Opinion Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hearing his interviews on 5aa and 7 news today, I am no longer confident that he can lead this club out of the doldrums. In his interviews, he has come across as being defeated and cannot explain the teams and his own personal form slump.

I think a real Port Adelaide leader would be bitterly angry with the current results and would do anything to gee his players to perform at the next game.

His views on the upcoming showdown is not inspiring at all. Hard to expect the players to step up against our arch enemy who is in red hot form.

As he was a part of the class of 2007 GF, I feel he could be the centre of the clubs poor playing group culture. Do we need a clean out of the leadership group and who would we promote as captain in his place?

Hearing his interviews on 5aa and 7 news today, I am no longer confident that he can lead this club out of the doldrums. In his interviews, he has come across as being defeated and cannot explain the teams and his own personal form slump.

I think a real Port Adelaide leader would be bitterly angry with the current results and would do anything to gee his players to perform at the next game.

His views on the upcoming showdown is not inspiring at all. Hard to expect the players to step up against our arch enemy who is in red hot form.

As he was a part of the class of 2007 GF, I feel he could be the centre of the clubs poor playing group culture. Do we need a clean out of the leadership group and who would we promote as captain in his place?

Yes and Pittard or if he leaves Trengove.

He's been hot and cold this year but has clearly been playing with a managed ailment. I'd be shattered too being the face of the current shitstorm.

Get him into surgery, pack him off to Jan Juc and see how he's tracking over the summer.

Yeah I think something's been up. He hasn't been keen to kick anything over 30m all year.

From the moment he passed up that open shot from 35m against the Saints, and then spent half the game in the forward line against Carlton - despite the fact we were minus Robbie - it's as Ann as the nose on plain's face.

This is the same bloke who had some ridiculous like 13 touches and 7 clearances in the last quarter of Showdown 35, as well as many other similar clutch performances late in close games over 2013-2014. The leadership ability is well and truly there. I don't know where it's gone this year, but at his best he's up there with the best captains in the league. Would be premature to strip him of the captaincy after one bad year, especially an evidently injury affected one.

This is the same bloke who had some ridiculous like 13 touches and 7 clearances in the last quarter of Showdown 35, as well as many other similar performances over 2013-2014. The leadership ability is well and truly there. I don't know where it's gone this year, but at his best he's up there with the best captains in the league. Would be premature to strip him of the captaincy after one bad year, especially an evidently injury affected one.

I agree to some extent but it really looks like it's weighing on him.

If giving it up leads to a clearer mind and better performance then I'm all for it, and I reckon secretly he might be to at the minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should give Boaky some slack atm - he would be feeling pressure from all sides of the club. Although his TV performance today was ... ordinary.

I think we should give Boaky some slack atm - he would be feeling pressure from all sides of the club. Although his TV performance today was ... ordinary.

I'm maybe insensitive to his issues but do we want a captain to telegraph weakness to our competitors?
As far as I'm concerned if he chooses to play, he is 100% fit and should be leading the team with no compromises to attitude.
Have any other our previous captains had a sulk post a form slump?

People want change yet make every excuse for him.

There is a reason we lose close games.

There is a reason we lose from winning positions.

I am not going to tear shreds off Boak, but the standards on field and off it are set by him.

People want change yet make every excuse for him.

There is a reason we lose close games.

There is a reason we lose from winning positions.

I am not going to tear shreds off Boak, but the standards on field and off it are set by him.

So we strip him of the captaincy and hand it to an undersized ruckman who scheduled his clothing launch for the night of an interstate gameday (which we lost embarrassingly), because a couple of his handful of elite games across his career have come this year, versus the incumbent's scores of them prior to being hampered?

Seems about right.

So we strip him of the captaincy and hand it to an undersized ruckman who scheduled his clothing launch for the night of an interstate gameday (which we lost embarrassingly), because a couple of his handful of elite games across his career have come this year, versus the incumbent's scores of them prior to being hampered?

Seems about right.
I didnt say anything about stripping him of captaincy.

I just think the excuses for him are ridiculous.

The puff piece on the AFL website actually annoyed me.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-...g-year-says-port-adelaide-skipper-travis-boak

I thought Boak's words were going somewhere (we know what we are building to, play their role for the team etc) but they didn't end up at a destination.

The guys coming in need to compete the way we need to.?? It's not wasted if we learn?? Stay together and improve??

I think he was saying we need to learn to try harder.

I'm worried the coaching staff and leadership group don't even know what the problem is. Is it possible that our coaching staff and leadership group are so short sighted? I'm worried that our leaders are either tacticaly inept or yes men. I know its just puff but where is the cake?

Last edited:
This is the same bloke who had some ridiculous like 13 touches and 7 clearances in the last quarter of Showdown 35, as well as many other similar clutch performances late in close games over 2013-2014. The leadership ability is well and truly there. I don't know where it's gone this year, but at his best he's up there with the best captains in the league. Would be premature to strip him of the captaincy after one bad year, especially an evidently injury affected one.
Good post
He too has had to suffer wierd positioning ,gameplans faulty drills and the like and I still hold a high opinion of him

The better question is if he too is not firing whats going on?

I wish I knew a few players personally to get their take on the whole teams form slump

One thing I guarantee it is not about working harder FFS

Writing was on the wall in the trial match at Lizbeth when Boaky noted his lack of explosiveness compared to the Melbourne players. He put it down to Melbourne playing with an extra 30 rotations. Aker was spot on at the start of the year when he said we've been overtraining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back