Strategy Trengove in Limbo

Remove this Banner Ad

Would he be more useful under a different game plan? How much of his decline is Ken-related? It would be sad to get rid of a legend like Jacko if Ken isn't here in 2019 and he has the potential to return to being a valuable player for us.
THIS

Good post
You have certainly made me think
How much of this decline is Ken related?
Lets see .. Neade at FF
.... No forwardline
..... Too higher press so Joe the goose goals make FBs look bad
......poor F50 entries so forwards look bad
......outrageous selections

I think this is a very important point that you make

He once was a very good CHB

Hmmmmm

As a restriced FA, we can match the offer to force a trade and up the desired compensation to players/picks of our liking, rather than just a token compensation pick. Carlton's second round pick will be higher than the second round compensation pick I suspect we would be offered by the AFL.

It's worth remembering how lucky we've been with injuries this year.

If Ryder went down we'd be absolutely screwed

For the first time in years, we have quality depth all over the park. Not keen on letting players walk for fickle reasons.

Sure, avoid an overly long contract but I'm not a fan of comparing every deal to the Lobbe situation. His fall from grace was unprecedented and the club learned from that mistake.

+1 for keeping Jacko around. Does whatever the coaches ask of him, is in the prime of his career, can plug many holes and is a quality individual.

It's worth remembering how lucky we've been with injuries this year.

If Ryder went down we'd be absolutely screwed

For the first time in years, we have quality depth all over the park. Not keen on letting players walk for fickle reasons.

+1 for keeping Jacko around. Does whatever the coaches ask of him, is in the prime of his career, can plug many holes and is a quality individual.

Fair call

But we should be honest about pecking order

Yeah listening to either Voss/Nicks the other day, they have big plans for Billy next year and is part of the reason he had surgery before this year ended.
On this, I'm surprised the SANFL doctors allowed this surgery to happen as I'm lead to believe that he could have played the year out in pain without doing any further structural damage.

What happened to playing to line? Are we taking the piss?

Yeah listening to either Voss/Nicks the other day, they have big plans for Billy next year and is part of the reason he had surgery before this year ended.

Exciting news. His mobility is such an asset.

Think we'll see a similar scenario play out as it is for Pittard, take significantly less coin than he'd get elsewhere & less than he's currently on for a 3 year deal to stay at the club he's comfortable with providing he doesn't get the Lobbe treatment assuming he can improve his game enough to push for that best 22 spot.

Jacko is an extremely proud & confident individual I don't think he'd jump ship thinking that he'd be overtaken by youngsters that are unproven at AFL level & he is much better than at SANFL level, he'll never be a 2nd forward but still think he can work on his game enough to become that Tippet-esque 3rd tall.

I'm one for keeping quality individuals & versatile AFL standard players on your list in case of a worst case scenario such as a long term injury to a ruckman/defender/forward & in Jacko's case he's no Lobbe when it comes to meekly accepting your fate as not good enough.

I'm actually proud that our club provides a culture that has players willing to take unders to stay put & try to push for ultimate success ala Hawthorn & Geelong in recent years.

I bloody love Jacko, what has happened tho is the game has got faster, its all about speed now, you can see what difference Dougs makes in the backline. Jacko struggles forward coz of that lack of a turn of pace in the first 5-10 yards I reckon. One of our best club men ever in the short AFL history

We have better options now. This is another Lobbe situation. I hope the outcome is different.

He has provided good service to the club which hes been well paid for.

It's nothing like the Lobbe situation. Lobbe had shown the ability to play competent football for about a year and a half when we signed him to a long term deal. Trengove is a long term leader of the club.

I think we should aim to keep him. Obviously if someone makes a stupid offer for him then we will have to part ways but I doubt that is what is happening here. Experienced key position players that can play at both ends of the ground and in the ruck are not easy to come by. And however confident we are in the futures of Howard, Marshall, Frampton, etc, they are all still unproven commodities at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bloody love Jacko, what has happened tho is the game has got faster, its all about speed now, you can see what difference Dougs makes in the backline. Jacko struggles forward coz of that lack of a turn of pace in the first 5-10 yards I reckon. One of our best club men ever in the short AFL history

Totally agree.

Unfortunately, the evolution or perhaps devolution of footy and ever changing game plans make it difficult for some players to be the 'right fit'. Keeping a tight knit group of players yet refreshing a squad is an extraordinarily difficult task.

Haven't been sure this year whether Jacko's future is with the club. Feels cold, but I do think it's for the best that both Jacko and the club explore their options. Certainly no hard feelings if he does leave, but I wouldn't be upset if he does stay. I do believe he'd get more opportunities elsewhere though.

It's nothing like the Lobbe situation. Lobbe had shown the ability to play competent football for about a year and a half when we signed him to a long term deal. Trengove is a long term leader of the club.

I think we should aim to keep him. Obviously if someone makes a stupid offer for him then we will have to part ways but I doubt that is what is happening here. Experienced key position players that can play at both ends of the ground and in the ruck are not easy to come by. And however confident we are in the futures of Howard, Marshall, Frampton, etc, they are all still unproven commodities at AFL level.

Wasn't Lobbe our VC?

Wasn't Lobbe our VC?

2015. He had only really established himself in the best 22 during the 2013 season and then followed up with a reasonably good 2014. The club jumped too early in assuming he was going to be a long term player and leader.

Trengove has been a heart and soul player for nearly a decade now. I still think it's a poor comparison.

Gee after watching the presser with Hammer just now and watching him respond to the question about Jackos contract I'd say he is going and they know it already! Hammer definitely went on the back foot and you even see a bit of emotion as he answered.
I'm not that good a reading body language but considering how positive he was about Pitard and then despondent He was about Jacko I reckon there's something not right there.

If he doesn't come back this week or first week in finals I'd say he is out and he has told the club so they aren't playing him...

In the event we lose Trengove to Free Agency, do we gain a compensation draft pick?

I'm assuming it will either be in the first round, immediately after Brisbane's second pick, the one we traded last year, or immediately after our first pick somewhere in the second round, which will be somewhere in the late 20's/early 30's

Trengove as CHB is worth keeping.

Trengove as CHF is not.

I hope he signs as he is a good player, just a shame for him that he has fallen down the pecking order due to helping out the team.

If Jacko re-signs as a backup KPD/backup ruck then I don't think we need to draft a KPD.

Jonas-Clurey-Howard at AFL level. Trengove-Hombsch-Austin at SANFL level. Lienert as well but can also go play in other positions.

In the event we lose Trengove to Free Agency, do we gain a compensation draft pick?

I'm assuming it will either be in the first round, immediately after Brisbane's second pick, the one we traded last year, or immediately after our first pick somewhere in the second round, which will be somewhere in the late 20's/early 30's
I think we do, I don't think the AFL have abolished that yet. But if we sign a free agent I don't think we get any compensation pick. That's my understanding of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back