Travelling To England For The Ashes

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m considering this as well.

I believe you have some insight to share Kyptastic?

Surely CA will look after you when Jhye inevitably gets selected ;)

I did tour groups, which took out a lot the planning aspect for me. Most group packages are for all 5 days of the test, so if that's something you're interested in they're probably the best way to go. If you just want to go to a couple of days here and there you'd be better off buying directly.

Lords would be everyone's number one, but the Oval Test is pretty good too, given that it's still in London and there's pplenty to do outside of the cricket. Edgbaston would also be good for the atmosphere given past tests. Edgbaston was the first ground to host a day night test, so if they're going to have one for the Ashes it'll probably be there.

I think it's a rule for Australians watching the Ashes in England to be over 50 and wear a stupid lanyard. At least it looks like a rule on TV.

I already put in a request for WC tickets, so I might as well do the Ashes.

Shame they’re a little too far apart. Would’ve been amazing to go over for both.

I remember hearing on the Grade Cricketer podcast it was only like 10 days apart? Maybe they were exaggerating. Wimbledon is another thing I want to tick off the bucket list so I'll likely try to go to whatever event is on at that time.

Last edited:
I remember hearing on the Grade Cricketer podcast it was only like 10 days apart? Maybe they were exaggerating. Wimbledon is another thing I want to tick off the bucket list so I'll likely try to go to whatever event is on at that time.

It would be unlike the grade cricketers to be exaggerate. ;)

World Cup is 30th May to 14th July

Ashes is somewhere between July and September (dates TBA)

So it’s closer than I thought, but would still be a long holiday to do both. Better start saving!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone have any idea how hard it would be to get tickets directly?
Depends on the day you want to go and the venue
A large chunk of priority tickets go to members of the clubs ground then they allocate further to past players at the county club , at least that’s what happened when I was there

So it actually doesn’t leave much left over at some venues for premium days , you would want to get in early

So I'm considering doing it in 2019.

Anyone here done it before and have any tips, tricks, advice, things to do, things to avoid, venues to prioritise?
If your not wanting to do all the games and haven’t been before I would do as priority
- Lords
- Oval
- Edgbaston
- Old Trafford

Trent Bridge outside of Lords was the best ground I went to , shame they haven’t scheduled a test there

I am planning on heading over next july. The sooner they announce the draw the better.

Never been to europe so i am planning do a bit travel for 4-5 weeks while going to a few tests which is the main reason i am going.

I read yesterday that the 1st test starts on july 24-25. 10 days after the world cup final.

The two tests i want to go to are edgbaston and lords.

My mate reckons Edgbaston is supposedly the best test ground to go to in england as it is generally a great atmosphere.

Plus Lords is on my bucket list despite it being a bit over-rated speaking to another mate who went in 2015.

I am planning on heading over next july. The sooner they announce the draw the better.

Never been to europe so i am planning do a bit travel for 4-5 weeks while going to a few tests which is the main reason i am going.

I read yesterday that the 1st test starts on july 24-25. 10 days after the world cup final.

My mate reckons Edgbaston is supposedly the best test ground to go to in england as it is generally a great atmosphere.

Plus Lords is on my bucket list despite it being a bit over-rated speaking to another mate who went in 2015.
I've heard the same about Edgbaston.

Where did you read about the start date for the first test?

I've heard the same about Edgbaston.

Where did you read about the start date for the first test?

Somewhere on cricinfo mate.

They was an article about us not playing ireland in a test and only have time for 1 practice match instead of the ususal 2 due to the cramped schedule

Interesting , Lords exceeded my pretty high expectations for it .
Edgbaston is a beauty , most of the older original county grounds are

Just found that article on cricinfo, they're saying that there's only ten days between the world cup final and the first Ashes test. World Cup final is July 14 so that would make the first Ashes test July 25.

Mate where did you read that?

I am definitely going next year to watch a couple of tests.

I've been to england (lived there) and visited a few grounds but never been to a test match there.

I would have thought that 10 days would be too soon as we'd need at least 1 3 day game warm up. Mind you it's possible that the non ODI test cricketers would be in warm up mode already.

I have been hanging out for the fixture (anyone have a clue when released) so I can start planning the trip. Was going to go to either test 1 and 2 or tests 2 and 3.

If the start date is indeed the 24th - then it looks like I'm going to scramble to get there for Lords (test 2)

I've been to england (lived there) and visited a few grounds but never been to a test match there.

I would have thought that 10 days would be too soon as we'd need at least 1 3 day game warm up. Mind you it's possible that the non ODI test cricketers would be in warm up mode already.

I have been hanging out for the fixture (anyone have a clue when released) so I can start planning the trip. Was going to go to either test 1 and 2 or tests 2 and 3.

If the start date is indeed the 24th - then it looks like I'm going to scramble to get there for Lords (test 2)

Proposed date is 24th atm could change like you i am waiting for it to be officially announced so i can my trip.

Link below

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23643272/australia-rule-possibility-ireland-test-2019-ashes

Hasn't really been any word on when they're going to announce the dates as far as I can see.

In the last couple of weeks Aus had said no to a test against Ireland because the gap between the WC and Ashes is too small but now England are apparently a good chance to play a test against Ireland at Lords in-between the WC and start of the Ashes? It's a bit of a dog's breakfast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back