Opinion Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

The way some are reacting you'd think he'd been getting 8 touches a game, as opposed to averaging 22 and a goal a game.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
TL:DR Captaincy Burden, s**t coaching, out of position. Excuses offered for him here. I do not believe these are the reasons, but plehnty here do. I am sure that of the 17 clubs 1 may think this too and is prepared to make a good offer.

Well a few facts. On his _performance_ then it is undeniable he has been playing s**t. What he did vs Geelong at the end was possibly the worst captaincy of any professional sport I can recall for a long time. Then 3 kicks vs Essendon and now what...9 kicks against a team of cripples in Brisbane and those turnovers- he is barely SANFL standard kicking now.

What is relevant is that these are not aberrations. I've seen every single game he has played for points or finals and know what I see, including those live. His last 50 games have been atrocious. There is no cash for him to have not been spelled or dropped. There is a reason Ken is continually asked "whats wrong with Travis is he injured" over the last few years, never mind the debate for 6 years over "we should have got Selwood" prior to his 2 2 AAs when we agreed it was now a draw...but the last 2 seasons have, anyway, sliding doors and that

So, what would he be worth to someone else? The answer to that is he would be worth more than I think he is worth to us so I would take that offer.

The evidence of that is the persistence of those here who are adamant that he is being played out of position and if we only played him where he won his 2 AAs he would be great again. Unless they are completely wrong then I believe of the 17 other clubs there would be one who may believes that he is worth paying more than I believe he is contributing to us

Add over this the evidence that we have a dud coach and other coaches may also see his effectiveness as being ******ed by poor coaching, direction, sets ups and positioning. I think it is pretty clear that most players have regressed from their peak under Ken Hinckley I expect other clubs would know this too. Or is it just a coincidence that Boak, Wingard, Gray, Lobbe, Hartlett, Pittard are playing well under the level they should be expected to play at?

In addition to this the issue of "captaincy burden"- another excuse offered here for him

I am sure there is another club that would think Travis Boak is worth a punt on a pick 20-30 if they had 2 or 3 before that.

Let me ask you- do you think he would be worth something to ANY other AFL club? Because if not, I assume you are making the case he should be dropped (which I am incidentally on the basis of performance and poor leadership being a playing field cancer)

1. I believe he should be dropped
2. There is no point talking about trading players if Ken isn't dropping them from time to time
3. Coaching isn't the ONLY reason for his poor form but I believe it's a big part of it
4. Pick 40-50 is worth bugger all to us and I think the possibility of a new coach playing Travis in the right position would be a far bigger positive than a speculative pick

You're very strong in your opinion and I think you're expecting others to make extremely strong statements one way or the other. There's nothing wrong with people pointing out external factors for his poor form over the last year and a bit. It's just discussion.

B0ydmoan

All Australian
Jun 6, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I find some of the comments about Boak a bit extreme. Either very disrespectful or over the top (best player of the last decade? LOL).

To me, he has been a good to very good player who is either past it or going through a very long rough patch. Hopefully, he recovers some form and can contribute to the team for a couple of more years.

Average to good captain. Played well when the team was playing well but I don't recall many games where he got us over the line. Especially the past couple of years. When a team fails to win close and/or crucial games the way we do, the captain has to come under scrutiny.

He's time as Port's captain should end with this season.

I enjoyed your comments and in the main agree with the exception of the comment about being disrespectful. For mine the guys serving in Afghanistan have my respect. People earning $700k to kick pig leather and model clothes on instagram do not. They are judged on their performances, and who they might be keeping out of a spot.

B0ydmoan

All Australian
Jun 6, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. I believe he should be dropped
2. There is no point talking about trading players if Ken isn't dropping them from time to time
3. Coaching isn't the ONLY reason for his poor form but I believe it's a big part of it
4. Pick 40-50 is worth bugger all to us and I think the possibility of a new coach playing Travis in the right position would be a far bigger positive than a speculative pick

You're very strong in your opinion and I think you're expecting others to make extremely strong statements one way or the other. There's nothing wrong with people pointing out external factors for his poor form over the last year and a bit. It's just discussion.

TB87 I read and review , evaluate and respect your comments.

Can I ask you these questions

Point 3- what are other reasons his game performance form might be bad? Is off field impacting his preparation perhaps meaning he isn't in proper fitness maybe? Body issues, other

Point 4. It sounds like you are saying its just a matter of how good is the pick you would take for him? Is my observation there correct? If so what woudl be enough for you to say you'll take that?

"extremely strong statements" No i don't think so, moreso just something with substance. I have laid out instances where he was derelict as a captain and leader (ie IMO cost us 4 points vs Geelong) and shown how he isn't performing very well for that role. I don't think its unreasonable to ask for more substance in replies in such a thread.

I enjoyed your comments and in the main agree with the exception of the comment about being disrespectful. For mine the guys serving in Afghanistan have my respect. People earning $700k to kick pig leather and model clothes on instagram do not. They are judged on their performances, and who they might be keeping out of a spot.

You can do the latter and still be respectful. Some of the commentary flying around lately is far from respectful.

B0ydmoan

All Australian
Jun 6, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Make him a tagger

I thought about that and it could be worth a go. As long as he isn't going there because we don't trust his disposal anymore? That would be a poor reason to do so

Kane was reborn(?) as a tagger, and did well. We did well. Then he left and we didn't do as well. Causal and correlation factors yes I know.

I was crying out for a shut down roles on players that reliably repeatedly and consistently open us up. Priddis at WCE, Shiel and Scully for GWS, Sloane for Adelaide.

But apparently the tagger role is dead.

Until someone tags Sloane out of the game and people are saying Adelaide are in trouble, ahhh, the tagger is reborn

I have no problem having a tagger on our team, but is Travis the right person for it. Last weekend I think he, Wines and Wingard all spent less time on ground than Jake Neade. That is a hundred different conversations alone there. But, are you calling for him to be a tagger because the game has gone past him as a playmaker, or, because he would be good in that role?

FWIW I don't think he has the pace or mental application to be a reliable tagger. He goes missing a lot that I watch him, He chose to tag the 9 game Geelong player at the end 40 metres from the goal square leaving Selwood and Dangerfield marked by Sam "put the ring of mordor on and fall into a trance" Gray and we know what happened then.

How about we just drop Jane Neade and just put Boak there in that role? I have no doubt he would deliver at least twice the impact that headless chook can and score goals

If Jake is such a good defensive player that he just has to be in the team, why don't we put him in as a tagger for a while and see how he goes with that?

B0ydmoan

All Australian
Jun 6, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You can do the latter and still be respectful. Some of the commentary flying around lately is far from respectful.

Granted there is no place for personal slurs. Comments like Coward, s**t person, campaigner I agree have no place.

But Poor captain, ran away from contest, dud footballer is about performance and as subjective as it is. Free and fair in the public discourse.

Personally, I think the performance on the field is far more disrespectful to the members and fans than most if not all comments here have been.

Can I offer the post game function 9 days ago as a case in point? They club announced it and told us and invited us to attend it after the game. One hour after that performance no one had arrived. When they did, all it was was Westhoff, Sam Gray and Jonas with Brendan Lade. Westhoff stood by a wall head in hands didn't speak. Sam Gray stood by another wall head in hands can't recall if he spoke.

This was the first game in Melbourne this year. I have 3 kids who are members and they walked out at half time. They said getting a churo would be better. There will be 3 less memberships purchased next year I can guarantee that.

Perhaps if our Coach, Captain and Vice Captain stood before the members, remember, like used to happen at Alberton in the 80s and 90s and decades before? Stood and took it on the chin. Its a 2-way street about what is and what isn't respectful

I remember the post game function in the first final we played, it was MCG vs North where Carey beat us. I went to the post game at the glasshouse and watched all the players appear on stage and apologise. Wilbur was in tears if I recall. I don't want tears, I don't expect all the players, but in this setting I do want to see accountability, especially after that performance

I wonder if more is expected from the paying supporters than those being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and leading the club?

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I see no difference between Ken and Boaky correlation.

If you're happy to slang off Ken I don't see why Boaky is any different.

Boaky stayed great he also got the number 1 and and nice pay packet to do so. (Not saying he did it for the money just bringing balance to the argument)

Hinkley " right man standing"took the job when no one wanted it.

This thread has 16 pages Ken's has 253.

I absolutely agree with with no need for disrespectful comments at anyone in our club. You can make your point without it, but when it comes to Boaky he has been protected a lot out of respect.

Granted there is no place for personal slurs. Comments like Coward, s**t person, campaigner I agree have no place.

But Poor captain, ran away from contest, dud footballer is about performance and as subjective as it is. Free and fair in the public discourse.

Personally, I think the performance on the field is far more disrespectful to the members and fans than most if not all comments here have been.

Can I offer the post game function 9 days ago as a case in point? They club announced it and told us and invited us to attend it after the game. One hour after that performance no one had arrived. When they did, all it was was Westhoff, Sam Gray and Jonas with Brendan Lade. Westhoff stood by a wall head in hands didn't speak. Sam Gray stood by another wall head in hands can't recall if he spoke.

This was the first game in Melbourne this year. I have 3 kids who are members and they walked out at half time. They said getting a churo would be better. There will be 3 less memberships purchased next year I can guarantee that.

Perhaps if our Coach, Captain and Vice Captain stood before the members, remember, like used to happen at Alberton in the 80s and 90s and decades before? Stood and took it on the chin. Its a 2-way street about what is and what isn't respectful

I remember the post game function in the first final we played, it was MCG vs North where Carey beat us. I went to the post game at the glasshouse and watched all the players appear on stage and apologise. Wilbur was in tears if I recall. I don't want tears, I don't expect all the players, but in this setting I do want to see accountability, especially after that performance

I wonder if more is expected from the paying supporters than those being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and leading the club?

Dud footballer is pretty disrespectful. He's certainly not that. No one is saying don't criticise but personal slurs like that go nowhere.

As for the lacklustre post-match, for a start that's not Boak's fault so not sure why that's your example. Also have you contacted the club and said that it was pretty poor and why? Like the Dominoes pretty poor coverage ad. Let the club know so they can do something about it. Just walking away - 3 less memberships - is really no better a response from you than what the club served up in your opinion. How do things improve if there is no meaningful feedback?

I was there every week in the mid 80s to 90s when the coach and captain stood before the members good performance or bad. And I don't remember any disrespect being shown. If there had been I think that person would have been sorted out by the other members who understand the difference between constructive criticism and abuse.

B0ydmoan

All Australian
Jun 6, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dud footballer is pretty disrespectful. For reasons I have stated I don't feel I have an obligation to cowtow, i disagree this is disrespectful and if it is then its a low bar we all cross in a great number of posts in this sub. He's certainly not that. my opinion based on his performance differs No one is saying don't criticise but personal slurs like that go nowhere. i can't actually recall many or any personal insults to him but thats besides

As for the lacklustre post-match, for a start that's not Boak's fault so not sure why that's your example. i strongly disagree. for reasons stated. leadership, or more visibly, lack of leadership. But thats just to my standards, clearly not his or the clubs Also have you contacted the club and said that it was pretty poor and why? no but i will now that you mention it. my experience is from past engagements that the club doesn't listen. My experience is that when they do, in most companies the directors call after you do that i'll be polite of course and will return and report and see how the response is. Like the Dominoes pretty poor coverage ad. Let the club know so they can do something about it. Just walking away - 3 less memberships - is really no better a response from you than what the club served up in your opinion. this is their decision, not mine. I sat there all game, then went to the after match. for them clearly the club is arbitrary. but i can see their point. they are teenagers and wanted them for christmas following the 2013/14 revivals. now they just aren't really interested, for various reasons. their membership lets them go to the grand final if they want but they've just booked to go away that time of year it would appear they lack confidence on that. but this is the no true scotsman fallacy. they aren't truye supporters. The success of a club is by how they engage those who aren't as fanatical as the rusted on supporters, the fair weathers and come latelys. How do things improve if there is no meaningful feedback? this is a valid point i will make my concern known. would you suggest KT is the person to communicate to?

I was there every week in the mid 80s to 90s when the coach and captain stood before the members good performance or bad. And I don't remember any disrespect being shown. I feel this "disrespect" stuff is a red herring Ford. a straw man. I accept I am not objective here but i can't say I can see any disrespect that is personal or unwarranted by performance. I also was there from time to time in the 80s 90s and don't recall when the captain or coach were not there, and believe that this is the more valid element of the discussion I would think and even gives some explanation to issues of respect and disrespect. If there had been I think that person would have been sorted out by the other members who understand the difference between constructive criticism and abuse.
Well as you say if there had been. But thankfully the coach and captain never hid from a bad performance and stood before their members and we were usually winning.
That abuse comment is interesting. "Abuse" is cruel or violent treatment which none of us do really. I've seen 4chan pol now there's abuse go ask Shia LeBouf and his ShiTards about that! I understand the context you were implying, which I see as being that "saying mean spirited things to them repeatedly". I wonder if you conflate negative criticism as abuse?

But you know what, the older and crankier I get, the more I get into the IDGAF category about peoples feelings. Maybe I've watched too many Milo speeches?

Grown men on $500,000. $600,000, $700,000. That's $30,000...a GAME. $10,000 a kick even!

If they want my money and they want the glory, then they can't be immune from objective and subjective criticism can they? I mean shoot, I even use my own name!!! I'm not hard to find, I tell people where I am sitting and what I am wearing at every game I go to. If they don't like it maybe they can go to the post game functions and talk to me about it. remember, they're the ones sending me letters asking me to renew the memberships aren't they

I get your next comment Ford. You've been here with me 5, 7, what..10 years now? "lay off it/ broken record/ we've heard you/ move on". Yeah, your probably right and I'll take your cue and leave it here now. I would say I generally only comment in a few threads stay out of 90% of the threads here because I know my tone is negative and not particularly constructive. So the Ken is a dud coach, Trav is a broken captain, Match day threads mainly. I don't think that's unreasonable.

My heart still goes out to Nathan Lonie. Now there was Abuse

Anyway my little Kekistanian friends, Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and all that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbie4PM

All Australian
May 18, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fumbles too much for inside, plus we have many better inside midfielders. Too slow and cannot kick well enough to play on the wing. Inside 50 kicking is too poor to play on the half forward flank. We have an abundance of half back flankers and he wouldn't be better than them. So that leaves him playing in the forward pocket or in the Magoos for mine.

I know you are passionate B0ydmoan . The disrespect comment was not just directed at you, all the mods have noticed a lowering of attitudes to the players and staff in some posts by some posters. Where this is adjudged to have crossed a line, it has been dealt with.

But as I posted a few weeks ago, there are posters who are becoming increasingly concerned by the level of discussion and are turning away as a result. Nobody wants an environment so toxic that people don't feel comfortable here.

As for Boak's non-attendance at the club event, you don't know that was not taken out of his hands or what the club had organised. He's the club captain but in the end he is directed by club leadership.

Unfortunately players are cocooned from the supporter events but then they are open slather on social media. It cuts both ways.

I think it's good that you take your complaint about the event to the club. They have to know where issues exist so they can fix them.

B0ydmoan

All Australian
Jun 6, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know you are passionate B0ydmoan . The disrespect comment was not just directed at you, all the mods have noticed a lowering of attitudes to the players and staff in some posts by some posters. Where this is adjudged to have crossed a line, it has been dealt with. Appreciate your letting me know that

But as I posted a few weeks ago, there are posters who are becoming increasingly concerned by the level of discussion and are turning away as a result. Nobody wants an environment so toxic that people don't feel comfortable here. I'm not going to argue that. You understand this place and all the forums better than I do. I (genuinely) make an effort to stay out of most every thread here for that reason and appreciate that even though it would be unwarranted to take it from me, I am given open latitude to throw my dummy out of the cot. Thankless task you mods make a good board i'd prefer all people enjoy it here. My points have been made (and made) (and made) under this iteration I guess

As for Boak's non-attendance at the club event, you don't know that was not taken out of his hands or what the club had organised. He's the club captain but in the end he is directed by club leadership. Good point. As I say I will respond and am usually the first person to rectify something like that where I know. Either way, someone let us down that night

Unfortunately players are cocooned from the supporter events but then they are open slather on social media. It cuts both ways. I expect that the great majority are on here and read these threads. In particular their personal threads. I would not be surprised if Neade read the thread debating him i say that because his effort last week (pressure effort) was tremendous. I can't fault his effort last week. If the other players gave that effort we would be a premiership contender. I also say that because I deal with many companies listed on the ASX and work with plenty of company directors and know they are on HotCopper reading all the posts about them and the company.....ALL........THE........TIME. Its human nature to do so in this great goldfish bowl of life. There is absolutely no doubt players and coaches family are here. They live and breath the club and its ups and downs more than us. Its reasonably easy to work out who the players are too, fwiw. But that's another conversation

I think it's good that you take your complaint about the event to the club. They have to know where issues exist so they can fix them. do you have a suggestion? KT?.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Travis does a lot of work behind the scenes.
The players respect him.
He gets my vote as Captain............................ Simple.

Trav is such a legend when it comes to this stuff and you can tell it's close to his heart. He makes regular visits to the Women's and Kid's too away from the cameras.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back