Player Watch Trent Cotchin - Elite

Remove this Banner Ad

The Tom Mitchell who goes chasing kicks in the back line you mean. Seen him multiple times receive the 15m sideways pass from a kickout. Very good player but an absolute kick chaser. Would love to see his possession heatmap

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So you mean he runs hard and gives options to team mates kicking out.

This thread isn't about Tom so i am not going to derail it but that is just laughable.

So you mean he runs hard and gives options to team mates kicking out.

This thread isn't about Tom so i am not going to derail it but that is just laughable.

Why wouldn’t he be at the next contest, 50m up the line trying to win the ball in the contest where’s he best at? When’s the last time you’ve seen Dusty, Danger, Cripps, Bont (or Cotchin for that matter) chasing kicks deep in the backline for absolutely no reason. Mitchell isn’t even a long kick ffs. That’s the difference between the best mids and a kick chaser

Why wouldn’t he be at the next contest, 50m up the line trying to win the ball in the contest where’s he best at? When’s the last time you’ve seen Dusty, Danger, Cripps, Bont (or Cotchin for that matter) chasing kicks deep in the backline for absolutely no reason. Mitchell isn’t even a long kick ffs. That’s the difference between the best mids and a kick chaser

Because we don't want to go long up the line? We try to posses the football, that is a team tactic not a kick chasing thing.

He does get to those contests which is why in 2018 he was the leading clearance player in the AFL also had the most contested possessions of any player in the AFL. Funny that for a selfish kick chaser he was also 5th in the AFL for tackles.

If Cotchin could do what Mitchell could i can guarantee you the Tigers would be using him in a way to exploit that. He doesn't because he can't do what Mitchell can.

Because we don't want to go long up the line? We try to posses the football, that is a team tactic not a kick chasing thing.

He does get to those contests which is why in 2018 he was the leading clearance player in the AFL also had the most contested possessions of any player in the AFL. Funny that for a selfish kick chaser he was also 5th in the AFL for tackles.

If Cotchin could do what Mitchell could i can guarantee you the Tigers would be using him in a way to exploit that. He doesn't because he can't do what Mitchell can.
But he is criticised on here when he did go kick chasing, so he can do it, but he doesn't need to because we don't play that possession game like Hawthorn. I don't think I've seen Cotchin go backwards or sideways in years. Low possession mid but high impact, like most of Richmond mids. Under rated like most Richmond mids.

I reckon this is a pretty accurate assessment.

He's not as good a player now, but in clutch moments he's more effective.

I think he is more effective at changing momentum of games now which is far more important to us than 30 touches.

He sets the physical tone and standards and makes other players better around him.

That's leadership. That's elite.

But he is criticised on here when he did go kick chasing, so he can do it, but he doesn't need to because we don't play that possession game like Hawthorn. I don't think I've seen Cotchin go backwards or sideways in years. Low possession mid but high impact, like most of Richmond mids. Under rated like most Richmond mids.
Man people get caught up in the disposals.

Ignore the disposals Tom still gets on the outside he still averages more clearances, tackles, contested possesions than Cotchin ever did back when he was getting more of it. The fact his tank allows him to also get around the ground and burn off his opponent just makes him even more well rounded.

You can’t say you’d prefer to have Mitchell getting the ball in the back pocket than further up the field. Wouldn’t you prefer to have it in the hands of a Stratton, Sicily etc.

Pretty confident that every midfielder could run into the back pockets and get cheap kicks, just most don’t. The point is that Cotchin used to do this (like Mitchell does now) but changed his game to suit his team and is now used where he’s best at.

Mitchell could definitely cut 5-10 possessions per match and be more effective, if those possessions came in a better part of the ground

You can’t say you’d prefer to have Mitchell getting the ball in the back pocket than further up the field. Wouldn’t you prefer to have it in the hands of a Stratton, Sicily etc.

Pretty confident that every midfielder could run into the back pockets and get cheap kicks, just most don’t. The point is that Cotchin used to do this (like Mitchell does now) but changed his game to suit his team and is now used where he’s best at.

Mitchell could definitely cut 5-10 possessions per match and be more effective, if those possessions came in a better part of the ground

No i would not prefer to have it in the hands of Stratton... He is a pretty poor kick. Mitchell isn't an elite kick but he is a neat one. Knows his limits and finds targets. You are missing the point he runs off his opponent, when he disposes of it he keeps moving and keeps involved in the chain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when was Jobe in a good team?

And i know you are trolling but look closely, i dont barrack for Essendon

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Jobe was mentioned somewhere in this thread, must've stuck in my brain.

Jobe was in a good team around 2012 if I remember correctly.

I need my eyes checked. I saw your dees flag as a bombers one

No i would not prefer to have it in the hands of Stratton... He is a pretty poor kick. Mitchell isn't an elite kick but he is a neat one. Knows his limits and finds targets. You are missing the point he runs off his opponent, when he disposes of it he keeps moving and keeps involved in the chain.

Why doesn't he just take the kick out? Does he not trust the fullback?

Not much point having both of them there at kick outs.

Why doesn't he just take the kick out? Does he not trust the fullback?

Not much point having both of them there at kick outs.
No it is just creating an extra option. We prefer not to go long down the line (at least we didn't last time he was fit) we need players leading and creating options for the kicker.

Not that it has any bearing on his quality as a player, but I am pretty sure he sits in the top-10 for most consecutive 30 disposal games in a row (which Tom Mitchell is incidentally the record holder)

I think his career history is something like

- promising youngster
- superstar ball-magnet
- captain, weighed down by injury/leadership
- ineffective ball accumulator
- super-leader, contested wrecking-ball

Perhaps not elite now in the strictly statistical sense, but for a time was absolutely elite

Jobe was mentioned somewhere in this thread, must've stuck in my brain.

Jobe was in a good team around 2012 if I remember correctly.

I need my eyes checked. I saw your dees flag as a bombers one

Stinger/Stringer i get it alot

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Man people get caught up in the disposals.

Ignore the disposals Tom still gets on the outside he still averages more clearances, tackles, contested possesions than Cotchin ever did back when he was getting more of it. The fact his tank allows him to also get around the ground and burn off his opponent just makes him even more well rounded.
Mitchell is obviously an elite hunter and gatherer of the ball.

As a player in 2012 was his best season, he was absolutely elite then. He never reached those individual heights again but as an inspirational leader he has come a long way. His attack on the game and setting the tone for his side is probably more important than the feats he was/Is performing as a player.

Not a star player anymore, but a magnificent captain. We are absolutely a better side with him in it, and I believe that's the legacy he wants to leave with.

Not that it has any bearing on his quality as a player, but I am pretty sure he sits in the top-10 for most consecutive 30 disposal games in a row (which Tom Mitchell is incidentally the record holder)

I think his career history is something like

- promising youngster
- superstar ball-magnet
- captain, weighed down by injury/leadership
- ineffective ball accumulator
- super-leader, contested wrecking-ball

Perhaps not elite now in the strictly statistical sense, but for a time was absolutely elite
Yeah but to be fair i am not arguing any of that. I have been very complimentary of his leadership, i also acknowledged what he accomplished when he was younger and i also think that what he does now for the team is absolutely what is best for the team. My point was only ever the fact that he can not be judged as an elite midfielder currently. Some Tiger fans seem to disagree with that.

Yeah but to be fair i am not arguing any of that. I have been very complimentary of his leadership, i also acknowledged what he accomplished when he was younger and i also think that what he does now for the team is absolutely what is best for the team. My point was only ever the fact that he can not be judged as an elite midfielder currently. Some Tiger fans seem to disagree with that.

‘Elite’ needs to be defined first, and that’s real hard to do statistically cause all players are different. This is where the eye test comes in. Is Cotchin elite at racking up disposals = no (not now). Is Cotchin elite at setting standards in game and his leadership that his teammates follow = yes. I know which one I prefer

I probably agree with you that he doesn't sit in the elite bracket of players today

However, speaking as a Tiger's supporter & setting aside his leadership from this argument, his on-field output in contributing to our recent success is definitely elite ...

His game in the QF in Brisbane is a perfect example of this. His second quarter was huge, critical to keeping us in the game, but his output of 19 disposals and 64 DT is miles-off "elite"

I feel in the latter half of this decade, raw-stats & player quality have become less and less correlated. During one of Hawthorn's three-peat flags, I recall not a single player averaged more than 100 Supercoach points for the season. At the time I was gob-smacked, but all it really highlighted was Hawthorns ruthless efficiency with the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back