Trent Bartlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Barnsley FC, Melbourne City, Bulls
I think that Bartlett appears to be more suited to the backline. Up forward he can't get the ball enough to justify having him there. But down back he can find some space and while he can't turn at all he can run pretty quiclly in straight lines. He's tough and he gives it his all down back and he played well against Freo and in the time he was on against Essendon.

We need tall defenders and I think he could be a goer if we give hima chance

Trent Bartlett has always played his best football in defence. He was recruited as a key defender in the first place. He is not a forward and I have no idea why the coaching staff continually persevered with him there. Even when they did they gave him precious little game time. So he never really had much of a chance to settle and build some confidence. No wonder he has become such a maligned figure. (looks like James is being handed Bartletts old role).

Today against Port he really put in and gave us some strength in the back half after the early pasting we got there. Bartlett was terrific and helped halt the slide. The thing about poor ol Barts is that he is not afraid to put his body into a contest. He also showed some good speed off the mark and as Egg says he is good running straight and hard.

If Bartlett is to play senior footy this year then it has to be in defence. There are aspects of his game that need improving for sure but he showed something today and I for one was pleased to see it.

I love watching Bart play. While he may stuff up every now and then his courage and second efforts are second to none. I really hope he can become a good solid backmen because he really is a bloody legend

He tried hard today and did a few good things. But my view hasn't changed. He plays better on the backline but worries me more when he's there. He's not in our best 22. Can't see him playing except when we have injured talls.

HP8,

I think we all deep down know, The Flying Egg might be the exception, that he is a real battler but what he misses in the skill level department he does his best to make up with his endeavor.

You can get away with that type of player in defence providing he does the disciplined 1% things. I'm not saying he will be a star but
he might be an option off the bench and he will match up to some players well. Having said that, I am also not sure you can have James and Bartlett in the team together. If only Aaron had Trent's work ethic !

Originally posted by The_Flying_Egg
he played well against Freo and in the time he was on against Essendon.

Played well when on against essendon?

His Stats were 0 0 0 0 0 0 0. not sure how many zero's there were exactly, but it was the same as the number of categories.

Originally posted by LastCall
You can get away with that type of player in defence providing he does the disciplined 1% things.

The disiplined things take a certain amount of ability though. Things like balance are crucial as a defender, and he has NONE. Goes hard and all the rest, but here is a list i would prefer to see playing in the two key defensive spots ahead of him.

Penny
Croft
Hunter
Harrison
Kretiuk

That is without adding guys like Grant who can but won't be used there. Unless three of those guys are not on the field (like today), or have gone forward, he shouldn't get a look in.

Re: Re: Trent Bartlett

Originally posted by sigscotty

Played well when on against essendon?

His Stats were 0 0 0 0 0 0 0. not sure how many zero's there were exactly, but it was the same as the number of categories.

I meant when he was on against Port.

Although his couple of minutes against Essendon were the spark that set the Dogs on their merry way

Im not totally against using Bart in defence but I feel he needs a specific match up.Some teams and players would just be to smooth for him.BTW he is not as tall as many think he is only Harrisons size meaning he is actually a good 6 or 7 cm shorter than people like Ottens.
I think although he drops alot of marks he is also one of our few players who does take contested marks and that can be invaluable in the backline as it turns the ball around and puts pressure on the other teams players who had sprinted forwards.He is also of value when another team has a run on because his physical presence.He can hold up attacks with his attack on the ball.

Originally posted by dogboy23
Im not totally against using Bart in defence

Where as im against using him in the following spots:

Backline
Half Back
Centre
Half Forward
Forward
Followers
Bench
Runner
Waterboy
Coach's assistant
Team Bus Driver
Toilet Cleaner

Originally posted by PC28

Backline
Half Back
Centre
Half Forward
Forward
Followers
Bench
Runner
Waterboy
Coach's assistant
Team Bus Driver
Toilet Cleaner
You are a cold hearted monster:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by LastCall
HP8,

I think we all deep down know, The Flying Egg might be the exception, that he is a real battler but what he misses in the skill level department he does his best to make up with his endeavor.

You can get away with that type of player in defence providing he does the disciplined 1% things.

Which is another (and what I consider his major) problem ... footy smarts to choose the right option.

I don't consider his skills that poor ... it's the decision making behind his disposal which stuffs him up.

3 points ahead, with only 30 seconds on the clock remaining and pressure mounting, he would be the last person in the league that I would want in possession of the ball in our defensive 50. Thought scares the hell out of me.

PC,

"Where as im against using him in the following spots:

Backline
Half Back
Centre
Half Forward
Forward
Followers
Bench
Runner
Waterboy
Coach's assistant
Team Bus Driver
Toilet Cleaner"

I think you missed: Property Steward and Boot Studder.

Seriously, You are being a bit harsh with Bartlett but we all have some players we don't like.

Backline
Half Back
Centre
Half Forward
Forward
Followers
Bench
Runner
Waterboy
Coach's assistant
Team Bus Driver
Toilet Cleaner

I think that is really harsh PC.

For all we know Barty might be really good at getting to those hard to reach places!

I guess its no secret that I don't like Bartlett...

I didn't like Ellis either, but then again, thats no secret either...

But IMO, BARTLETT IS A ALL AUSTRALIAN BONEHEAD

And will forever stay like that...

I guess its no secret that I don't like Bartlett...

I didn't like Ellis either, but then again, thats no secret either...

But IMO, BARTLETT IS A ALL AUSTRALIAN BONEHEAD

And will forever stay like that...

:mad: :mad:

I could never dislike somebody that puts in so hard. I know he might not be the most skilled bloke going around, but his lack of success with the Dogs ain't through lack of effort

Im proud to say Big Bad Bartletts one of my top 3 or 4 favourite players and PC, Im sure if u look deep down enough, you'll find you love Big Bad Trent as well :)

The defense is all about getting the right match ups. At the moment Bartlett is provide the best match up for the strong tallish forward.
Penny - out injured and hasn't proved himself yet.
Croft - out injured and can be used at both ends.
Hunter - his run means his best at CHB.
Harrison - a good defender 3rd or 4th forward and not a key position.
Kretiuk - again not really tall enough for a key position but does ok on certain players (eg Lloyd).

It would take some searching to find the part of me that actually likes Bartlett. He's actually a nice fellow, just don't like him on the field (or wouldn't like him in various aformentined spots)

Dog_r_us - I hope he proves me wrong, and if he does, i'll be the first to line up and eat my slice of humble pie...

Originally posted by jim440

If Bart keeps performing, it will be hard to leave him out.

Well then theres one solution: don't keep Big Bart out. I wanna see him line up round 1 on the backline and attempt to do a Kingsley

I think Barts in for a big one!!!! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back