Triple J Hottest 100 - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sort of feels a bit early in the year but the markets are starting to appear and articles are starting to be posted.

Sportsbet just have the single market at the moment, for the winning artist, with Glass Animals the favourite at $6.50. The Weeknd is sitting second, but I’m assuming that SB have thought that Blinding Lights was released this year (released last year, already placed in last years countdown).

Feels pretty wide open in my opinion. Heat Waves by Glass Animals definitely has a big chance, and Flume (at $10 on SB) is always a contender, The Difference was definitely a hit early in the year but maybe released a little too early to have that summer festival wave that Rushing Back had last year. Billie Eilish ($12 SB)will be a chance again with My Future, I definitely see it going top 10, not sure if it has winning power though. Ruel ($12) has a monumental following now, will go very high with his new track and Juice WRLD ($12) has had big posthumous release after big posthumous release. Tame Impala are sitting at $12 as well but votes will be split across Lost In Yesterday, Breathe Deeper and Is It True. The Avalanches look decent at $18, Running Red Lights will be their main contender, although with the album still to come, and 6 tracks already released from it, they’ll have tracks taking votes from each other.

Cardi B is at $34 if you’re looking for a wildcard, hard to say whether or not WAP will still be as popular then as it is now.

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Decent way to go, but think Heat Waves clearly at this stage. Wouldn't be surprised if Your Love got top 10 too, Glass Animals clearly the most popular band for this year. Flume and The Avalanches probably the only realistic challengers. Expect Hyperfine, Lost in Yesterday, Complicated, Cherub, Death Bed and On Our Own to be right up there as well. Keep an eye out for Spacey Jane too, reckon they'll be similar to Lime Cordiale and have multiple songs up there, they have gotten pretty big overnight. Hope there isn't much Ruel or Billie this year, but fanbases may carry them.

chennef

Rookie
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Glass animals probs will take it. For value I'd chuck some coin on DMA's at $21

jack 231

Senior List
Jun 17, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Been on glass animals from $51 outright.

Will get involved in this thread a bit later in the year but glass animals definitely in the box seat atm. Couple months to go yet though so keep an eye out for any big singles dropping before summer.

Cheers

Liljam

Debutant
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Most likely too late in the year for gangs to take the title imo be a good stab if it did though. Glass animals is lined up well to take the win while having 2 songs in top 10 and 3 songs inside the top 25 possibly. Only real question for me is who can push it out? Flume (not a big song but it's flume) or maybe a year for an underdog solo female like Eve's karydas? I could see the Scott's up there also, dunno about powfu.. can't figure out how that fits in haha

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
SB have actually taken Ruel back out to $21 from $12, which is surprising. Would’ve thought that $12 was reasonable considering the company that he had at the same price (Tame Impala, Juice Wrld and what not).

It’ll very interesting to see how the Tiktok tracks go, I think Powfu will go top 30 at least, personally. Cardi B is also into $21, it’ll also well I reckon.

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Blinding Lights and Supalonely missed a trick coming out just before the cutoff last year, probably the only real crossover hits this year, other than the usual Hilltop Hoods song and Powfu. Suspect Blinding Lights may have cruised to a win.

Think Ball Park Music's Radiohead cover today will make it, only other LaV in contention would be the G Flip one. Don't think they'll do particularly well though. Cherub goes top 5 I think, gaining momentum at the perfect time.

jack1231

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Decent way to go, but think Heat Waves clearly at this stage. Wouldn't be surprised if Your Love got top 10 too, Glass Animals clearly the most popular band for this year. Flume and The Avalanches probably the only realistic challengers. Expect Hyperfine, Lost in Yesterday, Complicated, Cherub, Death Bed and On Our Own to be right up there as well. Keep an eye out for Spacey Jane too, reckon they'll be similar to Lime Cordiale and have multiple songs up there, they have gotten pretty big overnight. Hope there isn't much Ruel or Billie this year, but fanbases may carry them.

agree with all of this. spacey jane booster seat will get the triple j fanboy votes

thinking House Arrest might top 30 too
Complicated Eves Karydas top 30

jack1231

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I was holding off until I heard Billie Eillish's new song this morning. Definitely not a #1 song and I think its too late now for any other new songs to win it.

feeling pretty good about glass animals and spacey J bets.

bring on the voting

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I was holding off until I heard Billie Eillish's new song this morning. Definitely not a #1 song and I think its too late now for any other new songs to win it.

feeling pretty good about glass animals and spacey J bets.

bring on the voting
Glass Animals into $2.75 at Neds. What did you get Spacey Jane at?

Too late for any new songs to get the momentum needed now. Think Cherub and Booster Seat are the only possible smokies to knock off Heat Waves, possibly Flume as well because he's only released the one song and may get a filler vote.

jack1231

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Glass Animals into $2.75 at Neds. What did you get Spacey Jane at?

Too late for any new songs to get the momentum needed now. Think Cherub and Booster Seat are the only possible smokies to knock off Heat Waves, possibly Flume as well because he's only released the one song and may get a filler vote.

Hey mate,

I got spacey J $15 at Tabtouch which was still $10 there last time I looked. a good saver bet, got a hunch itll be up there but arguably not mainstream enough to win.

I have been slowly been putting my pocket money on glass animals outright (best result) and spacey jane outright (money back + a bit)

I dont wanna go too hard too early but once bookies realise The Weeknd's song was from last year and his odds skyrocket out of contention, then Glass animals really should be <$3 and spacey Jane ~ $5 with flume and the other usual suspects following. It is definitely a year that a filler vote could win, as no clear standout...

tl;dr glass animals then spacey jane, but anyone could win. dont wanna bet too hard yet, but i think glass animals odds will continue to drop :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jack1231

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
as someone who bets pretty large amounts on this event im happy to take SJ $15 and GA $3.7 dutched to odds of $3 for either to win

still gotta wait for voting to open before going too hard.

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Hard to know what the challengers will be compared to last year where there were multiple massive crossover hits. I'm in a strong position with Glass Animals bets from mid-year, probably best to wait and see if there is a wildcard when voting starts, but $15 is probably the best we'll get for bands like Spacey Jane and Ball Park Music who I expect to be the main challengers, they seem the types that will dominate warmtunas early and have their odds come in. Think warm tunas could underrate GA, if it starts slowly and drifts to $5+ I'd hit it hard again.

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
GA now $2.5 at Neds
SJ $15 at tabtouch looks like an error as it was $10 last week
Looks like Amy Shark has come into $6 while SJ pushes out, which doesn't make sense. Weeknd maintaining low odds everywhere. Tabtouch look to be slightly off, could be the place that value appears this year.

jack1231

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
The winner is listed in the field below. Also roughly the odds I would have at present if I was a bookie :)

Glass Animals $3
Spacey Jane $6
Flume $8
Powfu $13
Ballpark $13
Sofi Tukker $13
Eves Karydas $15
Ruel $15

Glass Animals and Spacey Jane are the true outright winner chances.

A filler vote can win this year. Flume is the interesting one to me. Anytime Flume is 3rd favourite to win you would be cautious betting on others. The song is definitely not a #1 track but its quite possible it makes it into alot of top 10s. Ballpark, Eves and Sofi also fall into this category although I have Flume just above them.

Sadly Ruel is a top 20 chance nowadays due to his fans and we saw what they did to the H100 of the decade earlier this year. Surely they dont have the voting capacity to actually win though.

I am currently sitting on the following bets and am very eager for voting to start to adjust my position accordingly:

Glass animals win = 3.5k profit
Spacey Jane win = .7k profit
Eves K win = moneyback. placed a small bet earlier in year at $51.
Powfu = moneyback. placed a small bet earlier in year at $51.

Liljam

Debutant
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The winner is listed in the field below. Also roughly the odds I would have at present if I was a bookie :)

Glass Animals $3
Spacey Jane $6
Flume $8
Powfu $13
Ballpark $13
Sofi Tukker $13
Eves Karydas $15
Ruel $15

Glass Animals and Spacey Jane are the true outright winner chances.

A filler vote can win this year. Flume is the interesting one to me. Anytime Flume is 3rd favourite to win you would be cautious betting on others. The song is definitely not a #1 track but its quite possible it makes it into alot of top 10s. Ballpark, Eves and Sofi also fall into this category although I have Flume just above them.

Sadly Ruel is a top 20 chance nowadays due to his fans and we saw what they did to the H100 of the decade earlier this year. Surely they dont have the voting capacity to actually win though.

I am currently sitting on the following bets and am very eager for voting to start to adjust my position accordingly:

Glass animals win = 3.5k profit
Spacey Jane win = .7k profit
Eves K win = moneyback. placed a small bet earlier in year at $51.
Powfu = moneyback. placed a small bet earlier in year at $51.

I agree with most of this. My opinion is Spacey Jane won't make top 5 neither will powfu. Instead I have juice wrld up in the pointy end. Good to see the overlapping opinion on glass animals and flume!

jack1231

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree with most of this. My opinion is Spacey Jane won't make top 5 neither will powfu. Instead I have juice wrld up in the pointy end. Good to see the overlapping opinion on glass animals and flume!
Yep! and sorry just to clarify my list is definitely not a finishing order prediction, but it’s just how I rank the odds at this stage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back