Player Watch Travis Varcoe (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be definitely hoping that happens next year. That said form demands selection and we didn’t see much VFL form last year.

I think we need a few more young players coming through. That list is just that.... a list. There is nobody there apart from Stevo and hopefully Quaynor who is a top line recruit. Apart from them there are huge expectations for improved output from Tbrown Murphy and kelly in particular (of those yet to debut).

Of those who have played a bit, Sier is the key but his commitment has come under doubt. Wills is 26. He hardly qualifies in the up and coming category. Daicos’s career may be approaching the crossroads. And C Brown didn’t make the best of the opportunities presented to him this year. I’m not counting Stevo, he’s obviously a gun already

Hard to make too many calls on many of them after this season given the way it played out. Appleby, Murphy, Kelly, T Brown, Quaynor all had significant injury issues. Sier and Daicos didn't escape that either although to a much lesser extent. Several others were coming from a long way back and were unlikely to impact this year. Another full preseason under belts and I'm optimistic about what some of them could bring in 2020.

I have really high expectations on Murphy and T Brown in 2020 and I think they've shown enough to justify that.

Probably should have included Wilson in this discussion. Could see him staking a claim on a 3rd tall forward role sometime in 2020. A good preseason from him might be enough to give WHE cause for concern.

You would have gone for the pair that had one game between them this year as opposed to the pair that actually played a fair chunk of games?

Pretty sure that's what I said.

Or it wouldn't have significantly changed the outcome and getting the experience into Brown was great development.
I would've preferred to get to the GF and worry about Cal's development later.
Hypothetical but at least one of Brown's air kicks in the PF would've been handled better by TV. The conditions were made for someone like Varcoe's ball skills and speed.

I never said you claimed to be that role I just said you’d suck in that role.

Doubt there are any on this board that'd be any better, we've all got our peccadilloes .

I like Varcoe but I think he's close to finished. He couldn't make an impact when needed this year and that's why he wasn't in the team at the end.

It's a bit of a numbers game. Our first pick is 35. We'd have to be very lucky to get a players that will be a top end player. If we get a players that becomes a solid first 22 player in 2 years we will have done well. The odds say we need to bring in 5+ players from mid/late in the draft or free agents. We've cleared 2 list spots through the retirements of Wells and Goldsack. With Reid and Varcoe retained, I'd be letting Dunne go unless were are going to play Moore as a forward but if that was likely I would have let Reid go. Broomhead might be able to be packaged for a slight pick upgrade or sent to SA with Aish and a pick for something reasonable. I can't see Broomhead improving the 22 much, if at all, that played on any given day this year so failing a trade I'd let him go. I suspect he'd get a chance elsewhere in he rookie draft. Aish is a decent player but if Langdon comes back fit he's borderline best 22. Same with Scharenberg. If we got a deal for either I'd take it. Mangen & Appleby are VFL players who can fill in if needed but if we need list spots I'd cut them. I'm not sold on Noble but he should have another year to see how he develops. Crocker should be cut (not sure of his contract status). There would be a few others playing for their future in 2020. If we want to trade something of at least some value, we only need 1 of Wills & Sier. There is high demand for big mids.

Hypothetical but at least one of Brown's air kicks in the PF would've been handled better by TV. The conditions were made for someone like Varcoe's ball skills and speed.

No guarantee Varcoe over Brown would have changed the outcome. Stats comparison for the season suggests the opposite.

Hard to make too many calls on many of them after this season given the way it played out. Appleby, Murphy, Kelly, T Brown, Quaynor all had significant injury issues. Sier and Daicos didn't escape that either although to a much lesser extent. Several others were coming from a long way back and were unlikely to impact this year. Another full preseason under belts and I'm optimistic about what some of them could bring in 2020.

I have really high expectations on Murphy and T Brown in 2020 and I think they've shown enough to justify that.

Probably should have included Wilson in this discussion. Could see him staking a claim on a 3rd tall forward role sometime in 2020. A good preseason from him might be enough to give WHE cause for concern.

I’m not making calls on them but many will not make the grade, that’s just a statistical fact of life. I think we need more of them to choose from to improve the hit miss odds, and fewer middling players in their mid and late 20s chewing up list spots and salary cap

He's a spud.

Other than one or two random halves here and there, he hasn't offered a thing since 2017.

I can understand giving Reid an extension due to the structural cover he provides. Varcoe just isn't AFL standard and plays a role we are well stocked in.

I would have played Varcoe, but at the expense of WHE. But the conditions weren't made for Varcoe's ball skills. He's rarely one touch in the dry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a spud.

Other than one or two random halves here and there, he hasn't offered a thing since 2017.

I can understand giving Reid an extension due to the structural cover he provides. Varcoe just isn't AFL standard and plays a role we are well stocked in.

But it's not an area we're well stocked in. We've got Brown, Thomas and Varcoe as the only options for the roles they play. We seemed to favour playing two of them as crumbing forwards. The other forwards we tried to isolate rather than use as crumbers. The issue is that our crumbing forwards didn't get to contests.

Personally, I think it was more to do with our structures than the game reading or ability of Varcoe, Thomas and Brown.

Surprised by both he and Reid, to be honest. Hope he has a great season in 2020.

Reid I understand because we need the key position depth.

However retaining Varcoe makes me think the club expects to lose a gun small forward like Crocket and he is retained as depth due to that player exit.

Or maybe I mean Elliott.....

But it's not an area we're well stocked in. We've got Brown, Thomas and Varcoe as the only options for the roles they play. We seemed to favour playing two of them as crumbing forwards. The other forwards we tried to isolate rather than use as crumbers. The issue is that our crumbing forwards didn't get to contests.

Personally, I think it was more to do with our structures than the game reading or ability of Varcoe, Thomas and Brown.

But he's not a crumber. He hasn't been anything like that since long before he left the Cats.

He spends most of his time floating between pocket and flank, not getting the ball, running to all the wrong spots and not laying anywhere enough tackles for a player who doesn't kick goals or set them up.

He occupies all the same spots as Stephenson and Thomas do but just doesn't offer anything offensively or defensively. Unfortunately, he's just no good. Either is Brown IMO but that's a different discussion.

Last edited:
But he's not a crumber.

He spends most of his time floating between pocket and flank, not getting the ball, running to all the wrong spots and not laying anywhere enough tackles for a player who doesn't kick goals or set them up.

He occupies all the same spots as Stephenson and Thomas do but just doesn't offer anything offensively or defensively. Unfortunately, he's just no good. Either is Brown IMO but that's a different discussion.
I just reckon all of Thomas, Brown and Varcoe are pushed too high in our defensive structure and thus don't get forward in time to hit the ball drop. Or when one of them does, they have no support, it's a one on three at ground level, where you're rarely going to lay a tackle or do anything offensively.

Stepho is a different story, becasue they try to isolate him, rather than using him for crumbing duties.

I have a feeling we may have seen his last game in the black and white...will take him a good 3-6 months to get back from surgery...and barring further injury disaster (which isn’t unprecedented at Collingwood) I doubt he’ll make his way back into the team.

I have been a big fan, and we definitely won out of the three way trade. Big game player.

good luck recovering but I fear he maybe finished and over taken by some of the you get prototypes.

Varcoe Dunn and Beams. Three wasted list spots.

That said Dunn hasn’t been listed yet so hoping common sense prevails and we use our last available pick on some youth .

Honestly what a mess add Reid to that group

Would have preferred to keep Crocker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back