Travis Boak - Over rated by our supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread absolutely reeks of the syndrome we saw in the Marshall thread where Port supporters dissect every second of Port games but only watch highlights for other teams so assume other teams mids are doing more than they are.

Also having insane standards about what an "elite" midfielder is.

except boak is a champion of the game and marshall is a promising young player who is yet to deliver on that potential

except boak is a champion of the game and marshall is a promising young player who is yet to deliver on that potential

I'm not sure how this is relevant when my point (and the entire thread) is very clearly about relative performance v their contemporaries.

Boak is a club legend and is not overrated.

But like everyone, there are areas for every player to improve on. Boak in front of goal for example in big games seems to spray his attempts.

The midfield were badly beaten in the centre last week. Does it come down to the players in that case? Or is it a tactical failure by the coach to allow a spare dogs player to be free on their defensive side 100 times in a row for 100 clearances.
We were absolutely, definitely, without any hesitation f@ckn OUT BL@@DY COACHED

Supporting a football club is an emotional action. Whether there are mnemonic responses attached to childhood events with family, a sense of belonging and the protection that comes with that when joining a group of likeminded people, or exhilaration of perceived shared success as well as others for the emotional response

Travis Boak has formed an emotional attachment to this supporter base - and most of it is positive. His loyalty, hard work and dedication is acknowledged and repaid by feelings of admiration and respect.

I don’t think Travis is overrated as the feelings most have for him are beyond that. There is genuine affection that only comes from a shared history, a history with far too frequent dissatisfaction but moments of breathtaking hope.

We all want every success for Travis, because he wants every success for us.

Boak shortstepped a contest with Bailey ******* Smith in the first minute of the prelim.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
The amount of sweating off the contest from our blokes was unbelievable in that game I'm not sure how you even get to that point, like the whole side didn't want to win the football I've never seen anything like it.

Did I read some people actually implying he HASNT been our best midfielder in the AFL era? How on earth does one come to that conclusion?

This thread

"Jump off a bridge and die, Papa G, Boak is an out and out legend that has dragged us over the line time and time again !"

Other threads

"our midfield is s**t and not good enough"

This thread

"Jump off a bridge and die, Papa G, Boak is an out and out legend that has dragged us over the line time and time again !"

Other threads

"our midfield is sh*t and not good enough"

Because you're only as good as your last game.

Many saying our midfield is s**t now weren't saying that before the preliminary final.

The entire team shat the bed and it wasn't because of talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because you're only as good as your last game.

Many saying our midfield is sh*t now weren't saying that before the preliminary final.

The entire team shat the bed and it wasn't because of talent.

Yeah, no prize for first around here but I was critical of Boak after last year's prelim.

Just wondering if anybody is willing to reconsider their posts in here in light of new discoveries.

Yeah, no prize for first around here but I was critical of Boak after last year's prelim.

Just wondering if anybody is willing to reconsider their posts in here in light of new discoveries.
They want things to change but label you unportadelaide like for having a crack it's laughable.

Then you need to delete dozens of posts in the grand final thread too which are worse than anything here...
True, but the fact that this was opened as a thread and not just a bullsh*t post/comment is really disappointing. I'm actually losing more faith in our supporters than I am our football club. Constant criticism of the board and the coach I can understand to a certain extent but turning the focus on to Travis Boak is just irrational and stupid. Runner up in the Browlow last year, 25 votes this year, an amazing leader on and off the field, a genuinely decent bloke. Over-rated? The entire league recognises his form. It's a really disappointing thread. Okay, I know, will show myself out.

True, but the fact that this was opened as a thread and not just a bullsh*t post/comment is really disappointing. I'm actually losing more faith in our supporters than I am our football club. Constant criticism of the board and the coach I can understand to a certain extent but turning the focus on to Travis Boak is just irrational and stupid. Runner up in the Browlow last year, 25 votes this year, an amazing leader on and off the field, a genuinely decent bloke. Over-rated? The entire league recognises his form. It's a really disappointing thread. Okay, I know, will show myself out.

I don't ******* care what he does in the Brownlow, he has not produced a level of performance, leadsership, and skill in finals befitting of the reputation he has, thus, overrated.

I'm not asking for a performance for the ages, not expecting a Dusty style final, just to maintain his home and away form in to September. In to a tight game, or a game where we are down and need a spark.

I don't ******* care what he does in the Brownlow, he has not produced a level of performance, leadsership, and skill in finals befitting of the reputation he has, thus, overrated.

I'm not asking for a performance for the ages, not expecting a Dusty style final, just to maintain his home and away form in to September. In to a tight game, or a game where we are down and need a spark.
Yes he has missed some shots at goal... But has he really been that bad in finals?!

He was close to BOG vs Geelong, and was probably second to Robbie in the 2014 finals series.

Other than his kicking for goal he has in no way been our worst finals performer.

I'm not hearing any solutions. What do you do, turf him for someone younger with less runs on the board? In hindsight, there was nothing about Boak's selection in season 2021 that should have been done any differently.

I'm not hearing any solutions. What do you do, turf him for someone younger with less runs on the board? In hindsight, there was nothing about Boak's selection in season 2021 that should have been done any differently.

I don't know what to do, we know he can't play other positions, and you don't want him to, he's still good throughout the year helping us achieve wins to get finals qualification.

He's left no stone unturned getting the most out of himself physically, perhaps he needs a change of approach to get more out mentally, when the heat is turned up, cause that's a weakness. Also, skills. Skills skills skills. Can ease off on the ropes and spend more time with a sherrin. Perhaps he needs to stay out the 50 too if he can't kick goals in finals.

I don't know what to do, we know he can't play other positions, and you don't want him to, he's still good throughout the year helping us achieve wins to get finals qualification.

He's left no stone unturned getting the most out of himself physically, perhaps he needs a change of approach to get more out mentally, when the heat is turned up, cause that's a weakness. Also, skills. Skills skills skills. Can ease off on the ropes and spend more time with a sherrin. Perhaps he needs to stay out the 50 too if he can't kick goals in finals.

I know he said he feels like he can play til he's 40 but the truth is he's at the end of his career and the window may well be shut.

Arguing about what Travis Boak needs to do to get us into a Grand Final as we approach season 2022 seems utterly pointless.

Travis was once lovingly know as captain butter fingers in our house hold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back