Player Watch Travis Varcoe (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't expecting we'd see much of him at senior level this year but was always going to be good depth and a great role model for the kids at VFL level. Disappointing if this news is true.

EDIT: Confirmed....

I get the sentiment around having players like Varcoe, Dunn and Reid on the list but I think they would be offering more to us as cheap experience than kids at the arse of the draft. Getting rid of all three in one off-season would have been a mistake in my view.

Greenwood though earned another year.

It sucks for Trav but I personally don't have him best 22 anymore. Won't be a big loss for our Round 1 side.

But that’s the problem. A young player should be on the list in his place

Melbourne Hawthorn, Essendon, Adelaide. GWS, GCS and the Weagles all passed on RD selections like us so maybe the young players just weren't there or of sufficient quality/development to offer any depth.

Heart breaking for Trav, while not our most important or best player always played in the right spirit and had the ability to “do” something when required.

Will he go onto the LTI list? And if so does that open a door for us in terms of pre season draft/ SPS players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heart breaking for Trav, while not our most important or best player always played in the right spirit and had the ability to “do” something when required.

Will he go onto the LTI list? And if so does that open a door for us in terms of pre season draft/ SPS players?
If they expect him back within the first month of the season he won't be on the LTI list.

But that’s the problem. A young player should be on the list in his place

I don’t know. He’s obviously past his best.

Yes he shouldn’t be on the list from the point of view that an ageing list needs regeneration. But not if it means taking kids late in the draft who have only a slight chance of playing more than 10 AFL games.

No from the point of view of throwing away quality depth. Imagine if we are injury addled late in 2020 and we have to blood young Bianco in the back pocket in a final? Or play an unsuited player like Daicos in the forward line again? Varcoe could come in and play those roles at a critical time for a club that’s still in its premiership window

But yeah, retaining him was a 50/50 call that might now not work out for us.

Quick recovery, still needs 17 games for the Varcoe offspring to get free passage to our great club.
Now that is a good point.

It is bad news for Trav and the club, but I am not sure whether there would be another 17 games left in him considering the up and comers that may replace him.

Good luck Trav.

If they expect him back within the first month of the season he won't be on the LTI list.

I agree that the club seem relatively positive about him being back early.

However, and I won't pretend to be any sort of expert on this matter, shoulder reconstructive surgery doesn't sound like something one bounces back from to quickly? What would the normal timeline be for such a procedure?

Melbourne Hawthorn, Essendon, Adelaide. GWS, GCS and the Weagles all passed on RD selections like us so maybe the young players just weren't there or of sufficient quality/development to offer any depth.

Everybody passed on Marlion Pickett in last years ND too.

Recruiting youth or mature age rookies is by its nature hit and miss. But if you don’t have a go you’ll never ever know. It’s a numbers game too, the more you give an opportunity to, the more chance you have of finding a gem.

I would have liked the club to have been a little more ruthless with their older players at the end of 2019. It’s not too late though, they can still tell Dunn thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back