triple j Hottest 100 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

glad to see Die4u, Clarkson, Up and Blueprint all make it today, guess SFK’s Cardigan and The Change by What So Not/DMA’s will miss out, hoping The Rubens and Wombats pop up soon

also that Lime Cordiale/Idris Elba collab is AWFUL, another triple j band that get votes for the sake of it

If Rufus get 3 from here I think they get to 15. No that’s wrong sorry

i forgot about RUFUS, are they going to make 15?

if Tom Cardy makes it, I won’t be shocked considering how many TikTok songs have charted today at the expense of actually good music

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kanye West easily if he hadn’t already, Lorde is about to if she hasn’t too and then SFK, Billie or Wombats are the only other chances
If I’m counting the database correctly Kanye entered the countdown already on 15, Lorde 9 and Rufus 10. Not including decade counts.

Milkumana is such a good jam.
I'm glad both their singles made it. They were one of the only things along with Genesis Owusu and Tyler, the Creator I was looking out for.

A bit disappointed that Genesis Owusu wasn't higher. He had a few songs that I think would have been fantastic winners - IMO easily the best hip-hop album to come out of Australia, probably ever.

Surprised acts like The Goon Sax or Hatchie don't get played more on Triple J. Both make some of the better pop music I've heard recently from Australia and abroad, but can't seem to get a look-in. It's a bit sad that it seems like community radio is becoming more of a home for acts like that, even though plenty of them have penetrated international markets at this point.

I'm glad both their singles made it. They were one of the only things along with Genesis Owusu and Tyler, the Creator I was looking out for.

A bit disappointed that Genesis Owusu wasn't higher. He had a few songs that I think would have been fantastic winners - IMO easily the best hip-hop album to come out of Australia, probably ever.

Surprised acts like The Goon Sax or Hatchie don't get played more on Triple J. Both make some of the better pop music I've heard recently from Australia and abroad, but can't seem to get a look-in. It's a bit sad that it seems like community radio is becoming more of a home for acts like that, even though plenty of them have penetrated international markets at this point.
Hatchie is great.....

I haven't checked out The Goon Sax but I like Hatchie. Double J and RRR are the way to go these days for those type of acts, and I've found myself listening to them a s**t load more in the last 5 years than JJJ.

Hatchie is great.....
She's been a stalwart of the Brisbane music scene for the better part of a decade now. Recommend checking out her work with Babaganouj if you haven't.

I haven't checked out The Goon Sax but I like Hatchie. Double J and RRR are the way to go these days for those type of acts, and I've found myself listening to them a sh*t load more in the last 5 years than JJJ.
There was some hype surrounding them early on because one of the members is the son of Robbie Forster of The Go-Betweens. But I don't think there was much nepotism involved, and even if there was their music has been good enough to justify it. I suppose maybe The Go-Betweens were a bit early for Triple J (at least in terms of the Hottest 100) so that might have limited how far any associated hype got them JJJ.

It's just strange to me that they're an indie pop band on a big international label (Matador), and sell-out venues in Europe but can't crack the Hottest 100, or even get much, if any, airtime on Triple J.

It'd be less annoying if they hadn't promoted dogshit posers like Dune Rats and Sticky Fingers (or at least until the evidence of them being awful humans that the majority of people involved in the Australian music scene knew about became unignorable) for years.

There was some hype surrounding them early on because one of the members is the son of Robbie Forster of The Go-Betweens. But I don't think there was much nepotism involved, and even if there was their music has been good enough to justify it. I suppose maybe The Go-Betweens were a bit early for Triple J (at least in terms of the Hottest 100) so that might have limited how far any associated hype got them JJJ.

It's just strange to me that they're an indie pop band on a big international label (Matador), and sell-out venues in Europe but can't crack the Hottest 100, or even get much, if any, airtime on Triple J.

It'd be less annoying if they hadn't promoted dogshit posers like Dune Rats and Sticky Fingers (or at least until the evidence of them being awful humans that the majority of people involved in the Australian music scene knew about became unignorable) for years.
I'm a lot more forgiving of mediocre/s**t music if the creators are decent people. For instance, I find Vance Joy's music pretty bland for the most part but he comes across as a pretty genuine, down-to-earth guy. Sticky Fingers, on the other hand, are outright campaigners which just makes their shitty music even worse knowing the type of people they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back