Player Watch Trent Bianco (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't seen McInnes to comment. Fair comment re JDG, but he’s bloody taken his sweet ass time getting there. Daicos is another solid one.

From what I’ve seen so far, Bianco is head and shoulders above the rest of the ones you mentioned. Brown x2 and Poulter may become great, but Bianco has shown he is going to be next level with some of his midfield traits.

Happy to agree to disagree.

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think we all need to remember that Trent has only played 4 game of AFL footy. Players can take a little while before they come into their own as footballers.

Look at Dane Swan, he didn't really start playing consistent footy until 2006, his fifth year on the list. Pendles was dropped in his first year too. Sidebottom spent a fair portion of his first year in the VFL too.

No need to declare them as future 250 gamers or spuds after a few games, they're still developing their craft.

What I like about Bianco is that he kicks well, has footy smarts and reads the play well. Yes, he may not be the quickest player out there, but we can't expect all our players to be perfect.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I acknowledged that his use by foot was approaching that standard by comparing him to Pendles and Sidey. I also think that 2020 Maynard season will prove to be an aberration so I hope we’re not doing backflips when they know they have a very good one anyway.
8F48D1A6-BBA5-4778-876E-F61A9F90360E.jpeg

I’m having trouble seeing how Maynards 2020 season was an aberration. Looking at his 18-21 seasons to date, nothing seems to be an aberration. 2020 was definitely his best season, but looking at his career, i see no reason to believe it was an aberration

Edit: especially given this season, after a slow start, has elevated to a level similar / even above where he was at for most of last year.

Last edited:
Well that’s is intriguing, but even if true, he’s the same height as the bombers 2 ball winners.
He’s 178. Same sort of height as Daicos and C Brown. It’s fairly obvious just looking at him that he’s not even close to 188.

Edit: I’m not concerned by the lack of pace. My approach to it is like the clubs you acknowledge it and work on other areas of his game.
If he was the only one I wouldn't be concerned, but he's one of a few that are always going to struggle to apply defensive pressure.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he was the only one I wouldn't be concerned, but he's one of a few that are always going to struggle to apply defensive pressure.
If he is getting consistent and opposition damaging results that won't matter as much, the thing is we need to drastically improve our delivery - if delivery is good enough defensive pressure is not so important.
Will be interesting to see if he can retain his composure and deliver to advantage enough to lessen the need for him and others to be defensive robots.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
View attachment 1168272

I’m having trouble seeing how Maynards 2020 season was an aberration. Looking at his 18-21 seasons to date, nothing seems to be an aberration. 2020 was definitely his best season, but looking at his career, i see no reason to believe it was an aberration

Edit: especially given this season, after a slow start, has elevated to a level similar / even above where he was at for most of last year.

You might be having trouble because you’re only looking at the numbers and incorrectly at that. His 2020 numbers v the rest of his career should be increased by 25%. Anyone that says Maynard was as good on and off the ball in any season compared to 2020 is mad. He was a bull defensively, a weapon offensively and he hasn’t regained that same spark in 2021 although his past two matches he’s turned a corner offensively boosting his 2021 numbers.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

Agreed pace has to be a high priority this off season because we’d have the slowest midfield in the league. That’s fine if you’re a strong contest team, but we aren’t…

Agreed pace has to be a high priority this off season because we’d have the slowest midfield in the league. That’s fine if you’re a strong contest team, but we aren’t…
Hopefully Jordy becomes a reliable mid. If he does, Crisp, DeGoey and Adams will be a very physically impressive main group for the next few years, with slower guys making up the rotations. It's the pace of our flankers I'm more concerned about.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Hopefully Jordy becomes a reliable mid. If he does, Crisp, DeGoey and Adams will be a very physically impressive main group for the next few years, with slower guys making up the rotations. It's the pace of our flankers I'm more concerned about.

That’s a lot to hope for from JDG! Does Crisp’s ball use not concern you? I think the priority should be shifting Crisp back to defence where it’s easier to execute and injects pace into a slow line. You can only do that if JDG finally gets it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a lot to hope for from JDG! Does Crisp’s ball use not concern you? I think the priority should be shifting Crisp back to defence where it’s easier to execute and injects pace into a slow line. You can only do that if JDG finally gets it.
De Goey’s game against the Dees was really encouraging. Hopefully Harvey starts him in the middle.

His disposal is such a mixed bag of good, bad and ugly that I think I prefer it coming from the midfield. When he does those shanky skiddy chaos balls I think they're really dangerous coming from defence, but reasonably dangerous forwards entries because it's hard for a set defence to gobble them up.

Mark W

All Australian
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
His disposal is such a mixed bag of good, bad and ugly that I think I prefer it coming from the midfield. When he does those shanky skiddy chaos balls I think they're really dangerous coming from defence, but reasonably dangerous forwards entries because it's hard for a set defence to gobble them up.

I think his disposal tends to be better when he plays in defence. He has a bit more time and space to steady himself. He has a lot less time in the midfield where he breaks away from congestion and has to dispose of it rapidly. I can understand why we needed to play him in the midfield cause we needed a big bodied ball magnet, but I think he is a much better defender than midfielder

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood

Agreed. I tend to think Crisp is no less prone to errors when in defence so I'd prefer his *ups to happen further up the ground. We also don't have that many guys who can gather the ball in the centre and break through to have a shot from 50.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
You might be having trouble because you’re only looking at the numbers and incorrectly at that. His 2020 numbers v the rest of his career should be increased by 25%. Anyone that says Maynard was as good on and off the ball in any season compared to 2020 is mad. He was a bull defensively, a weapon offensively and he hasn’t regained that same spark in 2021 although his past two matches he’s turned a corner offensively boosting his 2021 numbers.
I agree, I said it was his best year. It was easily. But, my point was, he has been consistently performing at an elite HB level for years now. And, He definitely has regained that spark in the second half of this season. He has even elevated his game compared to last year as of recently. Since round 5, his SC average is 101. Pretty much where it was last year. He has clocked 3/4 of his highest scores from the last 2 years in this most recent season though.

So, thats why i wonder how his 2020 season was an aberration. Its not like he is that far off right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back