triple j Hottest 100 2021

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I didn't get to listen to it on the day as I was out all day, but listened to the top 20 on the way in to work. My biggest takeaway is 'what the fcuk is a Tom Cardy?'. Truly horrendous gimmick songs, at least something like Get on the Beers had some repeat listening appeal. Still maintain Elephant is perhaps the most embarrassing number 1, possibly ever, should have been in the bottom 50 at best, shame on JJJ for pushing it. Reckon that's the first time I heard Stay, couldn't tell you a single lyric or even hum its tune now. Olivia Rodrigo was he least of its problems, catchy pop punk. Spacey Jane, Gang of Youths good, Happier Than Ever starts off truly dire but at least ends well. Some good songs start showing up with a bit more regularity after 15.

Fairly accurate assessment here (though I'll still disagree on Wiggles, purely because it prevented that awful auto tune fest from winning).

I know people say 'switch to Double J' but the issue isn't older artists that can't crack into the 100 anymore. The issue is great newer artists that have regular triple J rotation missing out (NBT, Royal Blood, The Vanns, Beddy Rays, Polish Club, Teen Jesus etc). Largely these aren't Double J bands. They just can't get a spot because there's about 20 slots taken up by Cardi B, Bieber, Doja Cat, Rodrigo, Kayne and Eilish. Not to mention that Tom Cardy shite.

Though note I do have plenty of respect for Kayne and Eilish, so not bagging them out. Even if Ye is a tool and Donda was trash.

Don't even get me started on Abbie Chatfield and Certified Child Groomer Boy beating NBT, Royal Blood and Unison by GoY.

I guess the ease with which voting is done these days, combined with the spread of social media, means there's a lot of 'blow ins' - people that vote because the artist told them to, but never actually listen to JJJ themselves.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
i think if you're going to run and engage in a yearly music poll based on votes from the public, it goes without saying that it will eventually disappoint you.
i haven't really listened to jj/jjj since pre-2000, the alternative bent not my cup of tea back then despite being firmly in the target demographic.

is 2012 another gimmick song that everyone forgot about?

The quality rock/pop music has mostly just been replaced by quality hip-hop/r&b. A lot of the rock songs that are remembered favourably from older counts are just as s**t as plenty of the more 'commercial' music that makes it IMHO.

There was s**t all hip-hop in older counts that were probably 90% white, but people seem to avoid mentioning that when looking back favourably on the so-called 'alternative' counts of years past.

People even had a sook when Kendrick Lamar's 'HUMBLE' won. Far from my favourite Kendrick song, but one of the better winners in Hottest 100 history.

There was sh*t all hip-hop in older counts that were probably 90% white, but people seem to avoid mentioning that when looking back favourably on the so-called 'alternative' counts of years past.

People even had a sook when Kendrick Lamar's 'HUMBLE' won. Far from my favourite Kendrick song, but one of the better winners in Hottest 100 history.
Same with women. People were raving about the 2001 countdown yesterday, which had 8 female led songs.

i think if you're going to run and engage in a yearly music poll based on votes from the public, it goes without saying that it will eventually disappoint you.
i haven't really listened to jj/jjj since pre-2000, the alternative bent not my cup of tea back then despite being firmly in the target demographic.

is 2012 another gimmick song that everyone forgot about?
Thrift Shop? Pretty much. A novelty song that got released and became huge at the right time for people to vote for it. By the time the countdown came, everyone was sick of it, identical to the Pretty Fly situation.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thrift Shop? Pretty much. A novelty song that got released and became huge at the right time for people to vote for it. By the time the countdown came, everyone was sick of it, identical to the Pretty Fly situation.

I think Thrift Shop is definitely my least favourite winner of all time. Just...awful.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm being pedantic here, but I looked it up and Pretty Fly was released in early November, but Thrift Shop was released mid-August (which is significantly earlier). It might not go against your argument, but I just thought it was interesting.

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat

Vs

yeah i'll take the 12 year girl pop thanks

good for you bud, I’ll still take AAF any day over that nonsense 🤙🏻

Same with women. People were raving about the 2001 countdown yesterday, which had 8 female led songs.

haha not this nonsensical argument again, the music that was voted for was what was peoples favourites at that time, the majority of female acts back then were POP which the station did NOT play as they were sticking to the “alternative” mantra, it is such a intended wind up stat to mention

same goes for the white vs colour comment, and btw I didn’t complain when HUMBLE won I enjoy that track still to this day and he deserved the win, especially after the robbery of 2015

Fairly accurate assessment here (though I'll still disagree on Wiggles, purely because it prevented that awful auto tune fest from winning).

I know people say 'switch to Double J' but the issue isn't older artists that can't crack into the 100 anymore. The issue is great newer artists that have regular triple J rotation missing out (NBT, Royal Blood, The Vanns, Beddy Rays, Polish Club, Teen Jesus etc). Largely these aren't Double J bands. They just can't get a spot because there's about 20 slots taken up by Cardi B, Bieber, Doja Cat, Rodrigo, Kayne and Eilish. Not to mention that Tom Cardy sh*te.

Though note I do have plenty of respect for Kayne and Eilish, so not bagging them out. Even if Ye is a tool and Donda was trash.

Don't even get me started on Abbie Chatfield and Certified Child Groomer Boy beating NBT, Royal Blood and Unison by GoY.

I guess the ease with which voting is done these days, combined with the spread of social media, means there's a lot of 'blow ins' - people that vote because the artist told them to, but never actually listen to JJJ themselves.
THIS, SO MUCH THIS, couldn’t have worded it any better myself

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
There was sh*t all hip-hop in older counts that were probably 90% white, but people seem to avoid mentioning that when looking back favourably on the so-called 'alternative' counts of years past.

I'm just not that into rap and hip hop, but Humble is terrible. Listened to it for the first time in ages while listening to the Hottest 100 of the 2010s and it is dire. It was a square up for the (very good) King Kunta getting robbed earlier. Gang of Youths or Lorde should have taken out that count.

I'm just not that into rap and hip hop, but Humble is terrible. Listened to it for the first time in ages while listening to the Hottest 100 of the 2010s and it is dire. It was a square up for the (very good) King Kunta getting robbed earlier. Gang of Youths or Lorde should have taken out that count.
Personally disagree. Although 'HUMBLE' isn't one of Kendrick's best songs, it was one of the best in that count, and hip-hop winning the count was long overdue.

It's fine not liking a genre, but I think it's where lots of people are missing the mark. Apparently the count was more alternative 20 years ago when women and POC were hardly represented. I don't think coounts in which the majority are white rock bands are any more 'alternative' than what we hear today.

As I said earlier, I think it's less distinctly different to commercial radio these days, but there's more variety than there was in older counts.

I'm being pedantic here, but I looked it up and Pretty Fly was released in early November, but Thrift Shop was released mid-August (which is significantly earlier). It might not go against your argument, but I just thought it was interesting.
It was released earlier but it didn't really take off in terms of popularity until November/December.

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Personally disagree. Although 'HUMBLE' isn't one of Kendrick's best songs, it was one of the best in that count, and hip-hop winning the count was long overdue.

It's fine not liking a genre, but I think it's where lots of people are missing the mark. Apparently the count was more alternative 20 years ago when women and POC were hardly represented. I don't think coounts in which the majority are white rock bands are any more 'alternative' than what we hear today.

As I said earlier, I think it's less distinctly different to commercial radio these days, but there's more variety than there was in older counts.

the count WAS more alternative because the main styles of music played back then was alternative, it’s got nothing to do with “it was better coz there was more white guy rock bands” or whatever daft pandering PC babble you want to phrase it as

the count is more commercial because they have become another pop station with a playlist no dissimilar to Nova/2Day FM/Fox/Kiss etc

the count WAS more alternative because the main styles of music played back then was alternative, it’s got nothing to do with “it was better coz there was more white guy rock bands” or whatever daft pandering PC babble you want to phrase it as

the count is more commercial because they have become another pop station with a playlist no dissimilar to Nova/2Day FM/Fox/Kiss etc
I think it's more commercial because it's become more popular and so you'll get people voting who will only listen to triple j on the day.

The list and the most played artists don't line up real well.

'Alternative' in this context is the laziest genre descriptor ever.

For the most part 'alternative' just means 4 white dudes playing guitar-based rock music. It's got nothing to do with political correctness, it's just a so-called genre of music that is extremely easy to pigeonhole despite being called 'alternative'.

It's alternative in the same way that drill hip-hop is alternative to trap.

And yet he could barely get a look in either, which bloody disappointing.
Yep, a damn shame. Some of the more exciting music to come out of Australia in quite a while IMO. But I doubt he gets a look-in at all 20 years ago.

And we probably have artists like Kanye and Kendrick to thank for the fact that he does nowadays. For a long-time virtually the only hip-hop we'd have heard was 'beers n barbecues' rap.

Neither are in my favourite artists (particularly Kanye considering all the baggage associated with him these days), but not sure someone like Genesis Owusu would be as big here without them doing so well in past Hottest 100s.

Although I've never been overly fond of it, the count has changed and progressed over time - as it should. It would suck even more if the genre spread was the exact same as it was 20 years ago.

BuddysBiggestFan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep, a damn shame. Some of the more exciting music to come out of Australia in quite a while IMO. But I doubt he gets a look-in at all 20 years ago.

And we probably have artists like Kanye and Kendrick to thank for the fact that he does nowadays. For a long-time virtually the only hip-hop we'd have heard was 'beers n barbecues' rap.

Neither are in my favourite artists (particularly Kanye considering all the baggage associated with him these days), but not sure someone like Genesis Owusu would be as big here without them doing so well in past Hottest 100s.

Although I've never been overly fond of it, the count has changed and progressed over time - as it should. It would suck even more if the genre spread was the exact same as it was 20 years ago.
Give us a spell please.

Rap in the 80s and 90s s**t all over the crap spewed up today.

Kanye the game changer ******* hell

Give us a spell please.

Rap in the 80s and 90s sh*t all over the crap spewed up today.

Kanye the game changer ******* hell
Hahaha go yell at some clouds old man

I don't even like Kanye anymore, but your right to comment on modern music should be revoked if you don't think Kanye's a game changer.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Popular genres come and go, in the '90s it was alternative rock, for a while there it seemed like every second song was rap or hip hop or grime, now there's a bit more pop. I don't mind the occasional rap or hip hop, as I said, King Kunta was excellent and would have made a good number 1, I really didn't find much to like in Humble, but that's just, like, my opinion, man :)

Back