights now $1000 each way. Airlines don't gouge, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back