Free Agency Trent Dumont [rookied by Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t see any need for him at port. Would be much better of getting the likes of Butters/Duursma/Bergman through the middle than Dumont.
Having Drew and an aging Boak ....like so many clubs, you need some midfield speed ....getting Dumont would be counter productive

It's the same reason Dunstan will struggle to find a new home .....theoretically, a player getting 11 Brownlow votes, clubs would be scrambling to get his signature ....but nope, not happening

Odd one.

He is too good to not be on a list at all. Suffers from the view of all fans that a middle to senior aged player who probably ranks 10-20th on most lists is "no good" and so on. But really they are AFL level standard, just not stars, need to be paid for as such.
2021 is the first season he hasn't averaged 20+ disposals since 2016. This on top of the fact he is noted for his defensive running - he is one of our better mids for getting back inside D50.
Best year was 5th in the B&F in a side that finished 9th (2018), before backing up with solid unassuming years in bottom 4 sides in 2019 and 2020.

But then ask me to find a club where he's actually needed, I can't see one.

For a guy that would cost average in the league salary (50k a year booster as a FA to convince him to come over) and no pick, he should find a spot playing a role as a secondary winger/midfielder. 3 at 400 would be pretty much bang on to get a player that would finish ~13-15th in a full season at a club like Port.

He may be one like Luke Dunstan that gets picked up after the trade period when list spots start to settle as a DFA or Rookie.

I hope the Demons now turn their attention towards Dumont assuming he is prepared to work to get a game at the Demons - No free games at the MFC anymore. However, the rewards over the next few years could be the reason he plays football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd one.

He is too good to not be on a list at all. Suffers from the view of all fans that a middle to senior aged player who probably ranks 10-20th on most lists is "no good" and so on. But really they are AFL level standard, just not stars, need to be paid for as such.
2021 is the first season he hasn't averaged 20+ disposals since 2016. This on top of the fact he is noted for his defensive running - he is one of our better mids for getting back inside D50.
Best year was 5th in the B&F in a side that finished 9th (2018), before backing up with solid unassuming years in bottom 4 sides in 2019 and 2020.

But then ask me to find a club where he's actually needed, I can't see one.

For a guy that would cost average in the league salary (50k a year booster as a FA to convince him to come over) and no pick, he should find a spot playing a role as a secondary winger/midfielder. 3 at 400 would be pretty much bang on to get a player that would finish ~13-15th in a full season at a club like Port.
Dumont reminds me of Alex Neal Bullen. A really solid player without many tricks. ANB was under contract last year and told to explore his options elsewhere, however there were no takers. He worked on his game in the off-season and became an important role player. Dumont could do the same role.

Unfortunately for Dumont, all clubs aside from North and Hawthorn are tight with cap space. It's hard to justify bringing in a player on $400k pa when most clubs have a similar player already on their list.

I feel that Dumont will end up getting a rookie deal somewhere.

Surprised by the lack of interest. I understand that Adelaide might be tentative because outside runners is actually there strong point.

But I think North should just lock him down. Failing that if Port really want to play Amon and Duursma on ball - and they need help for Wines and Boak - he'd make sense there. Freo could do with any kind of midfield depth possible if they don't have a better move. The list of clubs needing serviceable veterans to man the wings once the season starts is usually half the comp!

Probably a reflection of just how tight clubs are to the cap.

Surprised by the lack of interest. I understand that Adelaide might be tentative because outside runners is actually there strong point.

But I think North should just lock him down. Failing that if Port really want to play Amon and Duursma on ball - and they need help for Wines and Boak - he'd make sense there. Freo could do with any kind of midfield depth possible if they don't have a better move. The list of clubs needing serviceable veterans to man the wings once the season starts is usually half the comp!

Probably a reflection of just how tight clubs are to the cap.
Yeah I expect us to keep him on a 1 year deal now (With maybe a trigger for another)

Dumont reminds me of Alex Neal Bullen. A really solid player without many tricks. ANB was under contract last year and told to explore his options elsewhere, however there were no takers. He worked on his game in the off-season and became an important role player. Dumont could do the same role.

Unfortunately for Dumont, all clubs aside from North and Hawthorn are tight with cap space. It's hard to justify bringing in a player on $400k pa when most clubs have a similar player already on their list.

I feel that Dumont will end up getting a rookie deal somewhere.

He's too good to be on a rookie deal surely. Yes he's probably the most typical bang average AFL player going around but he's still an AFL footballer. Tough one, surely he'd be better than Rory Atkins or worth more to the Suns than Maribol Chol but they've got no cap space because they've burnt it on those spuds.

Wrong spot at the wrong time for Trent, seeing he was a solid 11-22 player in a line-up with limited upside, playing for team that has no use whatsoever for that kind of player.

Either goes to a team looking to pad out their depth, or the state leagues.

Froggy can play. Two way runner with decent skills just doesn’t fit the direction we’re taking.

Would be a great depth player for someone in the window.

Brisbane should look at him as it gives them another very experienced player on the list who has averaged pretty much 20d, 4m, 4t throughout his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back