Player Watch Travis Varcoe (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

To me our best player the final series given what he had to deal with.

How many more years do you reckon he has left?
Whatever it is it won’t be enough. He is everything you want in a player/clubman/person.

Last edited:
Great human being.

Great great great club man.

One other thing I've noticed for quite a while, how much the Geelong people still care (even love) Travis over the years. Says it all.

(Chris Mayne likewise is much loved by Freo people)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was wondering if anyone has suggested naming our AFLW and VFLW B&F medals after Maggie Varcoe. She may not have played for us but she's family and it would be due recognition of her family. (Yeah I know the name bit might be touchy....but surely we could investigate it?)

To me our best player the final series given what he had to deal with.

How many more years do you reckon he has left?
I am full of admiration for him but he wasn't in our 10 best players. He did have moments of impact which is important and on that basis he was worth his spot even puttting aside the emotional impetus he would have provided but the emotion of the ocassion and circumstance has inflated his percieved output. That said he's a must keep on the list and an important player.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has suggested naming our AFLW and VFLW B&F medals after Maggie Varcoe. She may not have played for us but she's family and it would be due recognition of her family. (Yeah I know the name bit might be touchy....but surely we could investigate it?)
I don't want to sound cold but No.
She never played for Collingwood and as admirable and probably inspirational as Travis has been, he's been at Collingwood for 5 minutes. The bloke in your pic or even his brother, Lou Richards, Murray Weideman..... there are lots of people that deserve such an honour. In time maybe an AFLW Collingwood player but this would be an inappropriate short term emotional recationary decision. A bit like the no 35 albeit on a different plane.

Last edited:
I really want and hope Varcs can keep playing good footy for us, to get to 100 Collingwood games.
I know the chances are small, but i would love him to be in that category. I'm not sure he even HAS a son, but it doesn't matter.

I’m thinking of a new role for Varcoe next year. A shift to defence similar to Leon from 2010 to 2011.
Although Trav has great moments in games currently he has become a fairly low possession getter.
I reckon I’m onto something.

I like you a great deal, Varcs, but it would be bordering on love if you hadn’t kicked the first two goals against us in the 2011 GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back