Toast Trevor Barker inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame!

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s why blokes like Plugger, Barry Hall and Luke Ball can **** right off, absolute nobodies. No loyalty.

i wont be looking at it that way,barks loyalty was remarkable not the norm,luke ball was treated like absolute crap and is a quality person in his own right,plugger was a legitimate superstar of the saints,i bare him zero ill will,we win some we lose some,its disappointing that all 3 prefer another club to the saints to this day,but peter mcconville played in flags at carlton,then struggled through a couple seasons at the saints at the end,he is quoted as being a saint for life & went to our games week in week out

i wont be looking at it that way,barks loyalty was remarkable not the norm,luke ball was treated like absolute crap and is a quality person in his own right,plugger was a legitimate superstar of the saints,i bare him zero ill will,we win some we lose some,its disappointing that all 3 prefer another club to the saints to this day,but peter mcconville played in flags at carlton,then struggled through a couple seasons at the saints at the end,he is quoted as being a saint for life & went to our games week in week out
Imagine if we thought the same of Bruce Steele hannners Carlisle etc. and if jack wanted to go to Geelong because of his issues. It’s crazy.

Is a fantastic video but I’m 99% sure they stuffed up one highlight. At at about 4.30 they show a Richmond player backing into barks who uses his body and takes a chest mark. I’m nearly certain that’s Greg burns. That’s exactly how he used to mark
I’ve watched it and stoped it about ten times, it is like Greg Burns but the body shape is wrong I’m satisfied it’s barks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve watched it and stoped it about ten times, it is like Greg Burns but the body shape is wrong I’m satisfied it’s barks.
There’s a clip on there where barks kicks it down the members wing Joffa takes the mark and burns is watching from behind ready to back him up, it’s just after 3.40.

It’s funny we were rubbish then but we had some great players, plenty of personalities and I loved it. The only thing that could have made it any better was winning more often and of course a flag.

There’s a clip on there where barks kicks it down the members wing Joffa takes the mark and burns is watching from behind ready to back him up, it’s just after 3.40.

It’s funny we were rubbish then but we had some great players, plenty of personalities and I loved it. The only thing that could have made it any better was winning more often and of course a flag.
Russell Tweedale likes this post.

Russell Tweedale likes this post.
Wrong thread but he could actually play along with Maurice O’keefe, they were both from up around Ballarat I think.

Anyway some genius decided that all the players had to live in Melbourne and they promptly left. Barks stood out not just for his play but also his commitment and love of the club. I never thought Lindsay fox would pull some of the things he did from playing morwood and foschini to paying 10 cents on the dollar.

I love the saints but when you’ve lived through the crap some of us grumpy old men have you learn not to trust them. If others accuse us of taking too much pleasure in the individuals like Trevor Barker rather than team success it’s because that’s what fate has served us up. I’ll match the champion saints I’ve seen against any other team you can name.

I must admit though that I do feel some shame that our club couldn’t reward the efforts on and off the field of a magnificent favourite son with even one finals appearance. Now when your talking about statues at Moorabbin if barks isn’t at the head of the list then somethings wrong imo.

I missed the best of Barks, I'd followed Carlton when I was really young and when I switched over he was always injured. He was still the only player people outside the club knew and he was royalty at the Saints. I remember meeting him through my ex who was from Beaumaris and had some family links, I wasn't someone who was lost for words but knowing how revered he was I struggled to speak a word to him. He seemed like a friendly affable every man from what I saw of him though.

I missed the best of Barks, I'd followed Carlton when I was really young and when I switched over he was always injured. He was still the only player people outside the club knew and he was royalty at the Saints. I remember meeting him through my ex who was from Beaumaris and had some family links, I wasn't someone who was lost for words but knowing how revered he was I struggled to speak a word to him. He seemed like a friendly affable every man from what I saw of him though.

Obviously pre your story telling days. Im not sure I really ever met him apart from when he brought in my mate. Obviously saw him every Friday night at Saints disco but he had better options than me. Saw him a few times at Derbys and Nicabellas where every footy player hung out.

Funny watching the highlight video is I remember being at the games watching everyone of those marks, standing on top of 6 empty cans so i could see better lol. There was a mark at the swans old ground lakeside oval which was a ripper

Funny watching the highlight video is I remember being at the games watching everyone of those marks, standing on top of 6 empty cans so i could see better lol. There was a mark at the swans old ground lakeside oval which was a ripper
My old man did the same thing lol. Sat on the wing opposite the Animal Enclosure.

Obviously pre your story telling days. Im not sure I really ever met him apart from when he brought in my mate. Obviously saw him every Friday night at Saints disco but he had better options than me. Saw him a few times at Derbys and Nicabellas where every footy player hung out.

I used to meet footy players through work and he was one of the few that shut me up. I actually got nervous around him. I was a pretty utensil sure young man back then, it took a bit to shut me up. My ex's dad used to play bowls with Yabby and he'd go around to their house, I had no idea who he was until her old man told me he won us a premiership. I got a bit shy around him then too. I wasn't a great historian of footy. I really took a strong interest in the mid 90s, I didn't realise at the time how special he was in our history.

I used to meet footy players through work and he was one of the few that shut me up. I actually got nervous around him. I was a pretty utensil sure young man back then, it took a bit to shut me up. My ex's dad used to play bowls with Yabby and he'd go around to their house, I had no idea who he was until her old man told me he won us a premiership. I got a bit shy around him then too. I wasn't a great historian of footy. I really took a strong interest in the mid 90s, I didn't realise at the time how special he was in our history.

Alan davis would argue Yabby cost us premierships. Sums up our luck that he was a much better coach at the Hawks. My old man knew him pretty well as his best mate Brian Muir was chairman of selectors in 1966. And Brian knew Barks very well. I think most people in Cheltenham knew Barks.

Alan davis would argue Yabby cost us premierships. Sums up our luck that he was a much better coach at the Hawks. My old man knew him pretty well as his best mate Brian Muir was chairman of selectors in 1966. And Brian knew Barks very well. I think most people in Cheltenham knew Barks.

Yeah, that's why my ex knew him, her old man played bowls there and was involved at Sandy somehow. He knew Barkers old man too. He was friends with Lindsay Gaze and played basketball with him, he was pretty well connected in sport, he knew heaps of players from the olden days at other clubs too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back