Trial rules on show for final women's exhibition game

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-18/trial-rules-on-show-for-final-womens-exhibition-game

The AFL will use the final exhibition match of the year to gather data to help it formulate rules for the inaugural national women's league starting next February.
  • Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs will each play 16-a-side, with six interchange players.
  • The ball will be slightly smaller than the one used for the women's exhibition matches played around Australia this season.
  • The AFL's definition of deliberate-out-of-bounds will also apply for the nationally televised all-star game.
AFL game development general manager Simon Lethlean said rules were tested during the second round of the women’s exhibition series to assess their impact on reducing congestion and increasing scoring.

“We have also consulted a number of AFL assistant coaches and opposition analysts to gain their views on the women’s games, while also considering data relating to the optimal football size for women,” Lethlean said.

“Deakin University will assess the impact of these rules in advance of the national women’s league and it does not necessarily mean these rules will be in place in 2017.”

When the Expansion of more clubs in season 2018 the number of players on the field will change to the standard 18 an 4 on the bench as for this stage they are trailing an 16 a side as a concept of a NAB CUP trail

Not sure about the trials. Didn't really notice it was 16 a side, but I think it began to tell in the second half in terms of fatigue. The downside of using fewer players to open up play and cut congestion, is that the extra space demands extra running.

Also, not sure they need to tinker to cut congestion, and increase scoring, as the higher skill level does that anyway.

It was only a 2 goal first quarter, but after that it was a goal fest considering how short the game was.

Didnt notice the out of bounds rules at all.

Smaller ball I am unsure of. It may have contributed to poorer kicking, but one advantage to the women of the smaller ball is they may get a bit of extra distance with it. Tayla Harris's goal carried 50 m easily, and Foley carried at least 45 and she was in the tackle when she kicked it.

Not sure about the trials. Didn't really notice it was 16 a side, but I think it began to tell in the second half in terms of fatigue.

Nah, I found it very obvious from the start about 16 a side. Was obvious a few less players out there than the norm.
VFA used to have 16 a side too. Cannot remember when they stopped it.

16 players seemed okay, general play seemed more open and fatigue can actually cause more exciting play as it tends to open up the game. Skills, technique, physical attributes tend to come to the fore under stress.

Smaller ball might be an issue in the short term though.

Not sure about the trials. Didn't really notice it was 16 a side, but I think it began to tell in the second half in terms of fatigue. The downside of using fewer players to open up play and cut congestion, is that the extra space demands extra running.

Also, not sure they need to tinker to cut congestion, and increase scoring, as the higher skill level does that anyway.

It was only a 2 goal first quarter, but after that it was a goal fest considering how short the game was.

Didnt notice the out of bounds rules at all.

Smaller ball I am unsure of. It may have contributed to poorer kicking, but one advantage to the women of the smaller ball is they may get a bit of extra distance with it. Tayla Harris's goal carried 50 m easily, and Foley carried at least 45 and she was in the tackle when she kicked it.
During the commentary they said at some time in the second half they moved the two back pocket players up on the wings as the players got tired. Do not know if this is standard practise in 16 a side.
My wife commented on how hard the players were going in, which surprised her, however she did enjoy the game especially the good marks that were taken.

During the commentary they said at some time in the second half they moved the two back pocket players up on the wings as the players got tired. Do not know if this is standard practise in 16 a side.
My wife commented on how hard the players were going in, which surprised her, however she did enjoy the game especially the good marks that were taken.
I have played some reduced numbers games. Typically it is the wings shown as being absent, but you make sure you have normal numbers in mid, and push players up from the ends of the ground. So in practice you run light on pockets.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back