Strategy Trengove in Limbo

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly considering Jacko stayed loyal in our ******* awful era and his constant change of roles for the good of club he gets a free pass on leaving for more dosh in my eyes. Has a kid, has a wife and would go straight into many other clubs best 18 as a KPD where he belongs.

yeh but frampton is a genuine ruckman who can mark around the ground

Billy has a long way to go as a ruckman, Jacko would be a better ruckman at this point. As for marking, you may be right but we won't know until Billy plays in the big league.

Jackson should be dominating backlines but
Billy has a long way to go as a ruckman, Jacko would be a better ruckman at this point. As for marking, you may be right but we won't know until Billy plays in the big league.
Frampton's ok, i expect him to get much better next year, his marking around the ground is very good and his decision making with ball in hand for a big guy is top notch, you have to remember he hasn't played many full games in the ruck with Lobbe & PL in the maggies, I had doubts on him early but now im very confident we are onto a winner

Jackson should be dominating backlines but

Frampton's ok, i expect him to get much better next year, his marking around the ground is very good and his decision making with ball in hand for a big guy is top notch, you have to remember he hasn't played many full games in the ruck with Lobbe & PL in the maggies, I had doubts on him early but now im very confident we are onto a winner

Time will tell, Jacko dominated last week against Norwood but can't bring the same game to the AFL.

If Billy does make it, fair play to the recruiters as he was almost the last guy taken in the 2014 draft.

would
Time will tell, Jacko dominated last week against Norwood but can't bring the same game to the AFL.

If Billy does make it, fair play to the recruiters as he was almost the last guy taken in the 2014 draft.
how much has frampton grown since he was recruited, to the naked eye it looks like he has added a few centimeters, i remember thinking when he was recruited that he was an undersized ruckman that could jump and was quite athletic?

I am as excited as anyone about Billy but how often has he had a 4 goal game like Jacko had? From how many SANFL games?

He is still definitely behind Jacko at this stage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why are we expecting Frampton to step straight into Jacko's role? As much as I like the kid, he hasn't been given a single game yet.
Nor has he played as good as Jacko has at SANFL level when trying to push for a spot, I think we sometimes have the shiny new toy vision which sometimes clouds our judgement on what is a proven commodity about to enter his prime years.

Let's just take a second to remember that Jacko staying for under his value he'd get elsewhere would be nowhere near the list liability that one decent season wonder Lobbe has contract/list development wise.

Howard always looked like he was going to be a gun, not sure Frampton is at the same level. I struggle to see anything ultra special about Billy as a big man imo.

He has played a handful of dominant games at SANFL but so has Young, AhChee, Toumpas et al who can't crack the AFL.

I guess with Billy, this was his first injury free year so needs the benefit of the doubt.

Nor has he played as good as Jacko has at SANFL level when trying to push for a spot, I think we sometimes have the shiny new toy vision which sometimes clouds our judgement on what is a proven commodity about to enter his prime years.

Let's just take a second to remember that Jacko staying for under his value he'd get elsewhere would be nowhere near the list liability that one decent season wonder Lobbe has contract/list development wise.

My issue is that we're just not easing him into the role. Surely it would've been a better idea to give him a few games this year to see how he goes rather than let a senior player walk and then let him find his feet the following year. Talk about throwing him in the deep end. Making these sorts of decisions 2 weeks out from finals is short-sighted at best.

Frampton and Eddy have been sitting there twiddling their thumbs while we've been experimenting with Trengove forward. Now it's become apparent to Ken that it hasn't worked, so we're gonna let him walk?

"You'll be good to go next year Billy, yeah?"

Last edited:
Howard always looked like he was going to be a gun, not sure Frampton is at the same level. I struggle to see anything ultra special about Billy as a big man imo.

He has played a handful of dominant games at SANFL but so has Young, AhChee, Toumpas et al who can't crack the AFL.

I guess with Billy, this was his first injury free year so needs the benefit of the doubt.
Billy has plenty of special about him, the question is can he become a competitive ruckman. Right now he is developing into the Brett Chalmers category, not really tall enough or competitive enough in ruck, not really good enough up forward, but elite around the ground.

as long as its not on huge $$$ id happily keep jacko as a back up ruck and also back up defender but hes no forward.
and if he was offered big $$$ i wouldnt mind if he left and i wouldnt hold anything against him for it.
i dont know where he fits right now. hes a backman and can ruck a bit. but we now have enough backman depth with clurey and howard firing, plus austin hombsch, jonas all able to play tall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this coming from the heart and I guess you can't run a footy club that way, but I would hate to see Jacko leave the club at the end of the year. A top club man and not the "good bloke" type - you know what I mean!

Very difficult to make Jacko v Billy comparisons as forwards because as far as I am aware Billy has never played the stay at home full forward role for 90% of a game as Jacko did on sunday.

If he had been used the same way it's quite possible he would have a multiple goal games as well, plus he is a much better kick, both in terms of technique and length, ie Billy can score from on or outside the 50 and Jacko tends to struggle to do that because his action.

As a pure ruckman at centre bounce downs Jacko would win that match up at this stage , but Billy would win the around the ground stuff, and probably convincingly.

Like most I believe it will be a shame if a good club man like Jacko leaves, but the club has struggled with the tough decisions before, and has to become more ruthless.
I suspect if Jacko is not selected for this weekends game then the decision has probably been made.

was taken at 84 :eek: he was rated but there were issues of shin splints and we saw very little of him in his 1st yr.
I saw a game at Richmond last year when Reynolds kicked 8 and posted at the time that, even by then, Billy had overtaken Lobbes.
As for Jacko, listening to Hammer on the tv news last night, it seems to me he's gone. At least 2 Vic clubs very interested
and we need to move up the draft pick order from #31(?)
Hammer said "he's got family back in Melb and we would respect any decision he makes". Make of that what you will but to me
it was whether Jackson wanted to or not he will be let go.

Billy has plenty of special about him, the question is can he become a competitive ruckman. Right now he is developing into the Brett Chalmers category, not really tall enough or competitive enough in ruck, not really good enough up forward, but elite around the ground.

Yes that is my take on him, good comparison.

I still think Jacko is the best CHB at the club and our defence looks best with him in there.

I'd like to see Doogs develop into the Harry Taylor role which I'm confident he can.

As a pure ruckman at centre bounce downs Jacko would win that match up at this stage , but Billy would win the around the ground stuff, and probably convincingly.
TBH I'm not even sure we can say that. Trengove has had an average of 24 touches, 10 marks, 8 hitouts and 3 goals 1, in 2 weeks. That's honestly a long way beyond what Frampton has done in some of his biggest games.

Jacko has quite simply made the SANFL level look ridiculously easy in the last couple weeks in the manner that only a quality AFL player can.

Billy has a lot of time on his side but right now IMO he's behind Trengove in every way. Billy should surpass Trengove's ruck ability next year and hopefully he'll get even better around the ground to even be better than Jacko.

Yep. He's a quality tall, I have no issue if we sign him on. I doubt other clubs will offer so much more that it will be worth his while to move to an overpriced housing market in Melbourne.

We should be able to easily match any FA offer to retain him. If he really wants out we should be able to force a trade and preserve our FA options.

I know this coming from the heart and I guess you can't run a footy club that way, but I would hate to see Jacko leave the club at the end of the year. A top club man and not the "good bloke" type - you know what I mean!
Most on here feel the same but we've got no choice. If we want to evolve via our draftees we have to be smart and ruthless.
Jacko's got currency atm.
If he had been used the same way it's quite possible he would have a multiple goal games as well, plus he is a much better kick, both in terms of technique and length, ie Billy can score from on or outside the 50 and Jacko tends to struggle to do that because his action.

Spot on. Your point about his kicking action is very relevant. We have too many 'iffy' kicks in the team as it is. The modern game
requires speed and Billy makes Jacko look like a new born Giraffe and Lobbe a stobie pole. The player i've got an eye on for next year is Lienert.
Strong in the body, same size as Hombsch and a cannonball leg on him. On top of that he 'sees' options and can deliver.

I agree, but the other side of that coin is: do we trust the club to play the kid with potential when there is a senior, trusted player competing for but struggling in the same position?

If Jacko leaves, it forces Ken to try something he may be inclined to avoid for too long, like this year.

Yeah but whoops private joke. :)

I once had a Russian lecturer who changed it to bird in bag. :D

"In Soviet Russia, Birds go in bags"

If we are confident in Howard to develop in Jacko's swing man role and Lienert to develop into a good sized defender with excellent skills then we can afford to let Jacko go and even perhaps trade Hombsch who has been disappointing for 2 years now and I fear is suffering from hip issues which often cut down good players. We can also Trade Broadbent if Hartlett is to remain as a half back flanker; DBJ, Houston and Hartlett are enough with Bonner to develop and Impey to be the swing between forward and attack if needed. The only issue I see with letting Jacko go is our ruck depth, at least he'd be AFL quality back up if needed and can we trust Billy to get us through to finals in an emergency? Hopefully Lobbe isn't on the list still by next year even though he may not be on big money anymore so in a funny way could be decent backup after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back