Society/Culture *trigger warning* fixing the problems impacting the greater society

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so just to clarify. As a hypothetical, if I checked out your ideas and posted, "hey man those ideas you posted are an unimaginable steaming pile of s**t" you wouldn't be even slightly offended because you know, I'm not attacking you 'the poster', just the ideas - that you may or may not have pondered over and refined over the course of many years? It wouldn't bother you in the slightest, right?

Where do ideas come from btw?
Attacking one idea wouldn't offend me no. I would actually be interested to know the reason why someone dramatically disagreed with it. But if some one attacked all my ideas then yes it would offend me because part of who I am is a sum of my ideas. But what is wrong with offending people if it is based off valid reasons? Would you not call Hitlers ideas on life a sum of "unimaginable steaming pile of s**t" because its more important not to offend people then challenge there ideas and put them in their proper place?

I've always found the most pro national service are those who never actually have to do it.

Need to demilitarise it and pay a decent wage. (A bit like Uniform Income tied to National Project Building/Volunteerism etc). Has been done in the past with Snowy Hydro and other projects.Actually is called Targeted Government Spending and Full Employment. Than I'd sign up myself.

Taking a bunch of misfits and having some Sergeant drill them at 6am and train them to kill other people hardly inspires confidence in the nation.

Another problem. Who actually funds it? Already our key infrastructure and services are being privatised or sold off at a rate of knots so who exactly is going to pay for the skilled training/national projects? If we privatise it it is a form of slave labour, make it compulsory and it is conscription.

Precisely. But like most things in this country, the masses assume the most extreme.
In reality, things such as national service, military school etc do not teach combat. The time is spent on basics, such as cooking and cleaning with the rest of the time spent giving back to the community

Kidd Vicious raises decent points on these issues, he's a good poster, however I'd like to discuss and debate his thoughts on national service as it varies between countries and states. National service can involve furthering education in technology and allow students access to resources they may not have otherwise.

Kidd Vicious raises decent points on these issues, he's a good poster, however I'd like to discuss and debate his thoughts on national service as it varies between countries and states. National service can involve furthering education in technology and allow students access to resources they may not have otherwise.
Good poster?

He's the lower level of the annoying law students that practice their 'whinging against the odds' on us unwilling victims of these try hards.

Unfortunately vicious isn't even on that low of a level.

National Service needs to be broad. Effectively it would be a few years of a boarding school type arrangement. Teaches discipline, not combat. Ie. they have lights out at the same time every night, early morning training runs etc.
This keeps them off the street during the dangerous period of 18-21 (there was a study a few years back that showed most violent crimes are committed in this age group).

Have tafe style education, teaching trades. It gives people a fall back should they not pursue a chosen career, while helping young/generational farmers develop techniques to thrive (rather than survive).

The skills learned in this training could open doors to military career for the youth who have no job prospects.

As I said earlier, the jobs that were previously filled by teenagers all of a sudden open up to the lower income earners or even the unemployed/homeless.

Obviously it would be costly, however, I believe it could save a lot more in the long term, and also dramatically clean up the streets.

I'm a firm believer in the 4 pillars (courage, endurance, mateship, sacrifice), and believe these values are the cornerstone to our future as Australians.

I understand that some won't understand what I am getting at, whilst others will be just sinicle for the sake of it, however, if a system like this was rolled out, I do believe it could change our future and wipe out prejudices

I understand that some won't understand what I am getting at, whilst others will be just sinicle for the sake of it, however, if a system like this was rolled out, I do believe it could change our future and wipe out prejudices
Well, people would be right to be sinicle, because you seem to be describing the roles of schools and TAFEs.

There are a million different problems with this idea, and it will be taken seriously.

National Service needs to be broad. Effectively it would be a few years of a boarding school type arrangement. Teaches discipline, not combat. Ie. they have lights out at the same time every night, early morning training runs etc.
This keeps them off the street during the dangerous period of 18-21 (there was a study a few years back that showed most violent crimes are committed in this age group).

Have tafe style education, teaching trades. It gives people a fall back should they not pursue a chosen career, while helping young/generational farmers develop techniques to thrive (rather than survive).

The skills learned in this training could open doors to military career for the youth who have no job prospects.

As I said earlier, the jobs that were previously filled by teenagers all of a sudden open up to the lower income earners or even the unemployed/homeless.

Obviously it would be costly, however, I believe it could save a lot more in the long term, and also dramatically clean up the streets.

I'm a firm believer in the 4 pillars (courage, endurance, mateship, sacrifice), and believe these values are the cornerstone to our future as Australians.

No we understand what you are getting at. You just make very poor assumptions about economics, show a very poor understanding of statistics (just because 18-21 years might be the most likely age group to commit violent acts doesn't mean they are in any way remotely violent) and ignore basic freedoms the Australian fought for that you have obviously taken for granted.

Ignoring all the other problems with your theory. Why should kids who want to become doctors, scientists etc have to waste 2-3 years doing tafe like training. Just results in another 2-3 years further delay in these people being able to work. Do you seriously think they don't learn friendship, sacrifice etc in university?

Rather then taking young people out of society into forced national service to provide homeless people with the opportunity to work in unskilled jobs why don't you just give the homeless the welfare services equivalent to what you would spend on kids in national service (without the military side). It would cost a hell of a lot less given there are multiple times more 18-21 year olds then homeless people and allow young people to choose what they want to do with their lives. Do you even consider that most homeless people aren't capable to work in the jobs 18-21 years old do because of drug, mental and physical disability problems?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love your post Seeds, but the policy proposal of "Just make them do national service" is never serious; it's the last resort of unimaginative thinkers who'd never do it themselves.
Just have to shake your head when someone says they value sacrifice and in the same breath advocates a different age group of people to do the sacrificing.

yankie war hero smedley butler said something along the lines of; only those that are in the army, or at threat to actually go to war - should be the only people allowed to vote

Remove this Banner Ad

Back