Preview Trent Cotchin to challenge Richmond teammates to regain hunger after disappointing season

Remove this Banner Ad

Cotchin leads as well as when Jack is at fullback.
i love cotch, but he would benefit from not being captain

he is a head nodder not a leader of men

Rance is a leader and should be captain

I don't have a problem with him saying this.

He was sat in front of a camera by the club, so what do people expect him to say as captain? Of course he is going to say what he wants to see being improved from a captain's perspective because that was the point of the video.

In the video on the club website, Rance spoke about what he wants to see being improved, but from the leading defender's perspective. Astbury talked about what he can improve as a defender. Miles talked about expanding his role as a mid and kicking more goals. Vlastuin talked about improving his aerobic capacity and hopefully playing more of a role in the midfield as he liked that role. Short and Castagna also talked about what they wanted to improve.

In fact, I like that the club want to keep their supporters updated with the progression and targets of the players. The club and players alike realise that a lot needs to be done and they say what they can improve for themselves in the video.

Therefore, if this is what Cotchin thinks should be improved as captain then it is what it is even if it hasn't been done or won't be done. Yeah, talk doesn't finish the job, but being mindful of your deficiencies and targets individually and as a team is a starting point. It is the lack of action from the players that will become a problem down the track if they don't do it, not the talk that he is pretty much asked to do as a captain.

I don't have a problem with him saying this.

He was sat in front of a camera by the club, so what do people expect him to say as captain? Of course he is going to say what he wants to see being improved from a captain's perspective because that was the point of the video.

In the video on the club website, Rance spoke about what he wants to see being improved, but from the leading defender's perspective. Astbury talked about what he can improve as a defender. Miles talked about expanding his role as a mid and kicking more goals. Vlastuin talked about improving his aerobic capacity and hopefully playing more of a role in the midfield as he liked that role. Short and Castagna also talked about what they wanted to improve.

In fact, I like that the club want to keep their supporters updated with the progression and targets of the players. The club and players alike realise that a lot needs to be done and they say what they can improve for themselves in the video.

Therefore, if this is what Cotchin thinks should be improved as captain then it is what it is even if it hasn't been done or won't be done. Yeah, talk doesn't finish the job, but being mindful of your deficiencies and targets individually and as a team is a starting point. It is the lack of action from the players that will become a problem down the track if they don't do it, not the talk that he is pretty much asked to do as a captain.

Yes. This. What else can he say "don't bother emotionally investing in next year, you know we'll fold like a pack of cards once the pressure is applied like we always do".

Articles this time of year are pretty meaningless. I don't bother with them for this reason. I suggest the rest of you do the same, if you found Cotch's comments so offensive.

People need to realise that players want success just as much as the fans. They aren't going to choose a bloke just because they like him, they aren't children.

Besides isn't cotch the more serious and mature guy of the lot? This isn't like kids picking the cool popular kid to be school captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players helping pick the captain makes sense to me in 2 ways
- If the players really don't like or respect someone as captaincy material, but the coaches see it differently, then the players picking informs the coaches they are missing something
- One of the keys to winning a premiership is making the playing squad a unified team (not necessarily all best mates). Helping pick the captain should bind the players into the larger group.

It can all go so wrong if the pick the guys that is coolest/nicest/meanest. But the symbolism is that the players lead the team themselves. And the captain is their chosen first among equals.

honestly I hope this club stays out of the media and address everything internally during this pre-season. I think we are all well fed on enough bull crap during pre-season to last us a life time. Sure if something is news worthy spread the word - new sponsorship, Yarran dropping 5kg and financial position etc.

but I think we've heard enough from the players saying they're committed and then served something different! time to act boys - no more talking about it!

if he said nothing, people would be saying "why haven't we heard from the leaders of the club, such poor leadership"

Less talk more action , they are still hurting from 13/14/15 no more talk , do yyour talking on the field

Being the Tigers' captain s a tough gig

Captain Blood set the pace for the prototype tigers captain...tough, fearless, leader on the field

In the past 30 years, there hasn't been too many standouts for mine...maybe just Matty Knights...the General Lee and Flea were both good...

1985–1987 Mark Lee
1988–1992 Dale Weightman
1993 Jeff Hogg
1994–1996 Tony Free
1997–2000 Matthew Knights
2001–2004 Wayne Campbell
2005–2008 Kane Johnson
2009–2012 Chris Newman
2013- Trent Cotchin

also remember they have leadership groups now, so less responsibility on the captain.

Being the Tigers' captain s a tough gig

Captain Blood set the pace for the prototype tigers captain...tough, fearless, leader on the field

In the past 30 years, there hasn't been too many standouts for mine...maybe just Matty Knights...the General Lee and Flea were both good...

1985–1987 Mark Lee
1988–1992 Dale Weightman
1993 Jeff Hogg
1994–1996 Tony Free
1997–2000 Matthew Knights
2001–2004 Wayne Campbell
2005–2008 Kane Johnson
2009–2012 Chris Newman
2013- Trent Cotchin
None have lasted more than 4 years and people say we are quick to eat our coaches.

think it is funny that the perception from members is cotchin is soft on players , yet appare tly we have some within the playing group that believe the leadership group as a whole are to hard on them.
Along with leading teams fiasco and off season departures I have no doubt that there has been a liitle bit going on behind the scenes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back