Travis Varcoe joins the Dogs’ coaching staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Not someone I’ve thought about but I actually really like this pick up. Recently retired, been in extremely strong organisations for the last 15 years. Increases our indigenous representation. And I think it’s fair to say he’s not the most talented player in the world but really got the most out of himself to play over 200 games, which I think is the type of player who usually makes the best coach)

Has a lot of grand final experience which helps, and exposure to two different systems.

Hopefully he's on good terms with Treloar

This means nothing to me, in a good or bad way. He's had no prior coaching experience or track record so it's hard to make a judgment either way.
He's a development coach, not a line coach. So will focus on skills, running patterns etc. Good way to start imo. Great signing imo. Interesting he is listed as filling the void left by Russell, but that we will announce a VFL coach separately. So we have essentially split Russell into two roles.

The letter "v" is under-represented in the names of our coaching staff and playing list. Travis Varcoe - good get on 2 counts.

Also, an anagram of his name is Visco Vertara, which as any good Latin scholar will tell you, translates as "teacher of fleet-footed wingmen".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge credit to Brett Goodes as well for his work on the aboriginal community programs

Him and Goodes helping Jamarra and future indigenous players

offtt

Huge credit to Brett Goodes as well for his work on the aboriginal community programs

Him and Goodes helping Jamarra and future indigenous players

offtt
Goodsey doesn't work with us anymore and hasn't for 12 months. He moved back to SA at the end of 2019 to work with Adam.

Goodsey doesn't work with us anymore and hasn't for 12 months. He moved back to SA at the end of 2019 to work with Adam.

Not putting words in VitalDread 's mouth, but I assumed he meant Brett Goodes helped get us to this position with all his work over the years.

Not putting words in VitalDread 's mouth, but I assumed he meant Brett Goodes helped get us to this position with all his work over the years.
True. I moreso meant he wont have much to do with Jamarra if anything at all. Hes a busy dude.

This means nothing to me, in a good or bad way. He's had no prior coaching experience or track record so it's hard to make a judgment either way.
Development coach seems to be the entry level to AFL coaching ranks. Matty Boyd went to Collingwood as a development coach and I think Gia started out at our club as a DC.

Very similar to Moz as someone who played really well to a team structure and a great communicator on field. Would have strong ties with King and Correy. Also possibly a decent reference from Matthew Boyd. Get get all things considered I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back