Past Travis Johnstone (2008-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Travis Johnstone

good performance from tigger, hope he can keep it up for the rest of the season. his defensive efforts allow him to be more involved in the play than he was before his spell, and this could be contributing to his recent good form.

For a player who has been bagged relentlessly (nothing unusual there...always someone copping it and often embarrassing their critics at a later date),it is interesting to note that TJ's stats for the season are right in line with his career averages.

...........Games...Kicks.....HB....Disp....Marks...Tackles...Goals

Career....16.........12.7....4.6...17.3....3.8.......2.2........0.7

OK..obviously there has been years where his disposals have been better..kicked more goals etc. but still the stats are interesting.

A very good game v Sydney - it has been posted that he lifts for finals - the Swans game where he was good was close to a final...so let it rip Trav.

Let it rip indeed!

I've questioned his ticker and his consistency, not his ability. I think this has been the very point made by most who have been critical of him on this tread.

I'm loving his current form and his fight. But he has shown this before, only to dish out some crap efforts soon after. We all know what he is capable of doing from time to time, the expectation is that continues to do it most of the time. It would be great to be able to rely on him.

Go Travis. Go Lions

Well, thats three very good games on the trot from Travis. Fantastic. Let's hope he can keep it going.

I thought his direct opponent - Carazzo was very good tonight, so Trav's defensive game wasn't as good as his offensive game, but Trav was instrumental in our fantastic victory.

He did indeed, he went in hard and he went in low when he had to. As others have mentioned he's still not the defensive weapon of an A.Davey, but his improvement has seen us become a better side. Well done tig, keep repaying the faith!

his defensive side is still as flawed as ever, but was a great ball winner and linkman for us tonight:thumbsu:

I wasn't at the game but on the TV it definitely looked like he put in a fair bit of effort off the ball with his tackling and shepherding. Not so much hard ball gets, but I can't see him ever really adding that string to his bow.

Fantastic game TJ! Was so composed and calm under pressure. The level head we needed. Two clutch goals as well. <3 TJ

A great effort tonight. High kicking efficiency, great composure and silky skills. The question is has Vossy been hiding him for the finals??

He's a finals player. I've said it before in this thread, along with other Melbourne supporters, and he's just proved it again tonight. He always stands up in finals games. Just seems to be in the right spots, and he sets up play, links, and kicks important goals. I know he cops alot of s**t, but he is a marvel to watch when the pressure is on in the big games and he is firing. I'm glad he put in a good performance tonight and is giving you guys something.

I really hope Brisbane win the flag. But with injuries to guys like Black it may be tough :(

Keep up the good work Trav! And go Lions!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Travis Johnstone – 5
A player with a history of killing Carlton sides, he had Carrazzo as his shadow and albeit for a brief period in the second-quarter, struggled to find space to use his exquisite skills.

hmmmm

I wasn't at the game but on the TV it definitely looked like he put in a fair bit of effort off the ball with his tackling and shepherding. Not so much hard ball gets, but I can't see him ever really adding that string to his bow.

If I'm not mistaken he was on nick Stevens for a substantial period who seemed to getting lots of I50s for them. That's all I was referring too. I guess the same can be said about Black v Judd.

I wasn't that impressed. He did pretty well in the second half particularly in the last quarter. In the first half though he was cod ordinary. Matched up on Carrazzo he got a bath most of the night. Carrazzo got free with ease and Johnstone was soft and butchered it when he got it. What he did well all night though was kick straight for goal.

I thought Johnstone was solid.

It was a concern early when Carrazzo seemed to not only be shutting him down, but also getting a bit of the ball himself. I guess it's hard, if you're trying to break a tag and get lose if then your tagger starts getting on the end of it. In Johnstone's defense though, we weren't exactly sharp at the centre clearances, which then makes it hard for someone like Johnstone to play his "natural game".

In his defense yet again, Johnstone worked hard all night and ended up on top. In the past the criticism would have been that had he been shut down early, that he would have been out of it all night and ended up with less than 15 touches and no impact defensively. That didn't happen last night, despite Carrazzo getting on top early.

What has impressed me about Johnstone's work in the last few weeks is that he hasn't let opponents pick up the loose and contested ball easily. He has been prepared to hit body on body, tackle hard and run to make a contest. There were a couple of crucial times last night, when Johnstone didn't actually win the ball, but he prevented an opponent from getting an easy take-away and forced a stoppage. This is what is required, because it's basically our style.

If Johnstone can do this sort of stuff, I'm happy with him getting 20 touches and a goal or two, because with the quality of his disposals, he probably only needs 20 to have an impact.

Glad that he's back in form and I hope that is a catalyst for him playing some valuable quality football for another year or two yet.

Quote:
Travis Johnstone – 5
A player with a history of killing Carlton sides, he had Carrazzo as his shadow and albeit for a brief period in the second-quarter, struggled to find space to use his exquisite skills.

I've got to say that I suspect that whoever did those ratings did not watch the game or has little understanding of it. It reads as though they simply based their ratings on reading the stats and player reputation.

For one, too many players are under-rated (McGrath, Austin, Johnstone, Merrett, Sheldon and Power, and for some reason Stiller gets the lowest rating despite having done nothing wrong all night :confused:) and then there are some players who have been over-rated (Hooper for one!).

Most of the comments show a glaring misunderstanding of the context of the game.

Yup, wasn't great early, Carrazzo was getting away from him a bit, although he was still working defensively on him, and stay with it. He would have died away in the past, but he kept at it all night and ended up on top. Its that kind of work rate that makes him a part of the team. Had 20 touches, and 11 of them are contested. Much better ratio for trapper. Wasn't BOG, but did his part in the team, and thats what counts.

He really stood up when it counted in that last quarter. He was directing traffic in our back 50 and laying shephards to create run, I was really impressed with his game. About 3 or 4 times in a row, he actually pointed where Roe should take the kick out and it seemed to be the right option every time.

He really stood up when it counted in that last quarter. He was directing traffic in our back 50 and laying shephards to create run, I was really impressed with his game. About 3 or 4 times in a row, he actually pointed where Roe should take the kick out and it seemed to be the right option every time.

Agree..especially with your first sentence.

There was a gut-wrenching passage , somewhere near the death where Trav had the ball inside defensive 50, hemmed in near the boundary line and with nowhere to go and seemingly no-one to kick to.

Instead of panicking, he waited, looked ahead and rifled a perfect 40 meter pass down the line and on to Hooper's chest....Hooper at the time, had an opponent hot on his heels, so that pass had to be absolutely perfect....and it was:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Even a half a meter either side and it would have been OOB on the full or a contested situation near center wing, with plenty of Blues players in the vicinity.

That was a crucial situation at a defining moment and he came through with flying colors.

Well done Trav:thumbsu:

Okay so Trav has now given three good performances, though with varying degrees of success and effectiveness. Notably however, in these performances, he has gradually evolved to his customary outside type role, as a finisher, and has been less accountable to his direct opponent as the weeks have rolled on.

I cannot profess to know what role the coaches have asked him to execute, but let's hope that he isn't sliding into old habits. Come to think of it the habits I am referring to are the kind exercised by players referred to as downhill skiers.

Something no Lion could ever be. He has to remain uncompromising and accountable. Always. Otherwise he may as well join the Blues.

Huh? Last night he was good in that regard. Early on he was beaten, but worked his way back into it. Did a lot of the one percent stuff, and went when it was his turn. I really can't fault him for effort last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back