Travis Cloke Contract Discussion Megathread + Trav on TFS tonight - 28/6/12

Remove this Banner Ad

He's probably just spitting out what his dad told him to say.
That's what I thought during the interview, in the past Cloke has always said he want's to play for Collingwood straight up. During this interview he was beating around the bush way to much instead of giving direct answers.

Didn't like the sound of that very much at all.

The usual mealy mouth comments re wanting to stay at the club with his mates, Dad and brother used to be there, blah, blah..
but at the end of the day, he said he needs to think of what's best for himself, still wants five years and would really only look at 4 years if there were extras around the contract.

Also, when asked had he thought of other players potentially being squeezed out (by his large slice of the contract) he replied no, he hadn't thought of that, and rather glibly said he thought the club would work it out...

Not overly impressed with all that I gotta say.

Sounds as though if we don't give him 5 years he wont stay. If he wants to try and squeeze more money out of us therefore us losing a Beams and Wellingham then he can piss off.

He has two good years at Collingwood but somehow thinks his worth more then Swan and Pendles. I'm quite tired of this bullshit. Just would like to know if his gonna stay with us or leave so we can sign up all the other boys who actually wanna stay with us not just for the cash.

I dont want to give him a 5 year deal

What if he does 2 ACL's and is s**t after that we would be crippled beyond belief
I agree. I'm not even all that happy with 4 years tbh.

It will be done for 4 though.

Almost want him to go so those who were comforted by that interview can be proven idiots.

Want him to stay though because he is a star and we would be considerably worse without him.

I believe some of it will count in the TPP, but not all of it, and that has been one of the delays in the contract as all parties had to get the AFL to give their ruling, and that took a few weeks.

What Matty is the source for this? I imagine that if players can get all or some money outside the TPP for merchandise, that opens up an enormous can of worms, especially for struggling teams.

Can't see it happening tbh.

I don't know the latest on those shitty pub deals, but I'd be very interested in the idea of the club promoting Pie trivia nights etc at David Cloke's pub - the Celtic Club. There are plenty of Pie supporters in the city, in fact I think there's a Pies CBD support group. I actually work two minutes walk from there. We've had work lunches there and it's not exactly thriving.

There's an upstairs eating area which would fit 100 at a pinch. You make $30 a head you have @3k per event. You have one a fortnight you have 75k or so extra a year. Invite a club legend and you'll make a bit more.

I reckon that could pass muster with Ken Wood and any increased trade would directly benefit David and whatever DC works out with Trav or his kids is his business. Could also be done informally via Pie networks, press stories etc.

Please take this in fellow posters.

He will keep saying he wants 5 years until it is done as that may net him a bit more money. It's a negotiating tool.

He's a bit on the thick side and has trouble explaining himself well and had some rehearsed answers that he struggles with. Still, you can see he's staying. Relax.

Everyone is always 'worried' about Trav before he appears on the Footy Show, and he always performs brilliantly. they'll likely stitch him up a bit, and whilst I'm not going to expect a 100% perfect outcome, Trav won't go setting the world on fire either, he has a better head on his shoulders than he's given credit for.

He will sign or he won't......I hardly ******* care anymore....JUST SIGN BEAMS!

I really like Trav, but, I think he really came across like a "Daddy Tool" in that interview.

Whatever.........:confused:

Why cant we do like Port have done with Boak, give him a two week deadline. We have other players to worry about as well and finals, we dont need distractions.

What Matty is the source for this? I imagine that if players can get all or some money outside the TPP for merchandise, that opens up an enormous can of worms, especially for struggling teams.

Can't see it happening tbh.
The source is both Caro and Robbo, and yes I know they aren't accurate a lot of the time but they have both mentioned that Cloke's management team have been spotted at AFL headquarters, so in this case I'd say it's pretty strong.

I can't remember the player (at another club) but someone who signed last year got a similar deal in that he got a share of the royalties from all merchandise associated with him as a player, and a share of it was counted outside of the salary cap.

The AFL mentioned it at the time that it was a mechanism put in place to try and help the "stars" of the competition stay at their respective clubs without those clubs having to break the bank or cheat the system (ala Judd).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys just want immediate satisfaction.

Trav has till 1 Nov to sign.

Just cause Schwarz got a rumour on SEN!

You have all been sucked in by SEN again.

Never believe anything that is on SEN!!!!!!

He won't go to Freo, but the SCUM are sniffing around !!
Don't be surprised if you see him end up there if he doesn't get what he wants.
Talk about being given everything by the club and now telling the club to bend over and take it up the A... !!!

You all got sucked in by this moron....

Former Melbourne forward and SEN host David Schwarz said he was 99 per cent sure Cloke had signed. "My bloke just rang me," Schwarz said.
"Travis Cloke has signed with the Pies. That's my information. Four years. Done. This is done and dusted.
"And I reckon he's taken a haircut because he wants to play in a successful team that's going to probably play off in grand finals."

Sounds like it was a really poor decision for him to go on the Footy Show at this time.
I take it you didn't see it?

It was a bit pointless but nowhere near as bad as the panic merchants on here have said.

Seems like it was some easy money for Trav and that's about it.

I take it you didn't see it?

It was a bit pointless but nowhere near as bad as the panic merchants on here have said.

Seems like it was some easy money for Trav and that's about it.
Nah you're right, I didn't see it. That's somewhat reassuring to hear, but I can't imagine what he hoped to achieve by giving that interview. Just makes him look like a tosser.

As Travis said..The deal will get done when it gets done.

He did say Nathan Buckley was one of his best friends..

His other best friends are Cameron Wood...

and Tyson Goldsack and Alan Toovey..

What do they all have in common?????

Travis is Collingwood Family...

I say we put his contract on hold and sign up Reid, Wellingham, Beams etc.

I used to love Trav, but the publicity is getting to him and his dad. They think they are worth more than what they are worth. Yes, he may make a ton of money at another club, but any star player should be taking huge unders to stay at a successful flag competing club. If they don't they can go and play at a crap team for Brownlows and Colemans.Do we really think that Trav is 200k more important than Swan? Or Pendles? Those guys have already delivered us a premiership while Trav was just a good ordinary forward.

The big thing I wanted to hear from Trav was that, yes, he is mindful that his mates need to get some money.
But for him, that is not a consideration. What an absolute joke. Let's say goodbye to him at the end of the year and make a stand.I am well and truly sick of him and the s**t eating grin on his face when he gets asked about his contract.

For those who think we can't win with out him, did you see the Adelaide game?? It's not like he's been flying this year. Pendles and Daisy still have 5-6 years of good footy left in them and our premiership window can stay open for as long as they are fit and healthy.

The biggest disappointment for me about this whole thing is how the culture is changing. Even now you have people coming out and saying, "well I'd definitely just take the money, you only get a certain life span in footy." Unfortunately it reflects the change in society values as well. Life is not about how much money you can make, but the stories and experiences you have picked up along the way. Loyalty and friendship used to be two of the most important values that anybody could have. Now it seems self interest is king. I think a few of these Collingwood boys could do with a trip up north to Brisbane or GWS or the Gold Coast or maybe even across to the Dees or the Bulldogs to see the difference between playing for Collingwood and playing for the rest.

The Collingwood Football Club that we all love is stronger and more powerful than Travis Cloke. We will survive with out him, and I would love for us to prove that we are about more than just premierships. We should be a club that all of us can be proud to support, not a place where we cave into the ego and selfishness of a KPF with ONE 50 goal season to his name. I was annoyed when Pendles was putting a me first attitude, Daisy and Swanny too, but at least they had backed it up with years of consistent efforts on the field. Guys like Reid are sounding like he just wants to play for Collingwood, he is the guy we should be locking in first.

The source is both Caro and Robbo, and yes I know they aren't accurate a lot of the time but they have both mentioned that Cloke's management team have been spotted at AFL headquarters, so in this case I'd say it's pretty strong.

I can't remember the player (at another club) but someone who signed last year got a similar deal in that he got a share of the royalties from all merchandise associated with him as a player, and a share of it was counted outside of the salary cap.

The AFL mentioned it at the time that it was a mechanism put in place to try and help the "stars" of the competition stay at their respective clubs without those clubs having to break the bank or cheat the system (ala Judd).

That's very interesting Matty. We know the AFL were reluctant about FA, so hopefully that's right about wanting to keep stars at a club because a lot of fans I don't think like the NRL/soccer player movement.

However, some clubs will go bananas about merchandise being (partially) exised from the cap. The low level member clubs would say this type of deal would put significant space financially between the rich and poor clubs, and they'd have a good point.

However, I am very much in favour of the club seeking some creative solutions to accomodate Trav. I'm still for the club signing up our other players like Beams while the negotiations go on with Travis, but if we can wangle some other financial arrangements for Travis, you do it. The DC pub deal I mention above is one that is a person removed from Travis and which could be posited to the Cloke camp. I reckon that if Camp Cloke went for it, there's little Ken Wood could say about it, to the point of legal challenge because it's not a direct ASA type stipend to Travis. Phil Scully's recruiting wage was counted toward GSW's cap, but he was directly employed by the club.

An arrangement between Collingwood and David Cloke to promote his pub does not constitute any direct relationship with Travis and can be considered and signed separately - as an entirely separate agreement.

All this Travis piss farting about better not cost us a flag.
What's the total salary cap ?
I heard he wants 1/8 th of it......WTF !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back