Travis Varcoe joins the Dogs’ coaching staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes like this appointment.

Been in the system for a long time at 2 strong and successful clubs.

He was a very good, hard working player and he was a tough and aggressive tackler.

Noice.

I stopped reading here. Disgusting.

Not sure what you're insinuating. My post you quoted is now deleted, yet if the Mods had bothered to check, the two things I mentioned are on his Wikipedia page, and were reported in the media, and Geelong made a statement at the time regarding his own blog. I've received an "accusation" warning for stories that are no secret. Hard to verify a story referenced by a poster online when there's a rush to don the jackboots I suppose.

Trav is very highly regarded in the AFL industry world and would have had multiple other clubs going for him in a year that didn't involve football department spending being slashed by one third.

How many other 1st year retired players managed to get a gig at a club? He may be one of the only one. We got one of the best of the bunch, thanks to Jordan Russell opening it up. Awesome stuff.

Not sure what you're insinuating. My post you quoted is now deleted, yet if the Mods had bothered to check, the two things I mentioned are on his Wikipedia page, and were reported in the media, and Geelong made a statement at the time regarding his own blog. I've received an "accusation" warning for stories that are no secret. Hard to verify a story referenced by a poster online when there's a rush to don the jackboots I suppose.
If you wish to post accusations as you did you should provide some form of verification. That's not too much to ask is it?

I hope that the addition of Varcoe and Jamarra is the first step to creating a welcoming indigenous culture at the club. But that's not to diminish what Varcoe brings to the club as a footballer and a person in his own right.
It’s not the first step but I get what you mean, we are making a lot of progress but need more indigenous involvement to continue our progress

Brett Goodes did a lot of great work in the area and this will help build on it

This is a great appointment by Chris the Great!

Varcoe is very experienced at big and successful clubs.

It will also good for Jamara to have an indigenous coach.

Welcome Travis!

Looks like a good choice, he has excellent credentials - 230 games over 15 years, 2 premierships, many finals campaigns, only just retired, noted for his committed professional approach, he is still fit and firing and up with all the current approaches. I always wished we had made Matt Boyd or Dale Morris a development coach, but this bloke is a similar type, so well done WB.

I'm happy with this appointment but wondering why Moz wasn't reinstated? Wasn't he doing this role before COVID?
I’ve seen many people ask this every time a spot in our coaching panel comes up. Moz was re-hired weeks after he was let go in a corporate role. Effectively he’s the ‘face of the club’ to our sponsors etc, working alongside Nick Truelson, our CCO. He’s also already stated he’s doing some work on the track behind the scenes.

I’ve seen many people ask this every time a spot in our coaching panel comes up. Moz was re-hired weeks after he was let go in a corporate role. Effectively he’s the ‘face of the club’ to our sponsors etc, working alongside Nick Truelson, our CCO. He’s also already stated he’s doing some work on the track behind the scenes.
He re-injured his knee and said himself he couldn’t really do the coaching gig justice right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is great to hear, but with the soft cap becoming more of an issue, I wonder if paying a great explayet in a non-footy Dept role but having them help out on the track is stretching the rules a bit.

If Moz is effectively assisting in coaching/development and not being included in the cap we are being a bit cheeky.

That is great to hear, but with the soft cap becoming more of an issue, I wonder if paying a great explayet in a non-footy Dept role but having them help out on the track is stretching the rules a bit.

If Moz is effectively assisting in coaching/development and not being included in the cap we are being a bit cheeky.
would not his role be included in the soft cap? I thought it covers everything other than the players to avoid this kind of thing. If it doesn’t it should as it would be easy to exploit

If you wish to post accusations as you did you should provide some form of verification. That's not too much to ask is it?

That's fair enough, but you need to stop calling them "accusations" when there are historical reports online, and Geelong acknowledged them publicly at the time. Also I framed my post as how he could use these experiences as a positive, I wasn't exactly ranting about them in a detrimental fashion. I could link the reports now, but the moment has gone, and I'm going to move on.

I stopped reading here. Disgusting.
I didn't get to read the post and I'm not out to defend the poster. 'stopped reading', fair enough, if you don't like what you read, stopping is a better than appropriate response. 'Disgusting' ? Are you sure you aren't being over precious ?

That's fair enough, but you need to stop calling them "accusations" when there are historical reports online, and Geelong acknowledged them publicly at the time. Also I framed my post as how he could use these experiences as a positive, I wasn't exactly ranting about them in a detrimental fashion. I could link the reports now, but the moment has gone, and I'm going to move on.
Of course without a source of verification they are accusations to the reader.

I note you still haven't attributed your historical reports. If my position is "fair enough"...then perhaps you should actually post something that backs up your claims.

It's not for Mods to fact check every claim or accusation. The material you posted offended or troubled some other posters (including me) and if you are going to post controversial or sensational information you should expect some others to be at the very least uncomfortable.

Of course without a source of verification they are accusations to the reader.

I note you still haven't attributed your historical reports. If my position is "fair enough"...then perhaps you should actually post something that backs up your claims.

It's not for Mods to fact check every claim or accusation. The material you posted offended or troubled some other posters (including me) and if you are going to post controversial or sensational information you should expect some others to be at the very least uncomfortable.

My support, Mutt, except for the '..offended or troubled some other others (including me).. part. Confected outrage at offense. What would Ted, Charlie, Herb, Wally, even Doug in his sober more thoughtful moments, think ? That nonsense is what our ancestors sailed for 4 months on ships the size of the old U 19s dressing rooms to get away from.

Last edited:
My support, Mutt, except for the '..offended or troubled some other others (including me).. part. Confected outrage at offense. What would Ted, Charlie, Herb, Wally, even Doug in his sober more thoughtful moments, think ? That nonsense is what our ancestors sailed for 4 months on ships the size of the old U 19s dressing rooms to get away from.
Not sure you have a complete grip on all the ancestors of BF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back