Trent McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

McKenzie may be in a bit of trouble apparently for this on Twitter...

McKenzie: "Matty Scarlett did a favor for most people. #lethimoff."

Regarding when Scarlett punched Balla in the face. He was one of a couple that made a comment similar.

With the AFL cracking down on Tweets like this, it will be interesting to see how it goes. He has since deleted it.

well i doubt we will delist some one in the middle of the year
I think the emphasis of what people have said was more so re-signings rather than delistings. Presuming the Suns use their full 42 positions next year and don't promote any rookies then they will need to delist/have retire 5 players. Campbell Brown has already stated he is very likely to retire at the end of next year so you can probably tick him off.

Out of the rest of the senior players who are coming off contract next year I would say another year like 2012 for Brennan would see him getting delisted/traded away. I guess the remaining delistings will just come from the younger players who aren't performing. As for the players who need to be re-signed I would say high priority should be put on Prestia, Shaw, Gorringe, Tape and Smith.

This might surprise some people but I think if McKenzie doesn't start to pick things up next year he could be in big trouble of being delisted. I know he is a favourite among Suns supporters but he has been struggling ever since the 2011 season ended.

McKenzie isn't in any trouble. I realize people are scapegoating on him, but really? Delistment?

He was playing Mr. Fixit down back for most of the year without a pre-season whatsoever. This pre-season he hasn't had any post-season ops, so will have a full pre-season under his belt. Add that onto him playing a role he's better suited for (hopefully, with Broughts and Murphy on board), and I'm pretty confident he will really add to our outside mid strength next year.

If not, then I'd be more inclined to agree. ;)

McKenzie isn't in any trouble. I realize people are scapegoating on him, but really? Delistment?

He was playing Mr. Fixit down back for most of the year without a pre-season whatsoever. This pre-season he hasn't had any post-season ops, so will have a full pre-season under his belt. Add that onto him playing a role he's better suited for (hopefully, with Broughts and Murphy on board), and I'm pretty confident he will really add to our outside mid strength next year.

If not, then I'd be more inclined to agree. ;)

Can't agree at him being Mr Fix-it down back at all that was Stanley's role. McKenzie had a less than average year and would want to have a huge year this year although I am not so convinced. He appears to be a one string to his bow type player and the opposition quickly worked that out. He needs to find something else as he is not a great short kick or precise handballer or he may struggle again this year.

McKenzie was played in the defensive 50 for most of the year. A lot of this time it was deep in our own 50. From what I saw, he was playing on the small forwards. The position that Tape usually played in. Or occasionally he was off half-back where he served us a bit better. Either of these are positions he had not played in before, and really couldn't given his lack of weight.

He's just best utilized on the wing, IMO. He's an outside midfielder, which is just where he didn't play much at all in 2012, but did most of his season in 2011.

I would be the first to say he had a down year, but delistment? That's a pretty harsh call to make so early on considering his lack of fitness in 2012 and him playing an unfamiliar role. If he continues to have a bad year in 2013 where he should be playing more up the ground and a full pre-season, I would be in agreement. But not right now.

If he continues to have a bad year in 2013 where he should be playing more up the ground and a full pre-season, I would be in agreement. But not right now.

If you read what I said I actually stated that if he doesn't pick things up in 2013 he would be in danger of getting delisted. Word is that Trent is by far the worst performed in Arizona by far so that obviously isn't going in his favour but I would be really surprised if the Suns got rid of him before the end of next season.

I agree he plays his best football as a an outside mid, a bit like Matt Shaw. 2013 will be a big year for Trent but just because you can kick a football 70 meters doesn't mean you deserve to be on an AFL senior list.

If you read what I said I actually stated that if he doesn't pick things up in 2013 he would be in danger of getting delisted. Word is that Trent is by far the worst performed in Arizona by far so that obviously isn't going in his favour but I would be really surprised if the Suns got rid of him before the end of next season.

I agree he plays his best football as a an outside mid, a bit like Matt Shaw. 2013 will be a big year for Trent but just because you can kick a football 70 meters doesn't mean you deserve to be on an AFL senior list.
Where are you hearing that he is performing poorly in arizona? Just curious is all:thumbsu:

I did notice that Trent seemed to be on the tail end in the long distance runs and time trials. However, he's still busting his gut, as can be seen in the videos provided to us. If he keeps working that hard, he'll be fit and raring to go.

I'm not sure what he's like over long distance running, actually. We all know he's got serious pace over the short distance, but it could be that he's just not super when it comes to long distances. Which again, will improve quite a bit the more of the pre-season he gets done.

On a related note, it's still weird seeing Ablett also in the tail end of those runs. Goes to show that athleticism isn't everything.

2012 stats.

stats.jpg

McKenzie committed to delivering future success.
777522-trent-mckenzie.jpg

“I definitely feel as though we are on our way to building something pretty special at the Club,” said McKenzie.

“We are all pretty close and are maturing together… to think that the team started as a group of teenagers whose dreams were of playing professional football probably highlights how far we have come and how committed our group is to delivering success to the GC SUNS.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns know they can't rush Trent.
But McKenna has vowed not to make the same mistake as the club did at the start of last season when McKenzie returned too soon when battling tendonitis in his other knee.

"Trent learnt last year when he first came back that he was probably only 60 per cent fit," McKenna said.

SUNS loading up the Cannon.
The star utility has credited a change to his training philosophy for his current strong form as a key defender.

“I’ve really tried to push myself as much as I can so that I can get the most out of our main training session, which has really helped me out a lot this season,” McKenzie said.

Was absolutely super last night, one of the better games I've seen him play. Okay yes he didn't have an opponent but he put his body on the line numerous times, was impressive and hope he keeps it up

He showed how dangerous he can be when used correctly in the team context.

While he is not afraid to go in for the ball, he is most dangerous as an outside player pumping the ball long into the forward half.

It creates confusion for the defenders when the ball is thumped into the GCS forward line.

Just ask Tom Lynch!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back