Player Watch Trent Bianco (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

So I cannot be unequivocal - but I would say, they feared Rantall wouldn't get to their next pick, but believed Bianco would....and that proved correct.

I know it is hard to fathom but it is entirely possible that CFC valued Bianco above Rantall, but needed to choose Rantall first to get both.

I know that CFC valued Pendlebury above Thomas (2005) but took Thomas first in order to get both.

That's an interesting take.

The Scouts next post is very interesting. Saying that the Rantall and Bianco situation had a bit of Thomas and pendlebury feel about it. Pies rated Pendles before Thomas but knew he’d be gone. Same with Rantall and Bianco.

That is Interesting as it be Harder to do with later picks and Especially with Draft Pick Live Trading.

Then I guess we knew that Richmond,Geelong and Adelaide where not Intrested

So I cannot be unequivocal - but I would say, they feared Rantall wouldn't get to their next pick, but believed Bianco would....and that proved correct.

I know it is hard to fathom but it is entirely possible that CFC valued Bianco above Rantall, but needed to choose Rantall first to get both.

I know that CFC valued Pendlebury above Thomas (2005) but took Thomas first in order to get both.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm not too sure about that one. It's extremely risky to pass on the kid #1 on your board and pray that 4 other clubs pass on him, PLUS with live trading you have to be shitting yourself that someone will trade in to snag him before your pick too. Surely you'd just take the guy you want the most and then hope #2 gets to your 2nd pick?

I wouldn't be suprised if we rated Rantall very highly, he's everything this recruiting team loves - Elite tank, good attitude, hard worker, can win his own ball ect ect.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Rumours over the years has said it’s Jason Taylor.

If he is now officially in club land (with another team) why is he still posting on a Collingwood forum? Don’t get me wrong I’ve appreciated Scout’s insights over the years but I’d be disappointed if he worked at my club and was still posting his thoughts on a semi public forum.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he is now officially in club land (with another team) why is he still posting on a Collingwood forum? Don’t get me wrong I’ve appreciated Scout’s insights over the years but I’d be disappointed if he worked at my club and was still posting his thoughts on a semi public forum.

To me that’s the issue thats a bit peculiar.

if you are working for a club AND posting on social media about such matters, very very very odd.

cant see how that is tolerated.
just my take.

To me that’s the issue thats a bit peculiar.

if you are working for a club AND posting on social media about such matters, very very very odd.

cant see how that is tolerated.
just my take.

That why his Personal Info has not been Said.

Said they Tried to Trade Back in to get Bianco so he has to be a Bit High Up IF he knew that and maybe even been at the Draft

One year aggo. First day of pre season training.

And lol @ his comment about him going to richmond. Funny enough we only got him because of the deal with richmond (whether or not they would have chosen him, who knows)

IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
Adjustments.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Oh I remember that 2nd picture there. I think at the time we were all trying to work out who that was in that photo training with us. Lol

Yup. I was there that day, and my friend and I asked him who he was. How funny how things work out.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
One year aggo. First day of pre season training.

And lol @ his comment about him going to richmond. Funny enough we only got him because of the deal with richmond (whether or not they would have chosen him, who knows)

View attachment 787679View attachment 787680View attachment 787681

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Richmond spent the draft playing funny buggers, who knows what they had in mind. My sister swears to me they were over at Mitch O'Neill's house last weekend saying they'd take him in the third round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
I'm not too sure about that one. It's extremely risky to pass on the kid #1 on your board and pray that 4 other clubs pass on him, PLUS with live trading you have to be shitting yourself that someone will trade in to snag him before your pick too. Surely you'd just take the guy you want the most and then hope #2 gets to your 2nd pick?

I wouldn't be suprised if we rated Rantall very highly, he's everything this recruiting team loves - Elite tank, good attitude, hard worker, can win his own ball ect ect.

I think clubs have a lot of intel on who other clubs are wanting to take. Hine pretty much confirmed this to justify the trading up of 1 pick spot to take Bianco. It's definitely not a science, and I'm sure clubs try to send out fake reports to mess with each other (Richmond may have just scored themselves a free upgrade in next years 2nd round if they had no interest in Bianco but made it appear like they did) - but I have no problem with clubs taking a measured gamble in the draft:

Coming up to pick 40, with 46 as our next pick. Hine may have judged it like:
Bianco a slightly better player, but 80% chance to be available at 46.
Rantall slightly worse, but 10% chance to be available at 46.
Player X - a clear level below both. But 100% chance to be available at 46.

Do you take Bianco - but then pretty much resign your self to Player X at 46, knowing that Rantall won't last?
Or do you take Rantall, and gamble on the liklihood that Bianco will still be available?

Of those two options - we gambled that the latter would give us the best overall output from those two picks. I don't see a problem with that approach, unless you viewed Bianco as head and shoulders above Rantall and too big a chip to miss out on.
(Assuming that that's the order we actually rated them)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think clubs have a lot of intel on who other clubs are wanting to take. Hine pretty much confirmed this to justify the trading up of 1 pick spot to take Bianco. It's definitely not a science, and I'm sure clubs try to send out fake reports to mess with each other (Richmond may have just scored themselves a free upgrade in next years 2nd round if they had no interest in Bianco but made it appear like they did) - but I have no problem with clubs taking a measured gamble in the draft:

Coming up to pick 40, with 46 as our next pick. Hine may have judged it like:
Bianco a slightly better player, but 80% chance to be available at 46.
Rantall slightly worse, but 10% chance to be available at 46.
Player X - a clear level below both. But 100% chance to be available at 46.

Do you take Bianco - but then pretty much resign your self to Player X at 46, knowing that Rantall won't last?
Or do you take Rantall, and gamble on the liklihood that Bianco will still be available?

Of those two options - we gambled that the latter would give us the best overall output from those two picks. I don't see a problem with that approach, unless you viewed Bianco as head and shoulders above Rantall and too big a chip to miss out on.
(Assuming that that's the order we actually rated them)

I think with top 10 picks there's a lot of info on which clubs are going to take who, but once you get into the 30's and 40's it's really a lucky dip and there's no possible way you could know for sure what 17 other clubs are going to do or who they like. Remember with live trading 17 clubs have a chance to snag the kid over 4 picks, that's a massive gamble if he's as highly rated as many think.

What happens if someone takes him? Or someone trades up to take him at 44? Suddenly you're left with massive egg on your face and have to watch your #1 guy head to another club and potentially star for them... HUGE mistake.

I think with top 10 picks there's a lot of info on which clubs are going to take who, but once you get into the 30's and 40's it's really a lucky dip and there's no possible way you could know for sure what 17 other clubs are going to do or who they like. Remember with live trading 17 clubs have a chance to snag the kid over 4 picks, that's a massive gamble if he's as highly rated as many think.

What happens if someone takes him? Or someone trades up to take him at 44? Suddenly you're left with massive egg on your face and have to watch your #1 guy head to another club and potentially star for them... HUGE mistake.
As a mad Pie fan who had trained with the club, it doesn't seem unlikely that Bianco would have told the Pies which other clubs had interviewd him and gone to watch him play.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
As a mad Pie fan who had trained with the club, it doesn't seem unlikely that Bianco would have told the Pies which other clubs had interviewd him and gone to watch him play.

He was once rated a top 20 pick, I'm sure every club would of interviewed him at least once, and there's no way he could know who is watching him. Also that sounds very close to draft tampering if a draftee and a club are working together to try and manipulate the draft.

He was once rated a top 20 pick, I'm sure every club would of interviewed him at least once, and there's no way he could know who is watching him. Also that sounds very close to draft tampering if a draftee and a club are working together to try and manipulate the draft.

Have you ever gotten a job, where you walked out of the interview not knowing if the recruiter was interested? I haven't.

Draft tampering? Asking Trent and his parents what other clubs seem keen. Nah.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have you ever gotten a job, where you walked out of the interview not knowing if the recruiter was interested? I haven't.

Draft tampering? Asking Trent and his parents what other clubs seem keen. Nah.

Lots of draftees after getting picked state that they had no idea that club was interested in them... Some clubs hold their cards very close to their chest for this very reason. If such an obvious tactic was being used then other clubs would simply work around that by not showing who they're interested in. The point is it is literally impossible to be CERTAIN not one of the other 17 clubs would be interested in a kid and trade up to get him, i'd be certain we simply had Rantall #1 on our board and picked him as soon as we could.

Lots of draftees after getting picked state that they had no idea that club was interested in them... Some clubs hold their cards very close to their chest for this very reason. If such an obvious tactic was being used then other clubs would simply work around that by not showing who they're interested in. The point is it is literally impossible to be CERTAIN not one of the other 17 clubs would be interested in a kid and trade up to get him, i'd be certain we simply had Rantall #1 on our board and picked him as soon as we could.

I agree that it's impossible to be certain. But we paid a relatively large price to move up one spot in the draft. It seems likely that we felt somebody else was likely to take him in that spot. Hine even spoke about intel. If a journo relying on late mail can be reasonably accurate about what clubs are thinking with early picks, I'm not sure why you would assume that clubs have no inside info about the ideas and plans of other clubs.

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Club rated Rantall slightly higher, end of. You don’t ignore a player at that pick if you think he is next best on the board. I’ve almost no doubt they rated him the v next best player though, hence the desire to move up when it got close...
I dare say they had them both rated around the 20 mark, so would be v happy.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree that it's impossible to be certain. But we paid a relatively large price to move up one spot in the draft. It seems likely that we felt somebody else was likely to take him in that spot. Hine even spoke about intel. If a journo relying on late mail can be reasonably accurate about what clubs are thinking with early picks, I'm not sure why you would assume that clubs have no inside info about the ideas and plans of other clubs.

Working out who is going to go at pick 4 5 and 6 is a completely different game to working out who will go at pick 42 43 44...

Moving up doesn't mean we had any info on what Richmond wanted, we could've just gotten scared. If Richmond wanted Bianco so much they wouldn't of traded the pick out.

Back