Tribunal and the roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting, both players seem to get off extremely lightly for what seemed to be quite in excusable offences.

King found guilty of striking a player and a runner.Got a 2 weeks suspension.
You have got to be kidding

Steven struck/"gently bumped" an opositions doctor and recieved a fine after previously being suspended for striking buckly.
Once again seemed pretty light

I may be way off but I always considered striking a non player as something that was considered worse than striking a player.Specially a doctor

Just want to see what you roos supporters thought of the punishment (apart from the fact you over the moon)

[This message has been edited by sabre_ac (edited 07 March 2001).]

Hey Sabre just because you live in the West doesnt give you any excuse not to have the correct infomation about the charges, when you get them right then come back and discuss them.

Originally posted by sabre_ac:
Ok
for my own benifit tell me were I am mistaken

Barracking for Fremantle, for a start
biggrin.gif

Ok
for my own benifit tell me were I am mistaken

Well you have done a little bit of editing. Stevo didnt strike the Doctor and Kingy didnt strike the runner. Last year our runner ran into a player and guess what he was fined 4000.00 for doing it. But hey they both got what they deserved according to the tribunal so thats that.

It's funny you know, both incidents nearly happened right in front of me and for some strange reason I cannot remember King striking the runner nor Stevo striking the doctor.

Pushing and shoving - YES, but striking, jeeze, they must have a different interpretation of striking in the West.

------------------
If you see me getting mighty,
If you see me getting high,
Knock me down,
I'm not bigger than Life

R.H.C.P.

I would be more interested in hearing what the Roos supporters think about the concurrent stuff. I've never heard of someone being able to serve two tribunal sentences concurrently before. Does anyone know what the tribunal's reasoning for this was?

------------------
The early bird gets the worm. But the second mouse gets the cheese

Elt - I've never come across it before. Honestly the AFL tribunal is such a grey area I'm suprised they know how to find their way to work half the time.

Interesting, both players seem to get off extremely lightly for what seemed to be quite in excusable offences.

King found guilty of striking a player and a runner.Got a 2 weeks suspension.
You have got to be kidding

Steven struck/"gently bumped" an opositions doctor and recieved a fine after previously being suspended for striking buckly.
Once again seemed pretty light

I may be way off but I always considered striking a non player as something that was considered worse than striking a player.Specially a doctor

Just want to see what you roos supporters thought of the punishment (apart from the fact you over the moon)

[This message has been edited by sabre_ac (edited 07 March 2001).]

BOTH OF THOSE **** SUCKERS DESERVE TO ROT BEHIND BARS FOR ASSAULTING NON FOOTBALL PLAYERS WHO WERE JUST TRYING TO DO THEIR JOB.

IGNORANT THUGS JUST LIKE THE REST OF THEIR NO GOOD w***er TEAM!!!

Well, I was damn surprised at the penalties handed out.

Firstly, Stevo. You would think that if Buckley had sufferred a major injury, the doctor would have been waving his arm and calling for the stretcher and some assistance. I think that Stevo has played enough footy to know the difference between a winded player and one with a major injury. The other thing is that from the evidence presented, it was obvious that it was just a bit of humourous (if somewhat stupid) banter between Stevo and the doctor. As the tribunial said, it was hardly malicious, and so, a fine was stupid. A severe reprimand would have sufficed.

As for David King, what would have happened if King was pushing and shoving an opponent, as opposed to a runner? Maybe King would have given away a free kick, even a 50m penalty (and with the 50m, he would have been dragged by Pagan and given an earful). At worst, he would've been reported for wrestling, and could have taken the offer of a fine in lieu of appearing at the tribunial. In other words, he would have gotten off more lightly if he was pushing and shoving another player instead of the runner.

As it turned out, King was found guilty, but on the field, shouldn't the players have right of way over the runners? I find it pretty hard to believe that the runner could not see where King's space would be. After all, runners are good at locating players (they need to be in order to relay the coaches instructions quicky and efficiently). So, as a result, the onus is now on players to keep their eyes out open for opposition runners rather than the other way around. While what King did doesn't look good on TV, a 2 week suspension was way too harsh...if they were to suspend him, one week would have been enough to get the message across. But what of the runner? Will the next time it happens, will the defence once again be "it was an accident...honest!)"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the semi final between the Kangaroos & Hawthorn on the 18/8/00 Anthony Rock grabbed Ken Hannam, the NMFC runner. He grabbed him by his shirt and pushed him backwards. Although this incident was replayed, to my knowledge there was no investigation and no subsequent charge or suspension. Last season in the Kangaroos V Collingwood (RD 5 I think ) David King was kneed in the groin by Betharas of Collingwood. Betheras was never reported after perusal of the video footage by the umpires. In both of these cases Rock and Betheras were very fortunate. I do not condone what Stevo and Kingy did, but they at least faced the music. It is a riddle as to why the umpires report some players and not others. It also a mystery as why Nathan Buckley was cleared of striking last year, when other players have been suspended for weeks for similiar incidents. The tribunal and the pre tribunal process leaves alot to be desired.

Originally posted by hotham:
It also a mystery as why Nathan Buckley was cleared of striking last year, when other players have been suspended for weeks for similiar incidents. The tribunal and the pre tribunal process leaves alot to be desired.

Nathan Buckley is one of my favourite players to watch, and one of the league's elite, but how he escaped suspension for whacking Kellaway last year is beyond me. He should have copped three weeks.

Having said that, I believe this doesn't really have anything to do with the suspensions meted out to King and Stevens.

Consistency, fairness, equity. Why should David King be suspended for an incident when Anthony Rock was never reported. Why should Chris Grant be made ineligable for a Brownlow medal after being found guitly of a similiar charge for which Buckley was cleared.

[This message has been edited by hotham (edited 08 March 2001).]

Originally posted by JUBJUB:
Is this history in the making ?

Caroline Wilson hasn't been blamed for King & Stevens being reported
smile.gif
smile.gif

Her involvement will be revealed. She has to be behind it. She has put the country in recesion and caused a run on the dollar. She also caused my TV to stop working. Bitch, she will get hers one day.

Guys,

We can talk about similiar events and their respective penalties in previous years, and think of excuses etc... but the bottom line is both Kingy and Stevo are EXPERIENCED players who both performed a stupid act. These guys are role models to our younger guys, whether it was a lack of concerntration or whatever - I expect them not to get reported for such minor but stupid acts.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96:
JUBJUB... her name is now USC... get it right in future posts please...

Sorry ROOBOY
frown.gif
.I'll make sure I get it right next time
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

If I have to use USC does that mean you should use COLDBUTT.After friday night your probably already calling him that
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Hey ,just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back