Universal Love Travis Varcoe Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Varcoe wrongfully copped it harshly from Geelong fans, became a human punching bag (mainly due to that PF miss) in the end but the bloke gave his all for us and will forever be remembered as one of our dual premiership players in possibly our best side ever, he gained a hard edge when he moved to Collingwood and i always thought it would been good to still have him as he never took a backward step. Workrate always 100%.

Wish him all the best.

Thing is with the PF miss, it would've only tied the scores if he'd converted, and Hawthorn probably would've overrun us in extra time anyway if it went that far as we were basically running on fumes in that last quarter.

Thing is with the PF miss, it would've only tied the scores if he'd converted, and Hawthorn probably would've overrun us in extra time anyway if it went that far as we were basically running on fumes in that last quarter.

Yeah true but he still got the blame which was unfair since we threw away a 4 goal lead in the last.

Pretty subpar commentary of it too, which is a shame as I like Anthony Hudson as a commentator. Just made it sound like it was an ordinary run of the mill goal.

Anthony Hudson is the best in the business usually but yeah, he butchered that call.

Unfortunately the radio commentators didn't do any better. If you listen to the multi-call audio on the Grand Final DVD, Rex Hunt on Triple M used it as yet another excuse to dive in to MMM commentary box banter ("Eddie's gone purple like the Warrior"), Tim Lane on 3AW incorrectly states that it was his fourth goal, and the SEN team is instantly distracted by a possible injury to Stevie J as soon as the ball goes through and starts talking about that instead of appreciating the moment.

Last edited:
One of my all-time favourite Cats, as many who have been on this board long enough can attest to.
No rose-coloured glasses here. Made the precious #5 jumper alive again.
His reaction times were so quick, only the really special players could keep up with him.
Many of the highlights have been described- the Buddy run down , the 09 GF handpass to Chappy, the 3 x 2011 goals, the euphoric vision of his celebration after that 3rd 2011 goal, that smile, and he was a really humble and modest man.
Players like Trav , Wojo , GAJ, Chappy, SJ and Scarlett made watching the Cats a joy in our golden era.
Injuries did deprive us of possibly an all-time great Cat in retrospect, but the great memories will linger on.

Not many players can be credited with kicking the first goal in 2 GF's for 2 different clubs.

Last edited:
Anthony Hudson is the best in the business usually but yeah, he butchered that call.

Unfortunately the radio commentators didn't do any better. If you listen to the multi-call audio on the Grand Final DVD, Rex Hunt on Triple M used it as yet another excuse to dive in to MMM commentary box banter ("Eddie's gone purple like the Warrior"), Tim Lane on 3AW incorrectly states that it was his fourth goal, and the SEN team is instantly distracted by a possible injury to Stevie J as soon as the ball and starts talking about that instead of appreciating the moment.
I don't think they necessarily caught on that it was the same player at all three contests.

I don't think they necessarily caught on that it was the same player at all three contests.

I think it was Matthew Lloyd who mentioned on Channel Ten's commentary that Varcoe was "spent" from running the full length of the ground to kick the goal, if I recall correctly it was when they zoom in on him catching his breath after they return from the post-goal ad break

Since we're celebrating Trav, Ima use this excuse to post his goal from the 2011 Round 5 game against the Hawks again. Not a moment from a final or anything but as I've said before there's just something about this moment that encapsulates the electrifying footy we played during this era perfectly. And this was another one (like the GF goal from later that year) where Varcs' gut-running was unbelievable, having multiple involvements in the build-up, starting in defensive 50 before popping up in the goalsquare moments later to finish the job. I wish I still had the full version with Rioli's mistake in the build up too that led to this lmao. The commentary - "handballs to Stokes, to Varcoe - VINTAGE GEELONG - ooohh hits Podsiadly lace out!" - is awesome here. It captures that feeling you had at that time that our best was completely unstoppable. I just like the way the commentary makes you feel like there's this tidal wave of Geelong brilliance sweeping down the field and it builds to a crescendo wherein Varcoe's goal just feels inevitable. 😍
Love this as well because he's run almost the length of the ground and still looks like he's doing it easy - was such a unique player in that respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2011 Qualifying Final against Hawthorn. For those who remember we kicked 4 quick goals in about 5 mins in the 3rd to put the game away. ( Pods Stevie J Ottens and Hawkins- Oh Hes a big Tom Cat tonight)

Varcoe started that with a ripping tackle in the middle that won a free kick and started the whole process.

Always found that Varcoe was judged more severely than other players of his position and role, maybe because of the number he wore? His 2011 GF performance more than justified his low-stat tendencies and I was disappointed when he went to Collingwood (mainly because they're the one team you can always comfortably despise without consideration for their perspective).

Who is the 3rd chap with Ling and Stokes?
Scott Gullan... journo for Herald Sun and wrote Scarlo's book with him

GO Catters

Scott Gullan... journo for Herald Sun and wrote Scarlo's book with him

GO Catters
And I was going to reply that the unknown individual was the all knowledgeable dazbroncos

Like surely the club calls upon your knowledge and info, rather than letting krock be the main source of your wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back