Player Watch Trey Ruscoe (Delisted 2023)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just remembered Trey was the one within a few minutes of his draft profile going up via FB that he liked it and we had a chuckle. A few are like that, very switched on to any news about them.
3A3D05DD-0C16-4B2E-83B3-17EEEAE2D78A.png

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Not these days. His age might be zero using that method.
excellent point. The equation doesnt work unless the player is "au naturel".... The only way to address the issue is to fit a "full diaper" chastity belt to the player for a period of a month and then examine him with a magnifying glass and a lap counter

Hey, I love that! If you’re not gonna be your number 1 fan, who else will be?
Yeah I'd say about one third of all the players we do profiles on like their own profile (which is good because it's basically an endorsement of the content - after all it's easier for people to complain that compliment). It was just funny because he was the first one to like it when unlike some players who like the majority of our content, I'm pretty sure this was his first "like" which is why it stood out. Kinda like he was waiting for it haha.

Great kid, and his mum would often comment a lot and the family and friends were commenting how hard of a worker he was and deserved a chance. It might seem obvious they are positive of him, but most family/friends are often saying how good a player is, whereas they were saying how hard of a worker he is, which I really liked because it showed they took talent out of it and were commenting on his work ethic.

I think you'll find all three draftees are the same. Bianco is a workhorse, Rantall has shown he can make it to international level in a sport and has an elite running capacity. Trey unfortunately got drafted with two absolute sliders so he is often seen as the extra, but I genuinely think this is a great selection as well. I had him at #42 on my overall board, so where we picked him up is good value in my eyes.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Yeah I'd say about one third of all the players we do profiles on like their own profile (which is good because it's basically an endorsement of the content - after all it's easier for people to complain that compliment). It was just funny because he was the first one to like it when unlike some players who like the majority of our content, I'm pretty sure this was his first "like" which is why it stood out. Kinda like he was waiting for it haha.

Great kid, and his mum would often comment a lot and the family and friends were commenting how hard of a worker he was and deserved a chance. It might seem obvious they are positive of him, but most family/friends are often saying how good a player is, whereas they were saying how hard of a worker he is, which I really liked because it showed they took talent out of it and were commenting on his work ethic.

I think you'll find all three draftees are the same. Bianco is a workhorse, Rantall has shown he can make it to international level in a sport and has an elite running capacity. Trey unfortunately got drafted with two absolute sliders so he is often seen as the extra, but I genuinely think this is a great selection as well. I had him at #42 on my overall board, so where we picked him up is good value in my eyes.

It sounds like he comes from a very grounded family! My take is that to be a draft eligible talent you’re at a suburban league B&F level or thereabouts (we’ve all played with or against someone that talented) so they’ve all got “it” to a certain degree. It’s then those intangibles like work ethic and upbringing that take on a greater importance to separate you from the pack.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
How do you see him fitting in to our side Pie 4 Life in the medium to long term, if he's to make it?

It's now common knowledge that he's not originally a defender, so he shouldn't necessarily be pigeon-holed as one. Although the fact he moved there only recently and probably got drafted on his defensive ability, you'd have to say that's a starting point, with plenty of scope for improvement (hello Derek Hine!).

So assuming he starts out with us a defender, and going off his highlights and highlights alone, I would assume he's probably competing for the same spot occupied by Scharenberg/Langdon? That medium intercept type. Or even a Howe replacement down the track if he proves his worth?

I reckon Ned Guy is very much on the course of turning over players on average wages whom are commanding more cash from good performance, say a Langdon type, and replacing them with a third year+ player with ability. This will help us maintain our top end elite talent by minimising the cost of our role players.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if we can trade out Aish, there's nothing to say we won't trade out Langdon, Scharenberg, etc. if the depth is there.

How do you see him fitting in to our side Pie 4 Life in the medium to long term, if he's to make it?

It's now common knowledge that he's not originally a defender, so he shouldn't necessarily be pigeon-holed as one. Although the fact he moved there only recently and probably got drafted on his defensive ability, you'd have to say that's a starting point, with plenty of scope for improvement (hello Derek Hine!).

So assuming he starts out with us a defender, and going off his highlights and highlights alone, I would assume he's probably competing for the same spot occupied by Scharenberg/Langdon? That medium intercept type. Or even a Howe replacement down the track if he proves his worth?

I reckon Ned Guy is very much on the course of turning over players on average wages whom are commanding more cash from good performance, say a Langdon type, and replacing them with a third year+ player with ability. This will help us maintain our top end elite talent by minimising the cost of our role players.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if we can trade out Aish, there's nothing to say we won't trade out Langdon, Scharenberg, etc. if the depth is there.
I reckon he will probably play defence with a look to playing midfield in the future. He's that bigger bodied inside mid which while we have heaps of midfielders, do not have a great deal of - most of our inside mids are smaller or the taller ones like Pendles are going to be used in more outside roles, or still developing in areas such as Wills and Sier. De Goey is one who will be an exception in that, but Ruscoe could develop into that type.

I think with Ruscoe he just ticks a lot of boxes. He's not neccessarily has an elite trait - maybe competitiveness and one-on-ones - but he does not have that many flaws in his game. The fact he can play other roles outside of the defensive one is important and I know our WA writers were impressed with his ability in the centre square. We know that Collingwood is not worried about transforming a player into a certain role so I think it will be interesting to see how he goes. Ruscoe for mine is a defender who could look to develop into that big-bodied inside mid we don't have too many of - again emphasis on the bigger body, of course we have a lot of midfield depth..

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon he will probably play defence with a look to playing midfield in the future. He's that bigger bodied inside mid which while we have heaps of midfielders, do not have a great deal of - most of our inside mids are smaller or the taller ones like Pendles are going to be used in more outside roles, or still developing in areas such as Wills and Sier. De Goey is one who will be an exception in that, but Ruscoe could develop into that type.

I think with Ruscoe he just ticks a lot of boxes. He's not neccessarily has an elite trait - maybe competitiveness and one-on-ones - but he does not have that many flaws in his game. The fact he can play other roles outside of the defensive one is important and I know our WA writers were impressed with his ability in the centre square. We know that Collingwood is not worried about transforming a player into a certain role so I think it will be interesting to see how he goes. Ruscoe for mine is a defender who could look to develop into that big-bodied inside mid we don't have too many of - again emphasis on the bigger body, of course we have a lot of midfield depth..
I’d think a key part here, by your observations, is that he’s not exhibiting obvious flaws in his game.
You’d think, thats a high value starting point.
And he certainly has the size and competitive one on one traits to give himself a real go at a longer term successful career.

He has nice building blocks.
I like his attitude too.

whilst each draft year is the hope selling business, this year with luck in health, we might just have scooped up some really good players longer term. All three display focus and aptitude to better themselves.

(The Nanny job slot, has been taken down from the club website this year :))

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers

Had the chance last year to let Langdon go (with Shaz & Murphy waiting) to Sydney, probably should have with his dodgy knee

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Had the chance last year to let Langdon go (with Shaz & Murphy waiting) to Sydney, probably should have with his dodgy knee

In fairness he was coming off an exceptional season and wasn't injured at the time of negotiations.

I hope he gets back and stays with us long term however I fully expect we'll see more games at the start of 2020 without him present. Opportunities are there.

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
In fairness he was coming off an exceptional season and wasn't injured at the time of negotiations.

I hope he gets back and stays with us long term however I fully expect we'll see more games at the start of 2020 without him present. Opportunities are there.
He was our best defender, but he's had knee issues for years and it's a position we have plenty of depth.
I don't hate the resigning but there's only so many $ in the cap and we need them for the big 4

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
He was our best defender, but he's had knee issues for years and it's a position we have plenty of depth.
I don't hate the resigning but there's only so many $ in the cap and we need them for the big 4
He re-signed before he did his ACL. He played himself into a new contract which would be minimum chips anyway given his age.

He re-signed before he did his ACL. He played himself into a new contract which would be minimum chips anyway given his age.

Think it happened a week or 2 after he Re-Signed

Back