triple j Hottest 100 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, since only listening to Double J and my Spotify discover weekly playlist (and other hardcore bands I know) - I know hardly any of this years crop

I'd just vote for every song in Turnstiles new album GLOW ON

Man this is an album...

Blackout sounds just like Children Collide - Social Currency which is an absolute banger.

here's my first crack at guessing the countdown, will keep tabs on social media and Warm Tunas and adjust, posting another count in the New Year once more data comes through, will be an interesting one as despite it not collecting as many votes so far I can't look past STAY as the winner, even though I would LOVE if Elephant was to win. basically whatever stops the Disney popstar from winning it will make me happy, a few years ago there would've been riots over Olivia Rodrigo and her tweenie pop crap getting played on the station :eek:

1. The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber - STAY
2. The Wiggles - Elephant {Like a Version}
3. Olivia Rodrigo - good 4 u
4. Gang of Youths - the angel of 8th avenue
5. Spacey Jane - Lots of Nothing
6. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
7. Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow - INDUSTRY BABY
8. Sam Fender - Seventeen Going Under
9. Doja Cat - Kiss Me More (ft. SZA)
10. RUFUS DU SOL - Alive
11. The Kid LAROI - WITHOUT YOU
12. Amyl and The Sniffers - Hertz
13. Lime Cordiale & Idris Elba - Apple Crumble
14. Genesis Owusu - Gold Chains
15. The Jungle Giants - Love Signs
16. Spacey Jane - Lunchtime
17. Glass Animals - I Don't Wanna Talk (I Just Wanna Dance)
18. Olivia Rodrigo - drivers license
19. RUFUS DU SOL - On My Knees
20. Ball Park Music - Sunscreen
21. Lorde - Solar Power
22. Ocean Alley - Touch Back Down
23. Lil Nas X - MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)
24. Wet Leg - Chaise Lounge
25. Sly Withers - Clarkson
26. DOPE LEMON - Rose Pink Cadillac
27. Bring Me the Horizon - Die4u
28. Halsey - I'm Not A Woman, I'm A God
29. Gang of Youths - the man himself
30. Bruno Mars & Anderson .Paak (Silk Sonic) - Leave the Door Open
31. Middle Kids - Stacking Chairs
32. Telenova - Bones
33. SZA - Good Days
34. King Stingray - Milkumana
35. The Wombats - If You Ever Leave, I'm Coming With You
36. The Amity Affliction - Like Love
37. Vance Joy - Missing Piece
38. Peach PRC - Josh
39. bbno$ - edamame (ft. Rich Brian)
40. Slowly Slowly - Blueprint
41. Peking Duck - Chemicals
42. Jungle - Keep Moving
43. Polish Club - Stop For a Minute
44. Teenage Joans - Wine
45. Lizzo - Rumours (ft. Cardi B)
46. CHVRCHES - How Not to Drown (ft. Robert Smith)
47. Lorde - Mood Ring
48. Gretta Ray - Cherish
49. Tyne-James Organ - Sunday Suit
50. Dune Rats - UP
51. serotonin - girl in red
52. Ruel - It Ain't Over Til It's Over {Like a Version}
53. Olivia Rodrigo - brutal
54. The Rions - Night Light
55. The Weeknd - Take My Breath
56. Middle Kids - Questions
57. RUFUS DU SOL - Next to Me
58. Lil Nas X - THATS WHAT I WANT
59. Kanye West - Jail
60. Client Liaison - House of Holy
61. Lorde - Stoned at the Nail Salon
62. Wolf Alice - How Can I Make it Ok?
63. Methyl Ethyl - Neon Cheap
64. Machine Gun Kelly - love race (ft. Kellin Quinn)
65. Ruby Fields - Breakfast
66. Nothing But Thieves - Futureproof
67. Beddy Rays - Week on Repeat
68. Northlane - Clockwork
69. The Rubens - Masterpiece
70. Japanese Breakfast - Be Sweet
71. G-Flip - Queen (ft. mxmtoon)
72. Holy Holy - How You Been
73. The Buoys - Lie to Me Again
74. Ruel - Too Many Feelings
75. Wet Leg - Wet Dream
76. The Terry's - Our Paradise
77. Teen Jesus & The Jean Teasers - AHHHH!
78. Ziggy Ramo - Little Things (ft. Paul Kelly)
79. Wolf Alice - The Last Man on Earth
80. Baker Boy - My Mind (ft. G-Flip)
81. Doja Cat - Get Into It (Yuh)
82. Skegss - Valhalla
83. What So Not - The Change (ft. DMA's)
84. J. Cole - my.life (ft. 21 Savage & Morray)
85. Barkaa - King Brown
86. Charli XCX - Good Ones
87. Dom Dolla - Strangers (ft. Mansionair)
88. The Avalanches - The Divine Cord (ft. MGMT/Johnny Marr)
89. WAAX - Most Hated Girl
90. Amyl and The Sniffers - Guided by Angels
91. Beddy Rays - Wait a While
92. Lana del Rey - Chemtrails Over the Country Club
93. The Knocks - R U High (ft. Mallrat)
94. The Wombats - Method to the Madness
95. DZ Deathrays - Make Yourself Mad
96. Mashd N Kutcher - On My Mind
97. Sam Fender - Get You Down
98. Sly Withers - Breakfast
99. DMA's - We Are Midnight
100. Triple One - Time After Time {Like a Version}

1. The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber - STAY
2. The Wiggles - Elephant {Like a Version}
3. Olivia Rodrigo - good 4 u
Yeah I can't imagine that a decade ago. Biebs, Rodrigo, Wiggles, and 17yo Kid Laroi when released. It's all a bit kindie sandbox isn't it. Not the worst songs ever to possibly contend, I get it, but together that bunch does give off a certain vibe.

Yeah I can't imagine that a decade ago. Biebs, Rodrigo, Wiggles, and 17yo Kid Laroi when released. It's all a bit kindie sandbox isn't it. Not the worst songs ever to possibly contend, I get it, but together that bunch does give off a certain vibe.

yeah, its a true pop influenced countdown now, there's always been one or two that would do well most years however the last couple of years that influence has increased ten fold

Rodrigo might be a teen TV star, but reckon she has a place on Triple J. A bit of Courtney Love about her, it's definitely poppy but with an indie/grungey element. I was surprised by just how good that album was. I don't really have time for Bieber and voting for the Wiggles is a joke, but would be happy with either of Good 4 U or Drivers License in the top 5.

I haven't really listened to enough to make any kind of considered judgement but would be happy with any of the new singles from bands I already like ranking highly (Gang of Youths, Glass Animals, Spacey Jane, Methyl Ethel, Holy Holy etc).

Rodrigo might be a teen TV star, but reckon she has a place on Triple J. A bit of Courtney Love about her, it's definitely poppy but with an indie/grungey element. I was surprised by just how good that album was. I don't really have time for Bieber and voting for the Wiggles is a joke, but would be happy with either of Good 4 U or Drivers License in the top 5.

I haven't really listened to enough to make any kind of considered judgement but would be happy with any of the new singles from bands I already like ranking highly (Gang of Youths, Glass Animals, Spacey Jane, Methyl Ethel, Holy Holy etc).

yeah I can't agree with that, I hate that album and the only good thing to come from it was Our Last Night's cover of Good 4 U haha. if she's fair play then so is Bieber and also Taylor Swift imo.

This is mine which proves I am now well outside of the target demographic, particularly when looking at the odds and the top 2 favourites are Justin Bieber and The Wiggles :oops:

H100-2021.jpg

I think the main issue with Rodrigo as opposed to Kid Laroi, Billie Eilish etc is that by the time she came into the music industry she already didn't need the help. She was an established Disney star. Kid Laroi started as an indigenous high schooler with a tough family background, Billie Eilish started out as a 14 year old making music with her brother in her bedroom and uploading it to Soundcloud.

I don't really mind JJJ continuing to support an artist who came from humble beginnings but became a star after they started getting airplay. I think that's a different situation to them jumping on a Disney star's bandwagon. If Olivia Rodrigo is fair game, then pretty much anyone is. That's not a comment on her music necessarily, music is subjective and I'm not here to say her music is better or worse than anyone else's. It's just a comment on her background.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the main issue with Rodrigo as opposed to Kid Laroi, Billie Eilish etc is that by the time she came into the music industry she already didn't need the help. She was an established Disney star. Kid Laroi started as an indigenous high schooler with a tough family background, Billie Eilish started out as a 14 year old making music with her brother in her bedroom and uploading it to Soundcloud.

I don't really mind JJJ continuing to support an artist who came from humble beginnings but became a star after they started getting airplay. I think that's a different situation to them jumping on a Disney star's bandwagon. If Olivia Rodrigo is fair game, then pretty much anyone is. That's not a comment on her music necessarily, music is subjective and I'm not here to say her music is better or worse than anyone else's. It's just a comment on her background.

perfectly said, couldn't have worded it any better myself

Is this like Jacob Butler auditioning for Australian Idol when he not only appeared on The X-Factor in about 2004 but did well on it?

Outside of its remit of supporting Australian artists, I don’t think assessing which international artists need ‘the most help’ should come into it at all. If the music fits it’s playlist, it should get a run. Foo Fighters didn’t need JJJ’s help to become famous after Nirvana but the music had its place. Billie Eilish didn’t need JJJ’s help to become famous, she’s already a global star.

That all said, you could argue Rodrigo needed the support too. She’s a Disney star that wrote an expletive-ridden grungey pop album. There was every chance mainstream stations would ignore the album because of the swearing and independent stations would ignore her because of her reputation. Songs like Brutal and Good4U are indie pop punk, not really that different to something like Hole or Spiderbait with its pop hooks, both of which were popular on JJJ. They are not out of place.

Outside of its remit of supporting Australian artists, I don’t think assessing which international artists need ‘the most help’ should come into it at all. If the music fits it’s playlist, it should get a run. Foo Fighters didn’t need JJJ’s help to become famous after Nirvana but the music had its place. Billie Eilish didn’t need JJJ’s help to become famous, she’s already a global star.

That all said, you could argue Rodrigo needed the support too. She’s a Disney star that wrote an expletive-ridden grungey pop album. There was every chance mainstream stations would ignore the album because of the swearing and independent stations would ignore her because of her reputation. Songs like Brutal and Good4U are indie pop punk, not really that different to something like Hole or Spiderbait with its pop hooks, both of which were popular on JJJ. They are not out of place.

I just can't get on board with this summarisation tbh, not only was she already an established name with a huge following and extremely marketable, but even IF Disney had risked dumping her there is not a chance another major label wouldn't have snapped her up instantly and pushed the album to the high heavens. Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Rhianna, Mariah Carey have all sworn in certain songs down the years and it hasn't affected their standing or reputation one bit. to claim brutal and good 4 u are indie pop punk is a huge reach, I understand everyone has their own opinions but that is one i can't imagine would have many behind

ALSO, without triple j the Foo Fighters may never have broken out like they did in Aus, the j's championed them for YEARS before they really hit the big time out here, their success in grunge/alt rock fuelled turn of the century America came quicker than it did out here and without that support from the j's who knows how long it would've taken a station like Triple M to bother playing them...

I just can't get on board with this summarisation tbh, not only was she already an established name with a huge following and extremely marketable, but even IF Disney had risked dumping her there is not a chance another major label wouldn't have snapped her up instantly and pushed the album to the high heavens. Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Rhianna, Mariah Carey have all sworn in certain songs down the years and it hasn't affected their standing or reputation one bit. to claim brutal and good 4 u are indie pop punk is a huge reach, I understand everyone has their own opinions but that is one i can't imagine would have many behind

ALSO, without triple j the Foo Fighters may never have broken out like they did in Aus, the j's championed them for YEARS before they really hit the big time out here, their success in grunge/alt rock fuelled turn of the century America came quicker than it did out here and without that support from the j's who knows how long it would've taken a station like Triple M to bother playing them...
Wasn’t suggesting Disney would dump her but an album with all the major singles not radio friendly could easily have been ignored by mainstream stations and indie stations could have ignored the ‘Disney teen star’, leaving her as just another TV child star that failed to make the transition to music star.

But again, I don’t think it should be relevant when it comes to international acts. If JJJ think it fits their playlist, they should play it. And if it’s good, people should vote for it. I reckon it’s got more pop punk credibility than a lot of local acts that the Js will get behind.

so voting closes in less than 48 hours and according to Warm Tunas, the Wiggles have the lead with Gang of Youths in second, Kid LAROI/Beebz third, the Disney popstar fourth and Spacey Jane in fifth.

what does everyone think the final top 5 or 10 will look like? I personally still feel STAY will win, then Elephant second, GOY third, OR fourth and Spacey fifth

so voting closes in less than 48 hours and according to Warm Tunas, the Wiggles have the lead with Gang of Youths in second, Kid LAROI/Beebz third, the Disney popstar fourth and Spacey Jane in fifth.

what does everyone think the final top 5 or 10 will look like? I personally still feel STAY will win, then Elephant second, GOY third, OR fourth and Spacey fifth
Think it will be GoY personally. Warm Tunas typically over estimates the performance of rock and indie, but what also usually happens is that rock/indie start strong on WT then trail off a bit as the voting period goes on. GoY however have been slowly extending their lead over Stay the whole time. I think they'll pinch it.

It suprises me to see Gang Of Youths and BMTH so high as both of those songs I feel are some of the weakest either act has done, almost there on their name more than song quality imo

It suprises me to see Gang Of Youths and BMTH so high as both of those songs I feel are some of the weakest either act has done, almost there on their name more than song quality imo

I agree on GoY and personally prefer The Man Himself to 8th Ave, but they are one of the quintessential triple j bands that always get votes regardless of what they put out (another example this year is the rubbish Lime Cordiale and Idris Elba have produced, yet they're getting plenty of votes) and other bands like Ocean Alley etc all fall into that category.

BMTH are likely getting so many votes as its their only eligible song this year whereas last year they had better stuff out but it was split between Obey, Parasite Eve, Teardrops and Kingslayer.

As of the moment I’ll say in order, Wiggles, Laroi, Eillish, Jane, Youth, Cordiale, Rufus (Knees), Cat, Rodrigo, Rufus (Alive) for my Top 10. Might change slightly before my final prediction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back