Universal Love Travis Varcoe Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're celebrating Trav, Ima use this excuse to post his goal from the 2011 Round 5 game against the Hawks again. Not a moment from a final or anything but as I've said before there's just something about this moment that encapsulates the electrifying footy we played during this era perfectly. And this was another one (like the GF goal from later that year) where Varcs' gut-running was unbelievable, having multiple involvements in the build-up, starting in defensive 50 before popping up in the goalsquare moments later to finish the job. I wish I still had the full version with Rioli's mistake in the build up too that led to this lmao. The commentary - "handballs to Stokes, to Varcoe - VINTAGE GEELONG - ooohh hits Podsiadly lace out!" - is awesome here. It captures that feeling you had at that time that our best was completely unstoppable. I just like the way the commentary makes you feel like there's this tidal wave of Geelong brilliance sweeping down the field and it builds to a crescendo wherein Varcoe's goal just feels inevitable. 😍

Last edited:

Thank you Trav, fantastic player who served us very well throughout the Golden Era with a calvalcade of highlights and moments of brilliance. Forever a part of the Geelong Football Club's proud history with his incredible 2011 Grand Final

Alongside his brilliant 2011 Grand Final, Trav's opening goal of the 2018 Grand Final, played not long after his sister passed away was truly a very emotional and special moment for football

Top footballer, top bloke, very humble - very honored that this board had an association with him during his entire career. I had the duty of contacting the club when I was a mod to see if we could the new recruit Varcoe - was rapt to find out that he was still available - snapped him up. Later when the club asked if we would be willing to share Varcoe, it was a case of yeah - nah - the guy is too special.
I understood why he he went to the pies and always wished the best for him. He gave everything he could and hope he can do some special things now that he is an ex-footballer.

Well done Trav!
Literally took on the biggest guernsey in football and did it proud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just went to watch it on YouTube and it's not on there. Can you believe that?
Old Geelong board mod SJ used to have it on his youtube channel but I think he deleted it.

Edit: oh says he's still around. there you go.

Could never believe how some on this Board didn’t see hard tough Travis was - including running beyond exhaustion for example in the last quarters of 2 winning grand finals where he was one of the best on the ground when it mattered most. Legend, a player ahead of his time and one who should always honoured by the club and it’s supporters. Thanks Travis, you were amazing.

I think there's a bit of rose-tinted glasses going on here to be fair. Varcoe did have one very, very important game where he played well, and that will always define his career - but if you take that game away, his football career is more defined by inconsistency and injury.

He was certainly unlucky with missing the whole year in 2012 and arguably he was never really the same footballer again. I think a few people have short memories on this board - he was the Geelong board whipping boy after Hawkins came good (to be later replaced, of course, by Motlop).

I don't think that the way that AFL changed since he was drafted really suited him. Varcoe had outside polish and speed, but was fairly light-framed and easy to knock off the ball. He was a beautifully clean ball-handler, but could drift out of games and perhaps didn't quite reach the level that was hoped for when he was first taken on.

One of my favourite players during our flag era, an excitement machine and a genuinely good person off the field.

I was desperately hoping he would win another flag with the Pies in 2018.

Handball to Chappy for the winning goal in 09 GF, first goal of the 11 GF and his final goal in the 11 GF are the stuff of club legend.

Go well in retirement, Trav.

Trav played 138 games at Geelong and was a valuable contributor to our 2009/2011 flags. This board sponsored him during his whole time at the Cats. I wish to congratulate Trav on a great career with 2 Premierships to his name and wish him all the best in his life after football.

Such a weird game. Only had 22 on the board to half time. Our final score was 122. Pies didn't exactly just stop dead in the 2nd half either.

I think there's a bit of rose-tinted glasses going on here to be fair. Varcoe did have one very, very important game where he played well, and that will always define his career - but if you take that game away, his football career is more defined by inconsistency and injury.

He was certainly unlucky with missing the whole year in 2012 and arguably he was never really the same footballer again. I think a few people have short memories on this board - he was the Geelong board whipping boy after Hawkins came good (to be later replaced, of course, by Motlop).

I don't think that the way that AFL changed since he was drafted really suited him. Varcoe had outside polish and speed, but was fairly light-framed and easy to knock off the ball. He was a beautifully clean ball-handler, but could drift out of games and perhaps didn't quite reach the level that was hoped for when he was first taken on.
This is all true but you know what? I don’t actually care. The fond memories dominate all the gripes I had over the years.

Thank you Trav, fantastic player who served us very well throughout the Golden Era with a calvalcade of highlights and moments of brilliance. Forever a part of the Geelong Football Club's proud history with his incredible 2011 Grand Final

Alongside his brilliant 2011 Grand Final, Trav's opening goal of the 2018 Grand Final, played not long after his sister passed away was truly a very emotional and special moment for football

Travis Cloke has not touched the ball for 28 mins. One of the great lines and moments in that game. Still sends shivers down my spine.

True. But those gf goals make all that redundant. Especially kicking our first 2 in 2011. Got us off to a flyer. That first burst out of the middle and running goal was superb.

Varcoe wrongfully copped it harshly from Geelong fans, became a human punching bag (mainly due to that PF miss) in the end but the bloke gave his all for us and will forever be remembered as one of our dual premiership players in possibly our best side ever, he gained a hard edge when he moved to Collingwood and i always thought it would been good to still have him as he never took a backward step. Workrate always 100%.

Wish him all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back