Mega Thread Tribunal Verdict - Not comfortably satisfied there was a violation - Statement in Post #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Port Adelaide players Angus Monfries and Paddy Ryder were today found not guilty by the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal for using banned peptide Thymosin Beta-4 while playing for Essendon in 2012.

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said the club was relieved with today’s decision.

“Clearly we are pleased for Angus and Paddy,” Mr Thomas said.

“They have been through so much and we are very proud as to how they’ve handled themselves during this difficult time.

“It’s a relief that they have been found not guilty of these breaches and can now focus on their football.”

Monfries and Ryder are eligible for selection this week for Port Adelaide’s Round 1 clash against Fremantle in Perth.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-03-31/pafc-statement-afl-antidoping-tribunal-hearing

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So is there a risk that if the players play this weekend, and that ASADA appeals and wins...that the suspensions would not be back-dated?
I think it that case they still can get backdated. Works something like the provisional period counts and is backdated, then the games played are "ignored", and then the rest of the suspension starts after that

Interesting result. Make sure you don't get positive tests, destroy all records and you can do whatever you want. Pretty much destroys the ability of WADA ADADA etc to deal with structured doping. It will be interesting if the evidence of the trail to the EFC ever comes to light. There must have been some holes there.

If ASADA appeal then this keeps going I guess. And if they lose can WADA appeal? I suppose so. Amazing!!

regardless of how dodgy it all seems this is a good day for the essendon fans, whom regardless of what happened at the club itself never did anything other than love a team, so i hope this outcome brings them happiness at least and they can get back to just watching footy

I think it that case they still can get backdated. Works something like the provisional period counts and is backdated, then the games played are "ignored", and then the rest of the suspension starts after that

That would be a fair outcome if it came to that

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I knew they would get off.
AFL protecting the product.

As soon as they announced the dodgy hearing right before round one ,I was convinced.Very dodgy by the AFL.

Change the sash to yellow and we'd be put out to pasture for 3 years.
Seriously? AFL covered up and injected cash into MFC for pities sake! We're not a marketable product (yet...)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the timing of the press conferences - theres some nice stage managing going on here.

- AFLPA 3.30pm
- Essendon 4.00pm
- AFL 4.45pm
You'd prefer they all happened at once?

Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
You can bet your arse on an appeal as ASADA have invested too much to let it go. We all anticipated though that the losers, whether it be ASADA or the players, would appeal. Give them a chance to strengthen their evidence, if that is at all possible.

TigerTime3

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
regardless of how dodgy it all seems this is a good day for the essendon fans, whom regardless of what happened at the club itself never did anything other than love a team, so i hope this outcome brings them happiness at least and they can get back to just watching footy

Screw the feelings of fans, I hope it drags on another year with appeals :D:p

I thought this summed it up brilliantly:

So lets get this straight, a few people at the top at Carlton orchestrated salary cap cheating which compromised the club for 10 to 15 years (and almost destroyed it) due to the draconian and unjustifiable penalties handed out by the AFL, another club can orchestrate a systematic doping operation involving coaches, club doctors, non-playing staff and the players themselves and the AFL finds them above board. I hope ASADA ruin the AFL.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
You can bet your arse on an appeal as ASADA have invested too much to let it go. We all anticipated though that the losers, whether it be ASADA or the players, would appeal. Give them a chance to strengthen their evidence, if that is at all possible.
Appeals don't allow new evidence so where would the strengthening occur?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The AFL Players’ Association welcomes today’s tribunal decision, in which all 34 current and former Essendon players have been cleared of an anti-doping rule violation.

We have always been of the view that these players have done nothing wrong and this has been confirmed by the Tribunal today.

This decision does not absolve the Essendon Football Club of blame. Players were placed in an unacceptable position that put their health and careers at risk.

For over two years these players’ lives have been hijacked by this issue through no fault of their own, and today’s decision brings a sense of overwhelming relief and vindication of the players’ consistent position of innocence throughout this saga.

The players have withstood enormous uncertainty, public scrutiny and speculation over their health, their careers, and their reputations. This decision finally brings that uncertainty and speculation to an end.

I would like to commend the players for the way in which they have conducted themselves over the past two years. Players have honestly, candidly and transparently cooperated with the process and can hold their heads high that this decision has cleared them of any wrong doing.

We are relieved this matter is now closed and we, as an industry, can get on with the footy. We believe this matter provides an opportunity for genuine industry reflection to ensure this type of situation never happens again.

The PA will continue to work with the AFL and Clubs to do everything we can to make sure no player’s health is ever put at risk again in the pursuit of on-field success.
ref: http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/statement-from-ceo-paul-marsh-4/

Lol, strengthen what evidence exactly? Is the magic dragon going to drop some unicorn eggs full of stardust evidence that they are yet to come across?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back