AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Traded from Geelong for pick #41

WEST%20Trent.png

Drafted at pick #31 in the 2005 National Draft

Games played - 54 (Geelong)
Goals - 23 (Geelong)

Height - 198 cms

Obviously a much better player than Martin. Walks straight into the starting 22. Merrett probably goes back to defence. Surprised he's only played 50 odd games but his experience is a real asset. Surprised Geelong let him go so cheaply

Does he have a good enough forward game to hold down a forward position?

No. Not mobile enough. Gets his hands to the ball a lot during marking contests..then drops it and is out of the contest. All big blokes are stupid though and don't mature into their bodies til they're 24 or 25. It's not impossible that he may have a breakout year in 2014 but the ceiling is not high I would've thought. His big body in the ruck contest should pave the way for Leuie to spend more time forward which will lengthen his career. A good value pick-up.

Edit: Just turned 26 but was pivotal in Geelongs 2011 finals campaign.

Obviously a much better player than Martin. Walks straight into the starting 22. Merrett probably goes back to defence. Surprised he's only played 50 odd games but his experience is a real asset. Surprised Geelong let him go so cheaply

The first few years he spent his time in the Vfl developing.

Yup, I think West at least allows us to use Bergs up forward more, which is a win. Good coverage for Martin and Bergs, chances are both won't play 22 games each. West will be good for our ressies team as well, hopefully showing Smith how to go about it.

Hardly a star, number 1 ruck but I think it is a smart pick up. He will add depth to our ruck stocks, he will be an insurance policy option if Leuy goes down with injury and he will be a solid back up ruckman and Luey should be able to spend more time up forward now. Welcome to the club Trent!

He is good around the ground.

Major assets are his durability (almost never been injured in 8 years), he has huge endurance for a ruckman and can really take a mark (see 2011 finals series).

He is just undersized as a first ruck and struggles when he has to do that without help of a good first ruck.

Behind Otto in 2011, he was allowed to play his natural role and he excelled.

Behind a very very good first ruckman in Leunberger he will be able to do that again and it will probably bring the best out of him.

Very good clubman too, very shy guy but much loved around the club.

Look after him well.

He is good around the ground.

Major assets are his durability (almost never been injured in 8 years), he has huge endurance for a ruckman and can really take a mark (see 2011 finals series).

He is just undersized as a first ruck and struggles when he has to do that without help of a good first ruck.

Behind Otto in 2011, he was allowed to play his natural role and he excelled.

Behind a very very good first ruckman in Leunberger he will be able to do that again and it will probably bring the best out of him.

Very good clubman too, very shy guy but much loved around the club.

Look after him well.

Thanks for the summary :).

On the bolded, I'm sure the GABBA centre square can change that. Can't remember the last ruckman we had that didn't have injury troubles.

Thanks for the summary :).

On the bolded, I'm sure the GABBA centre square can change that. Can't remember the last ruckman we had that didn't have injury troubles.

Hopefully not for your sake.

Leuy is too good a player to have to suffer too many injuries.

West is very durable, has played about 100 vfl games along with his afl games so that tells you he gets injured very rarely.

I think clubs are realising that ruck is very very hard to play fulltime thesedays and it shortens your career if you don't have much support, so even for a quality ruckman like Leuy, having someone like West to back him up will be beneficial and will be good for his career.

Look after him well, after all we have looked after Troy well for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can everyone see him fitting into the line-up? Will he purely be a back-up ruckman playing in the NEAFL side and covering injuries? Or can Leuy, West, Lisle (Merret back to full-time defender) all be in the same line-up? Keeping in mind we'll have Brown (if fit) also playing and possibly one of Close, Paparone or Paine if they come through up forward.

What happens to Sam Michael?

he can clunk a pretty good pack mark too very exciting havent seen something like that at the lions since jonno brown in his prime

I'm very happy to get him. He's this year's Hudson in terms of the club but with obviously much more upside (age, insurance, better ability to kick goals). A no brainer.

I hope he's not playing 22 games, but I'd happily see him in front of Martin in the team. I am not a fan of Stefan.

Good get. Nice age, solid 2nd ruck. Geelong had to get rid of a ruck because they have the injured McIntosh back for 2014, two good young rucks of Vardy and Simpson are developing very nicely and Geelong sort of accidentally uncovered Blicavs in 2013. Christ it is unfair not to include those 4 in the best 21. Plus they've got another young ruck in Josh Walker too. They simply had too many rucks. Geelong's rucks have turned from a major weakness to a major strength in a few seasons.

We could do worse for a second ruck. Better than Martin. Let's be honest we couldn't rely on Martin (or a young ruck, including Longer) to do the job to a particular standard if Leuenberger went down.

West's quick decision
Sam Lord
31 October 2013

“I didn’t know (I could be headed to Brisbane) until probably two nights before the trade period finished,” West told SEN’s Morning Glory on Thursday.

“I was on a community trip with Geelong, so I couldn’t really get (to Brisbane) in a hurry.

“It sort of happened that quickly. One of my really good mates was there and it’s hard to talk about that stuff with your teammates.”

West, who was contracted to Geelong for another season, said an extended contract, the potential for more game time, and the Lions’ young list were all deciding factors in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back