triple j Hottest 100 2021

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Lil Nas X (though I'm not huge on his music) is another example far more 'alt' than those alternative rock bands from 20 years ago.
I think we're conflating alternative with diversity here. Alternative rock is simply a descriptor of the music, alternative from popular rock of the time. A diverse artist performing the popular music at the time doesn't really count as alternative. A white middle aged person performing fresh, original music different from the mainstream can be alternative.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Is there a song as good as Pattern Against User or Parabola, to use examples from 2001, in this year’s count?

The Kendrick Lamar songs from 2015 getting a run were great. TPAB was undoubtedly a game changing album which could have had 7-8 songs in the count.

Which tracks in this years list are hard 10’s?

Popular genres come and go, in the '90s it was alternative rock, for a while there it seemed like every second song was rap or hip hop or grime, now there's a bit more pop. I don't mind the occasional rap or hip hop, as I said, King Kunta was excellent and would have made a good number 1, I really didn't find much to like in Humble, but that's just, like, my opinion, man :)
This is the major gripe I have with the complaints though. People complain about it being less alternative than it was 20 years ago, but it isn't. Alternative rock had been one of the dominant genres for the better part of a decade by 2001.

It was only alternative by name, when really it was just predomiantly white guitar music.
I think we're conflating alternative with diversity here. Alternative rock is simply a descriptor of the music, alternative from popular rock of the time. A diverse artist performing the popular music at the time doesn't really count as alternative. A white middle aged person performing fresh, original music different from the mainstream can be alternative.
See above. I think it's one of the worst characterisations of music to ever exist, because not long after alternative rock rose to prominence, bands like Nirvarna and RHCP were amongst the biggest bands in the world.

Lil Nas X is alternative as * in the broader context of hip-hop. Particularly in his marketing. Being openly gay is increasingly common in hip-hop these days, but check out the music video for Industry Baby. If that isn't 'alternative' in the historical context of mainstream hip-hop, I'm not sure what is.

The truly alternative music in the sense that you speak about here gets nowhere near the Hottest 100, and never has. Community radio has always been the home of truly alternative music.

Is there a song as good as Pattern Against User or Parabola, to use examples from 2001, in this year’s count?

The Kendrick Lamar songs from 2015 getting a run were great. TPAB was undoubtedly a game changing album which could have had 7-8 songs in the count.

Which tracks in this years list are hard 10’s?
Personally my favourite tracks from what I know (probably only 20-30% admittedly) were those by Genesis Owusu, Amyl and the Sniffers, Tyler, the Creator, and the Dave track.

I'd listen to the Genesis Owusu and Tyler albums any day over the Tool and ATDI albums, but that's just down to my taste.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Alien Ant Farm cop way too much hate IMO.

As a kid I loved Smooth Criminal, but take away that track and a couple of other cringey singles and they were actually a pretty decent band.

Comfortably sat in that nu-metal era, just didn’t end up becoming a defining band and it petered out pretty quickly for them. Their rhythm section was great though.

Still give Wish a blast from time to time.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Personally my favourite tracks from what I know (probably only 20-30% admittedly) were those by Genesis Owusu, Amyl and the Sniffers, Tyler, the Creator, and the Dave track.

I'd listen to the Genesis Owusu and Tyler albums any day over the Tool and ATDI albums, but that's just down to my taste.
I still haven’t properly given the new TTC LP a proper listen, but his albums - especially since Flower Boy are growers.

Can’t see it reaching the heights of Relationship of Command years later, but you never know.

Forgot to mention King Stingray in that list above.

I had no idea they'd been getting played on Triple J, so was pleasantly surprised to see them in a few people's votes.

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat
'Alternative' in this context is the laziest genre descriptor ever.

For the most part 'alternative' just means 4 white dudes playing guitar-based rock music. It's got nothing to do with political correctness, it's just a so-called genre of music that is extremely easy to pigeonhole despite being called 'alternative'.

It's alternative in the same way that drill hip-hop is alternative to trap.

most of those “4 white dudes playing guitar based rock music” were alt rock/post grunge/punk/indie rock bands which was the main genres on the station back then

And yet he could barely get a look in either, which is bloody disappointing.
I was certain Gold Chains would be a top 50 song and A Song About Fishing had a chance of making the 80-100 range, but as someone said above, the most played artists and album of the year contenders don’t seem to translate to the countdown this year so much

most of those “4 white dudes playing guitar based rock music” were alt rock/post grunge/punk/indie rock bands which was the main genres on the station back then
Which is exactly my point. Triple j isn't necessarily less alternative than it was in 2001. Those genres were a big deal back then. It just plays less of what listeners from that time would enjoy now. And that probably reflects the way music tastes have changed across the age demographic that they're targeting.

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Alien Ant Farm cop way too much hate IMO.

As a kid I loved Smooth Criminal, but take away that track and a couple of other cringey singles and they were actually a pretty decent band.

Comfortably sat in that nu-metal era, just didn’t end up becoming a defining band and it petered out pretty quickly for them. Their rhythm section was great though.

Still give Wish a blast from time to time.

they never really hit the heights again after Smooth Criminal, I remember Movies getting a bit of airplay but that’s about it for them, I still love Smooth Criminal to this day, but I mean I also enjoy Butterfly so 😂

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
they never really hit the heights again after Smooth Criminal, I remember Movies getting a bit of airplay but that’s about it for them, I still love Smooth Criminal to this day, but I mean I also enjoy Butterfly so 😂
That was the single I had in mind.

Think their potential to breakout into the mainstream was pretty limited. They had enough technical ability but not a lot of ability to write a decent song.

Still a major soft spot for them though.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Which is exactly my point. Triple j isn't necessarily less alternative than it was in 2001. Those genres were a big deal back then. It just plays less of what listeners from that time would enjoy now. And that probably reflects the way music tastes have changed across the age demographic that they're targeting.
It would be interesting to do a bit of analysis on that. I can't be bothered doing the whole Hottest 100, but could look at the Top 10 from last year and 2001. What's our metric though? Is it whether or not commercial radio was playing those particular songs?

2001 Top TenOn Commercial Radio?2021 Top TenOn Commercial Radio?
Alex Lloyd - Amazing??The Wiggles - ElephantNo
Something For Kate - MonstersProbably not?The Kid Laroi/Bieber - StayYes
System Of A Down - Chop Suey!NoSpacey Jane - Lots Of NothingNo
Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head AtYesOlivia Rodrigo - good 4 uYes
John Butler Trio - BettermanNoBillie Eilish - Happier Than EverYes
Alien Ant Farm - Smooth CriminalYesGang Of Youths - The Angel Of 8th Ave??
Weezer - Island In The SunNoDoja Cat - Kiss Me More??
The Avalanches - Since I Left You??Lil Nas X - Industry BabyYes
Gorillaz - Clint EastwoodYesRufus Du Sol - On My Knees??
Cake - Short Skirt/Long JacketYesLil Nas X - MONTERO (Call My By My Name)Yes

Someone help me fill in the blanks (or correct me where I'm wrong).

It would be interesting to do a bit of analysis on that. I can't be bothered doing the whole Hottest 100, but could look at the Top 10 from last year and 2001. What's our metric though? Is it whether or not commercial radio was playing those particular songs?

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth CriminalYesGang Of Youths - The Angel Of 8th Ave??
Weezer - Island In The SunNoDoja Cat - Kiss Me More??
The Avalanches - Since I Left You??Lil Nas X - Industry BabyYes
Gorillaz - Clint EastwoodYesRufus Du Sol - On My Knees??

Someone help me fill in the blanks (or correct me where I'm wrong).
RUFUS Du Sol = no
Avalanches = no

I remember Island in the Sun from a So Fresh CD so that must mean it had some commercial play?

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Alien Ant Farm - Smooth CriminalYesGang Of Youths - The Angel Of 8th AveYes
Weezer - Island In The SunYesDoja Cat - Kiss Me More??
The Avalanches - Since I Left YouNoLil Nas X - Industry BabyYes
Gorillaz - Clint EastwoodYesRufus Du Sol - On My KneesNo

So 2001 has 5 definites and a couple of maybes
And 2021 has 6 definites and one maybe

That's not a huge difference. Does someone wanna do 11-20?

I only heard a week worth of commercial radio in November last year. From what I heard, I think it'd be a safe bet to rule out Rufus and Gang of Youths, and maybe even Lil Nas X and Doja Cat (don't recall hearing any - seems commercial stations have gravitated more towards r&b and emo rap). I heard a ridiculous amount of Kid Laroi.

Something For Kate were also on So Fresh, I think maybe even with that track, so they're probably a yes.

Edit: I'm mistaken re: Doja Cat and Lil Nas X. No GOYs though.

I only heard a week worth of commercial radio in November last year. From what I heard, I think it'd be a safe bet to rule out Rufus and Gang of Youths, and maybe even Lil Nas X and Doja Cat (don't recall hearing any - seems commercial stations have gravitated more towards r&b and emo rap). I heard a ridiculous amount of Kid Laroi.

Something For Kate were also on So Fresh, I think maybe even with that track, so they're probably a yes.
Nah Doja and Lil Nas X get played on commercial radio, Lil Nas X in particular. GoY don't get played at all, which is a shame because they'd add some nice variety.

And Alex Lloyd made it onto an ad for the Ford Territory - if that's not commercial baby I don't know what is.

Anyway I think the gist is that nobody's childhood was actually alternative as they hoped it was and we're all pretty basic when it boils down to it. Sorry to break it to everyone :)

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It'd be interesting to know if some of those tracks only got played on commercial radio (and on So Fresh CDs etc) after they placed in the Hottest 100. I mean, how the hell are we gonna go back and find out? But my gut instinct tells me that some of them wouldn't have been on the radar before the voting period.

Anyway I think the gist is that nobody's childhood was actually alternative as they hoped it was and we're all pretty basic when it boils down to it. Sorry to break it to everyone :)

Haha. "We're All Basic Bitches After All" is going to be the next song I write.

MMM doesn't count. I've heard Royal Blood on MMM.
How would they find the time when promoting these up and coming acts?

Ironically, Triple M are playing the s**t out of the 'alternative rock' music people have been longing for.

Back