Retired Trent West (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Westy's Adventures: Music

I don't really have any in particular songs that I use to pump me up, more a mix of different artists. I love old school favourites like Cold Chisel and ACDC, I'm probably most likely to play them whilst in the gym or on the way to a game. Thanks to my older siblings I grew up listening to punk rock bands like Millencolin, Pennywise and The Offspring so they're always in the mix too.

Since moving away from home and starting new friendships, however, my music choices have changed a bit, I now listen to a lot of country music and that's probably taken over my iPod, a fair change in pace from punk rock but one that probably suits the life style I enjoy!

acdc%20photo.jpg

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Uni - 14/05/16 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Another solid display. I think he had 27-hitouts and thirteen of those to advantage. Again he was really dominant around the ground with his ruck work and ability to give our mids first service. He didn’t hit the scoreboard when he rested forward so that’s something we can work on and have him push forward for the following weeks. I thought his ability to work around the ground and get on the spread and find some contested marks around the ground was important for him and our midfield. Our rucks certainly had a dominant display on the weekend.

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/07/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments?)

Started forward and played a bit of part-time ruck with Arch. 11 disposals, it was good to see that he was a lot more up and going getting around the ground this week. Three marks and not as many clearances this week. He hit the scoreboard with a couple of behinds. He took a couple of clunks. He should’ve had two goals as a key forward resting down there. But all in all it was a great contribution in around the ground with Archie and his ability to do his tap work. The positive sign was Trent getting around the ground and getting on the spread. Players just didn’t use him enough, particularly just kicking balls at his feet.

Reserves Wrap - Aspley - 30/07/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Probably one of our top-two players on the day behind Jarrad. He shouldered the load as our ruckman for the majority of the day. He had 38 hit outs and a lot of them went to advantage. He not only got back into defence and rebounded the footy but also pushed the footy inside 50 as a ruckman and hit the scoreboard too. I thought his presence in and around the contest and in ruck duals was very good for us to be able to give our midfielders first-use.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney - 06/08/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Westy was probably one of the top-three players on the day for us. He had a solid hit-out for us. Got it 20 times, 12 of them contested, six clearances, it was a really good day for Westy. He battled with Derickx for the majority of the day and hit the scoreboard too. He kicked a goal which is really good for Westy as a ruckman. I thought his ability to compete for us around the ball and give our boys first use was important. He’s stringing some good games together and getting some consistency.

Credit to Westy. Probably didn't have the career he was hoping to at the Lions, however, he served an important role for us before going down with the ACL in 2014 and retires as a premiership player. Can't complain with that!

Well done on the career Westie! Every time I saw him play he ended the game looking absolutely exhausted - he gave everything he had. He was there a few times when we needed him!

Enjoy the next stage!

He was quite good for us before the ACL. Sounds like his body was stuffed though.

Trent West announces his retirement

Brisbane Lions ruckman Trent West has retired.

The 28-year-old spent eight seasons with Geelong and the past three with the Lions, but ultimately injuries got the better of him.

West announced his retirement to the Lions' playing group on Monday and is expected to play his last game against the GIANTS in the NEAFL on Saturday.

He played 70 career games, kicking 28 goals and was a premiership player for Geelong in 2011.

West ruptured his ACL in 2014. He managed four senior games this season but still felt hampered by his knee.

“I felt it was the right time to tell everyone. I feel like there is a weight lifted off my shoulders now,” West told lions.com.au.

“I probably made the decision a while ago and as the year went on that decision probably got clearer for me, mainly because of my body – my knees.

“I could’ve tried to play on for a year, but I would be battling, I reckon.

"The way I have gone this year, not being able to train during the week just so I can play on the weekend, it’s been pretty hard in that regard, just doing everything for my knee to get it up and going for each game.

“That’s probably the main reason, (however) mentally I am also ready to get on and do something else.

“In the frustration of the last couple of years I’ve had enough time to think about life after footy and I’m pretty excited for it.”

West headed to Brisbane during the 2013 off-season in search of greater opportunities and said despite his football setbacks he has enjoyed his time in Brisbane.

“I’ve loved my time up here. The weather is obviously a huge difference to back down south. They’re a great bunch of guys up here and the staff have been great to me.

“We’re looking to move back south (to Victoria) at this stage. I’m not 100% about work, I’m looking at a couple of different things. I’m definitely looking forward to spending more time with the little guy (West and wife Libby’s son, Jack) and more family time on the weekends.”

West counts a narrow win over St Kilda on ANZAC Day in 2014 as a highlight during his time at the Lions.

“We had lost a few games in a row and to win that game over there was great. It was a great experience to get away with the team.”

West also nominates a pre-season trip to Arizona after first being traded as a highlight of his time at the Club, and a point where he was able to establish firm friendships.

“I was so glad I went and spent those first two or three weeks with the guys. I shared a room with Brent Staker. It was a great experience to get to know the guys that way.

“There aren’t a lot of highlights in rehab. It’s a fair grind, but knowing I was never in there on my own was a comforting feeling - there were always plenty of other guys to work with.”

West urged members and supporters to stick with the Club in what have been challenging times.

“We’ve shown patches throughout the year and played some pretty exciting footy. I think it’s just about playing it consistently enough for four quarters and we’ll start winning more games.

“There is definitely some excitement there.

“Hang tight through these tougher times until the group gets a few games under their belt and starts getting some good games together."

Better posted late than never I say.

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 20/08/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Last game for Westy. He worked really hard, playing as a key forward. He didn’t spend a lot of time in the ruck. He just wanted to spend a bit more time down in the forward line and give us a key option and let Archie ruck. Eleven possessions for the day, he had a couple of hit-outs and just tried to be a presence for us up in our forward-50. He finished off the season for us really well, a great career, he can be very proud of what he was able to achieve as a premiership player finishing off.

2016 Club Champion Wrap

Departing Lions Daniel Merrett, Trent West and Justin Clarke were recognised by the Club through Recognition of Service awards, while trainer Sam Mounajed was the recipient of the Murray Johnson Volunteer of the Year Award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player Reviews: Part 3

2016 proved to be a challenging year for Trent West who was held back by injury and the demands of recovery, which led West to call time on his career in August. The premiership winning ruckman arrived from Geelong in 2013, and the following year ruptured his ACL and from then on was never able to get the best out of his body. He managed four senior games this season but still felt hampered by his knee.

Coach’s notes:

Trent West played four games for the Club this year. He’s been a terrific servant for the Club, announcing his retirement at the end of the year. When he came into the side he had an impact around the ground and was able to give the boys first use through his hit-outs. He had 82 hit outs in his four games, an average of 20 a game. He had 8 tackles, 36 possessions, took 9 marks around the ground. A terrific career for him, a premiership player at Geelong – job well done.

Trent West has signed on with my local club in Geelong (and reigning GFL premier) the Leopold Lions.

I can watch him train from my kitchen window now. Might have to poke around and get some more inside info of the going ons at the club.

It won't be a completely foreign environment for him as Michael Close's brother Simon already plays for Leopold at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back