Rumour Travis Fimmel - Actor/ former St. Kilda player...?

Crunchbone

Debutant
Oct 4, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi Saints fans
I don't know if any of you watch a great show on ABC2 called, 'The Beast'?
It was the last production Patrick Swayze was involved in.
Anyway, I was just checking out some information on it, when I discovered that one of the main actors on the show is from Victoria, and supposedly was on the St. Kilda list at some point :

http://www.aetv.com/the-beast/cast/index.jsp

Is anyone out there able to confirm this? What year? I take it that he didn't get a game in the seniors?

Thanks very much for your time.

Cuz2Plugger

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Never heard of him, and a quick google showed no results. The name doesn't even ring a bell.

Played for Stk probably means tried out at some level. Not sure.

Crunchbone

Debutant
Oct 4, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well a belated update, yes Travis Fimmel was a Saint. He moved to Melbourne from Echuca in his late teens to play for St Kilda FC, but a broken leg sidelined him before the season began .

Travis of course these days is better know for being Ragnar Lothbrok in Vikings!

vikings-thorsday-ragnar-super-closeup.jpg

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well a belated update, yes Travis Fimmel was a Saint. He moved to Melbourne from Echuca in his late teens to play for St Kilda FC, but a broken leg sidelined him before the season began .

Travis of course these days is better know for being Ragnar Lothbrok in Vikings!

vikings-thorsday-ragnar-super-closeup.jpg
what year would that have been ??

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/vi...m-boy-dazzling-hollywood-20160928-grq6ip.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW07efL52mA

looks like he played juniors not part of the seniors list

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
The U19's were no longer run then.

So it sounds like he must of been at least eligible to play in the Reserves, but his broken leg prevent him actually playing a game.

Do you still follow the footy, Travis? You were a serious AFL hopeful when you were 18 ...

"No, not really."

Not at all?

"I watch it if I'm here."

Didn't you dream of playing for the St Kilda Saints until that broken leg sidelined you?

"Nah … wasn't that good, mate."

A number of articles have variations on:

Aspiring to be a professional Australian rules footballer, Travis Fimmel moved to Melbourne in his late teens to play for the St Kilda Football Club in the AFL, but a broken leg sidelined him before the season began.

Last edited:

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
The U19's were no longer run then.

So it sounds like he must of been at least eligible to play in the Reserves, but his broken leg prevent him actually playing a game.

Do you still follow the footy, Travis? You were a serious AFL hopeful when you were 18 ...

"No, not really."

Not at all?

"I watch it if I'm here."

Didn't you dream of playing for the St Kilda Saints until that broken leg sidelined you?

"Nah … wasn't that good, mate."

A number of articles have variations on:

Aspiring to be a professional Australian rules footballer, Travis Fimmel moved to Melbourne in his late teens to play for the St Kilda Football Club in the AFL, but a broken leg sidelined him before the season began.

Would have been the old Supp List most likely.

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have no knowledge of Travis being a saint. I must say I enjoyed his work as Ragnar on the Vikings, I am looking forward to see him in th e Battle of Lon Tam or whatever the movie to be called, He plays the Australian commander/ Should be a must see for all patriotic Aussies.

I have no knowledge of Travis being a saint. I must say I enjoyed his work as Ragnar on the Vikings, I am looking forward to see him in th e Battle of Long Tan or whatever the movie to be called, He plays the Australian commander/ Should be a must see for all patriotic Aussies.

I had a mate who was shot up not far from there near Nui Dat, i shared a room with him about 6 yrs later, he told me their base had been shelled and mortered wounding quite a few. The next day or so 6 RAR moved out into the rubber to look for V.C ,they were hit by around 2000 VC, the aussies were just over company strength of 100, we suffered 18 killed and 24 or so wounded, the VC estimated 250 killed and 350 wounded.

The boys were on the verge of being over run when the APC's of the Armoured regiment turned up and the Artillary were able to start shelling the area.

A huge battle, but i dont think there were any real winners, there never is.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi guys, just letting you know the Long Tan movie has been out a few weeks. I saw it yesterday at Knox.

The movie itself was reasonably good, although I kept expecting Ragnar to pull out a sword or battle axe and smash someone. lol. For a local production it was pretty well done.

What started out for me as just an afternoon out watching a war movie quickly became something else. It really struck me seeing the number of vets and their families there. Behind me there was an older gentleman who brought along his sons and grandchildren. In front there were a few older bikies. It was quite obvious that they were emotionally invested through their own experiences, which made viewing the movie take on a whole new meaning altogether. Kinda makes you realise the enormity of war and everyone it touches.

I think most were happy enough with the movie. I could hear talk afterwards about some inaccuracies and exaggerations. From the conversations, I gather that there's still unresolved arguments regarding certain details of the battle.

All in all it was a decent movie and well worth watching. It's still showing in a number of cinemas but mostly just 1 or 2 sessions a day. So pls hurry if you want to see it on the big screen.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Hi guys, just letting you know the Long Tan movie has been out a few weeks. I saw it yesterday at Knox.

The movie itself was reasonably good, although I kept expecting Ragnar to pull out a sword or battle axe and smash someone. lol. For a local production it was pretty well done.

What started out for me as just an afternoon out watching a war movie quickly became something else. It really struck me seeing the number of vets and their families there. Behind me there was an older gentleman who brought along his sons and grandchildren. In front there were a few older bikies. It was quite obvious that they were emotionally invested through their own experiences, which made viewing the movie take on a whole new meaning altogether. Kinda makes you realise the enormity of war and everyone it touches.

I think most were happy enough with the movie. I could hear talk afterwards about some inaccuracies and exaggerations. From the conversations, I gather that there's still unresolved arguments regarding certain details of the battle.

All in all it was a decent movie and well worth watching. It's still showing in a number of cinemas but mostly just 1 or 2 sessions a day. So pls hurry if you want to see it on the big screen.
Haven't seen the movie yet but I hope the makers remembered that the battle was actually an ANZAC action not just Australian one.
From what I've read of the post-action reports it was the Kiwi artillery from the 161st Bty RNZA that saved our boys that day from being overrun.
If you don't know what I mean then I suggest you have a read about it, but the essence is that the Kiwi battery has a particular and devastating method of firing that was unique.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Haven't seen the movie yet but I hope the makers remembered that the battle was actually an ANZAC action not just Australian one.
From what I've read of the post-action reports it was the Kiwi artillery from the 161st Bty RNZA that saved our boys that day from being overrun.
If you don't know what I mean then I suggest you have a read about it, but the essence is that the Kiwi battery has a particular and devastating method of firing that was unique.

Patrols continued the following day, 18 August. D Company left the base at 11.15 that morning bound for the Long Tan rubber plantation. As they departed Nui Dat the sounds of a concert by Little Pattie, the Australian entertainer, reached their ears. They entered the Long Tan plantation at 3.15 that afternoon. Less than an hour later the Viet Cong attacked in force, putting the Australians under mortar, machine gun and small arms fire. Only the quick response of a New Zealand artillery battery to desperate calls for support saved D Company from annihilation.

On July 16 1965 161 Battery, stationed at Bien Hoa air base near Saigon, opened fire on a Viet Cong position in support of 1RAR, Australian Army who were both attached to the American 173rd Airborne Brigade.

Just over one year later on 18 August 1966, 161 Bty, 16 Field Regiment, RNZA part of the 1st Australian Task Force at Nui Dat, South Vietnam would be firing in support of D Company, 6RAR in The Battle of Long Tan alongside Australian artillery – 103 Bty & 105 Bty Royal Australian Army and 2/35th Howitzer Battalion, US Army. The Forward (Artillery) Observers attached to D Coy, 6RAR were Capt Morrie Stanley, Bdr Willie Walker and Bdr Murray Broomhall all from 161 Bty, RNZA. They controlled the 24 guns in support of themselves and the rest of D Coy for more than 3.5 hours in the rubber plantation called Long Tan, firing 6-8 rounds per minute (2 above the intense rate) almost non-stop.

105 Australians and 3 New Zealanders (D Coy, 6RAR) fought and defeated 2,500 North Vietnamese and Viet Cong soldiers. 18 Australians and more than 500+ VC and NVA were killed.

Between June 1964 and December 1972 more than 3000 New Zealand military personnel served in South Vietnam. At its peak in 1968 the New Zealand force numbered 543. Thirty-seven men died while on active service and 187 were wounded. This was the first war that New Zealand did not fight alongside Great Britain who did not participate in the Vietnam conflict, instead they supported the forces of the USA and Australia in Vietnam.

and in much geater detail

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

The kiwi battery's role was clearly portrayed mate. It was shown quite clearly that nearly everyone would be dead if it wasnt for them. But be prepared, cos there wasnt much character development for the Kiwis. Just straightforward dialogue.

A few years ago I saw a documentary on Long Tan, and this movie pretty much follows that chain of events. As I mentioned before there were some comments from others present about minor stuff involving the characters(mainly senior officers and their role) and also which weapons were used.

Obviously I'm not as knowledgeable on the subject but I'd say the movie stays true to the publicly accepted chain of events.

It's not a perfect movie but given the budget and local production I reckon it was a decent effort. Hope you guys can have a look when you're free and make up your own mind. Be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.

Back