triple j Hottest 100 2021

Was it the teenage girls of 2001 who voted Alien Ant Farm into the top 10 or did you all just have sh*t taste in music at the time?
Stay is a better song than anything Alex ****ing Lloyd has ever released.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Butterfly is an awful song from an awful genre. It's not regarded as one of the worst songs of all time for nothing. Give me teen pop over that any day.
I listened to the 2001 Hottest 100 on Spotify today (because I didn't want to listen to presenters all day on Double J) and it was lots of fun, but there was a fair amount of shite too. Butterfly was one of I think only 3 songs I skipped though. Truly atrocious.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
listening to the 2001 countdown today and it’s chock full of quality tracks, craps all over yesterdays haha
Triple J in a nutshell

I don't think the Hottest 100 has really dipped in quality. It's become less distinctly different from what you would hear on commercial radio, but I think the quantity of s**t songs in each count has remained relatively consistent throughout it's history.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I don't think the Hottest 100 has really dipped in quality. It's become less distinctly different from what you would hear on commercial radio, but I think the quantity of sh*t songs in each count has remained relatively consistent throughout it's history.

The quality of the top 15-20 has diminished starkly since about 2015, which is when I stopped listening to the naff they play now

Heatwaves was the last good number 1 in the last 10 years

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Cool story dawg.

Did you vote for Good Charlotte that year too?

lmao it’s hilarious how salty you are getting over me personally preferring Butterfly to teen pop, everyone has their own preferences and negative I did not, although I prefer them to OR and Doja too 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The overall quality and top end quality has dipped significantly IMO.

Sure there used to be quite a few shitty songs in any countdown from 20 years back, but there also used to be 30-40 tracks that were great alternative songs.

These days even the best songs in the count are kind of middling and bland and don’t get out of 2nd gear. A lot of template indie pop.

BuddysBiggestFan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The overall quality and top end quality has dipped significantly IMO.

Sure there used to be quite a few shitty songs in any countdown from 20 years back, but there also used to be 30-40 tracks that were great alternative songs.

These days even the best songs in the count are kind of middling and bland and don’t get out of 2nd gear. A lot of template indie pop.
Simple, disposable music.

Sam Fender on the other hand, what a tune.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
lmao it’s hilarious how salty you are getting over me personally preferring Butterfly to teen pop, everyone has their own preferences and negative I did not, although I prefer them to OR and Doja too 🤷🏼‍♂️
Not salty - I don't think I had listened to a Doja Cat or Rodrigo song before Saturday. I too don't really see the appeal. I just find it funny when people s**t on today's JJJ because it doesn't play any of the objectively terrible alt-rock it did 20 years ago. It always happens in these threads.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I didn't get to listen to it on the day as I was out all day, but listened to the top 20 on the way in to work. My biggest takeaway is 'what the fcuk is a Tom Cardy?'. Truly horrendous gimmick songs, at least something like Get on the Beers had some repeat listening appeal. Still maintain Elephant is perhaps the most embarrassing number 1, possibly ever, should have been in the bottom 50 at best, shame on JJJ for pushing it. Reckon that's the first time I heard Stay, couldn't tell you a single lyric or even hum its tune now. Olivia Rodrigo was he least of its problems, catchy pop punk. Spacey Jane, Gang of Youths good, Happier Than Ever starts off truly dire but at least ends well. Some good songs start showing up with a bit more regularity after 15.

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Not salty - I don't think I had listened to a Doja Cat or Rodrigo song before Saturday. I too don't really see the appeal. I just find it funny when people sh*t on today's JJJ because it doesn't play any of the objectively terrible alt-rock it did 20 years ago. It always happens in these threads.

it’s just part of the cycle these days, we all have a sook over their music direction one way or another, because we remember when it was better but we still listen, it’s almost like an addiction you just can’t quite kick haha

agreed on Tom Cardy though, he’s just not funny and those two songs were ear drum bleed worthy

and that TikTok remix of Land Down Under, my god 😷

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
arsehole won the first ever hottest 100 in 1993.

gimmick songs have long been a mainstay of the hottest 100.
I will say, arsehole's a pretty decent song, so is Pick of Destiny by Tenacious D, even Get on the Beers last year. The two Tom Cardy songs were neither mucially good or lyrically funny.

Back