Retired Trent West (2014-2016)

Think we should get behind this boy.he may be a surprise package.
Its time we snared a goodie.

He's certainly come a long way since the first NAB Challenge game. Got to like someone who gets better with every appearance.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I heard they gave him wet willies before he left.
I heard that they tricked him into thinking that there was something on his collar, but then he looked down to check out his collar, there was nothing on his collar and they hit him on the nose instead.

These club hazings are out of control.

Trent on the Fancast. I think after an extended chat with the bloke I think we can move from 'disinterested' to 'laconic' and 'laidback'.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
West happy amongst Lions’ pride
29 March 2014

GEELONG premiership ruckman Trent West harbours no ill-will towards the Cats as he meets them in just his second match as a Lion on Sunday.
Despite being squeezed out just two years after playing a key role in the 2011 flag success along with Brad Ottens, West has nothing but respect and admiration for his old club.

Rather than proving a point against the Cats at the Gabba, the 26-year-old is only interested in proving his worth to his new Brisbane Lions teammates. He started on the right foot in his Lions debut last week, kicking a career-best three goals in the round one loss to Hawthorn. "It's been a great change so far, I've really enjoyed being up here," West said. "I don't think I have much to prove. I'm pretty sure they (Geelong) understand. "It's about going out there and playing my role for the Lions."

"I had to grab it with both hands and I've loved every step so far." West, playing second ruckman to Matthew Leuenberger, expects it will be weird to play his former teammates but is treating it like "just another game". "It doesn't really worry me to be honest, maybe it's good to have it nice and early in the year to get it out of the way and everyone can move on," he said. Ironically, West's last game for Geelong was against the Lions in last season's final round, when the Cats escaped by a point at home.

317972-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Inside Football player rating Rnd 1 Hawthorn Vs Brisbane Lions,

Emerged as an unlikely goal kicker with 3 majors. Impressive start. 6/10 - Brett Anderson - Inside Football March 27, 2014

Inside Football player rating Rnd 2 Brisbane Lions Vs Geelong,

Struggled against former club. Just three kicks and zero impact. 1/10 – Ben Casanella - Inside Football April 3, 2014

I tend to agree. Some of the ratings for the last two games seemed a bit off and I thought West was serviceable against Geelong. I think his unique relationship with the clubs got a bit hyped and everyone expected a blinder after what he managed against Geelong Hawthorn.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Has been a very good pick up, but I noticed an odd stat in the paper this morning- he had 30 hit outs yesterday, but none to advantage. I'm not sure if I've seen that before? It doesn't help that most of our starting midfield aren't on the park so there would be little familiarity with our second stringers, and I guess most of the team had a bad day.

For reference Merrett had 4 hit outs with 25% effective, Goldstein had 33 with 27% effective, and Daw had 11 with 18% effective.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Such a shame for Trent tonight. Has basically rejuvenated his career and playing regular consistent football for the first time and now possibly cruelled by an ACL. Has been a beast for us this year and despite being elated for the team, but I am really gutted for Trent personally.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Lions face ruck dilemma after injury to Trent West

STEFAN Martin is the early frontrunner to replace injured ruckman Trent West, but Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has left the door open for a surprise elevation. Although the extent of West's injury will only be determined by scans on Monday, the news doesn't look good for the former Geelong premiership player. West's likely long-term absence leaves a gaping hole in the Lions' ruck stocks, with number one option Matthew Leuenberger (knee) still eight weeks from returning. West has done an outstanding job deputising for Leuenberger since his round four meniscus injury. "Initial reports didn't sound good, but you'd hate to go off what was run down the phone to you by the doc," Leppitsch said. "He doesn't look great … I haven't had confirmation other than that from them."

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Injury Update - Trent West

Scans this afternoon have confirmed that Brisbane Lions ruckman Trent West has ruptured his ACL.

Lions General Manager -Football Operations, Dean Warren, said the injury, our second ACL for the season, was a huge disappointment for Trent and the Club.

“Trent has been a fantastic pick up for us this season, shouldering the majority of the Ruck duties in the absence of Matthew Leuenberger,” Warren said. “With both Trent and Matthew out of the side we will look to the likes of Stefan Martin and Rookie, Archie Smith, as candidates to fill that ruckman role.”

West and the Club will now determine the best course of action for his rehabilitation.

Bugger.:mad:

Back