Travis Boak - Over rated by our supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last 10 years even, Judd, Neale, Fyfe, Swan, Hayes, Selwood, Danger, Sam Mitchell, Kennedy all significantly better midfielders

He got played out of position when he was in his prime. How often has that happened to these other greats you mentioned?

Who are these supporters who are overrating Boak placing him in the same echelon as these midfielders anyway? You've made a sweeping statement, coming out like you have been in the know the whole time, laying the blame squarely at his feet.

Consider this: Players his age usually get managed but we can't afford to. 81% game time. More game time than Drew (71%), Houston (76%) and Wines (77%) FFS. Only Amon has similar (82%) Played every game bar one this year. At the age of 33. He gets tagged mercilessly because the opposition know that if he has a good game they usually lose. You wonder why he sometimes goes missing, especially in finals??? Maybe your answer is in there somewhere!

Last edited:

I was surprised as anyone he kicked that goal around the corner late in the game.

I thought maybe things were different this time. I thought a steel had gone through the group. Hinkley, Boak, Jonas. I was as positive as anybody over the last 6-8 weeks. I thought this year was different. Unfortunately they all reverted to type.

Once again, I have not said that Boak is sh*t. He just lacks something that puts him in that upper echelon of players. He hasn't ever got the job done.
Although this clearly isn't a popular post, I think it sums up the situation reasonably well.

Round 23. Specifically 3 weeks ago. 31 possessions and 2 goals. One that sealed it and confirmed a top 2 position. He's 33 years old. You're a *******.

Which final was that?

Boak didn't deliver in 2017. He didn't deliver in 2020. He didn't deliver in 2021.

We need to accept he's part of the same mentally scarred group of 2007 like Westhoff was often accused of.

As amazing as he is throughout the year.

Absolute super star on and off the field I feel this thread is the worse I've seen on this board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw this crap thread several days ago. Have ignored it till now, but thought I just had to have my say. I have only read the opening post, so no idea who agrees or disagrees, but IMO this has to one of the worst threads/statements I have ever read on Bigfooty ... and that is saying something!

Mods ... Close this rubbish down please.

Saw this crap thread several days ago. Have ignored it till now, but thought I just had to have my say. I have only read the opening post, so no idea who agrees or disagrees, but IMO this has to one of the worst threads/statements I have ever read on Bigfooty ... and that is saying something!

Mods ... Close this rubbish down please.
Lol it's called a forum for a reason.

Not that I necessarily agree with the premise of this thread, but you best stick to the Facebook happyclappers if you want to be part of a circejerk

Not that I necessarily agree with the premise of this thread, but you best stick to the Facebook happyclappers if you want to be part of a circejerk
I am far from a happyclapper, cant stand Facebook, and I will leave the "jerking" to w***ers like you!

If disagreeing with the suggestion that Boak is overrated makes you a Facebook happyclapper then there's not going to be much of the supporter base left over.

This thread absolutely reeks of the syndrome we saw in the Marshall thread where Port supporters dissect every second of Port games but only watch highlights for other teams so assume other teams mids are doing more than they are.

Also having insane standards about what an "elite" midfielder is.

Boak is a club legend and is not overrated.

But like everyone, there are areas for every player to improve on. Boak in front of goal for example in big games seems to spray his attempts.

The midfield were badly beaten in the centre last week. Does it come down to the players in that case? Or is it a tactical failure by the coach to allow a spare dogs player to be free on their defensive side 100 times in a row for 100 clearances.

Boak is a club legend and is not overrated.

But like everyone, there are areas for every player to improve on. Boak in front of goal for example in big games seems to spray his attempts.

The midfield were badly beaten in the centre last week. Does it come down to the players in that case? Or is it a tactical failure by the coach to allow a spare dogs player to be free on their defensive side 100 times in a row for 100 clearances.
You know who would be good to improve our kicking?

Choco.

We suck at the 1%ers because we have noone with the fanatical drive to be the best.

We are happy with good so we never get to great

Gray had a poor night too, but he has the the points on the board. He's dragged us across the line many times, in big matches, in finals.

I can't think of a single time Boak has done that. Not one
Not once? So do we just work back to..... along long time ago... Rd 23 this year, big game i would have thought, need a win to make top 2,
15 pts down late... trying to work out which of our elite midfielders
- worked through to deliver an inside 50 to Rozee, who couldn't take the mark but got the handball out to Wines for a big goal
- worked inside 50 to then get kick around the corner for another big goal
- worked through to deliver an inside 50 to R Gray for another big goal.

I wish I knew which mid that was delivering in a big game to drag us over the line late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back