Society/Culture Triple M filling the Triple J Australia Day hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Not "yay eugenics" just pointing out an inaccuracy. Diamond has made an incorrect assumption here, what about murnong, native millet and kangaroo grass?
The fundamental problem with Australia is lack of large, silty river systems.

Wow, maybe King Brown isn't even from Australia with claims like that (or the claim last page that it's somehow hard to work out how the indigenous "disappeared" from Tasmania).
Not "yay eugenics" just pointing out an inaccuracy. Diamond has made an incorrect assumption here, what about murnong, native millet and kangaroo grass?
My apologies, I was giving an example. Not Diamond giving the example. Macadamia was the one I recall from the book, but as I directly quoted him, Diamond says there are "few domesticable native plant species". He gives a plural.

The impact of beasts of burden are how they make farming efficient. Growing, havesting and milling flour is a large process. The indigenous did it by hand. Beasts of burden make that process doable on a large scale. Being able to domesticate those animals is key, and it's not easy. Horses could be domesticated and of course over the thousands of years our domestic animals have become more and more domicile, but then you look at Zebras - no success domesticating them. Farming Kangaroos uses the identical process the indigenous used, except now we have engines and guns to catch them quicker and shoot them from further.

I don't believe we've turned native plants into a commercial product yet on any scale (except Macadamia). A quick Google shows a guy last year ran a crowdsourcing fund to try and prove it's possible. He of course won't be restricting himself to the tech they had only available on Aus.

I don't believe we've turned native plants into a commercial product yet on any scale (except Macadamia). A quick Google shows a guy last year ran a crowdsourcing fund to try and prove it's possible. He of course won't be restricting himself to the tech they had only available on Aus.
You're taking the piss now right? That or your google fu is atrocious. Mass export, sure, "any scale" come on now.

Also the native grain crops don't require pesticides or fertilizer and are perennial so you don't have to plough the field every season. If there was ever a you don't need no domesticated animals to farm this crop these are it.

Native food's biggest issue at the moment is lack of producers for export volumes.

You're taking the piss now right? That or your google fu is atrocious. Mass export, sure, "any scale" come on now.
Huh? "Any scale" of course doesn't literally mean "any scale". I already mentioned the guy trying to prove it could be done via the CrowdSourcing campaign. So it would seem you are "taking the piss" if you are pretending to take that literally in isolation. Why the strong reaction?

I said "into a commercial product yet on any scale". Like 'economy of scale', the implication is that a large volume makes it more economical. Given you go on to say "Native food's biggest issue at the moment is lack of producers for export volume", I think we are actually agreeing on that. But where you say "export volume", are you suggesting it is being used on a large scale within Australia? I know there are indigenous-orientated food companies around, like with similar stationary initiatives, that are making inroads particularly where companies or Govt agencies are looking to encourage that business. Remember, the context of this conversation (to echo your 'someone is wrong on the internet' comment that King Brown is trying to pretend is a win for him) is whether such products could support a large agricultural-based community (keeping the roos out a whole 'nother issue).

Also, domesticated animals are used for more than just ploughing. As I said: "Growing, harvesting and milling flour is a large process."

There were no beasts of burden in Central America or any domesticable animal species.

They still built pyramids.

Last edited:
Huh? "Any scale" of course doesn't literally mean "any scale". I already mentioned the guy trying to prove it could be done via the CrowdSourcing campaign. So it would seem you are "taking the piss" if you are pretending to take that literally in isolation. Why the strong reaction?

I said "into a commercial product yet on any scale". Like 'economy of scale', the implication is that a large volume makes it more economical. Given you go on to say "Native food's biggest issue at the moment is lack of producers for export volume", I think we are actually agreeing on that. But where you say "export volume", are you suggesting it is being used on a large scale within Australia? I know there are indigenous-orientated food companies around, like with similar stationary initiatives, that are making inroads particularly where companies or Govt agencies are looking to encourage that business. Remember, the context of this conversation (to echo your 'someone is wrong on the internet' comment that King Brown is trying to pretend is a win for him) is whether such products could support a large agricultural-based community (keeping the roos out a whole 'nother issue).

Also, domesticated animals are used for more than just ploughing. As I said: "Growing, harvesting and milling flour is a large process."
Eh I think it could be done, water wheel to turn large mills stones, after all the fish traps show a thorough understanding of river hydrology ;) . Plenty of grains are still harvested by hand. I guess it depends on your definition of large.

Eh I think it could be done, water wheel to turn large mills stones, after all the fish traps show a thorough understanding of river hydrology ;) . Plenty of grains are still harvested by hand. I guess it depends on your definition of large.
Well, feel free to give it a crack. Or give money to the guy who is gonna try it. We can raincheck it for a few years and see how he's doing, but Organic is popular enough to make a good business off the back of your pesticide-free claims, so maybe you don't want to miss that opportunity. You can build roo-proof fences too. I'd say avoid the water-wheel idea, though. Things in Aus can be a bit flood-or-famine.

Food is a giant industry and has been a giant concern for humans since before there were 'humans'. Such forces mean that there isn't a lot that hasn't been tried before, but of course technology is opening up new avenues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only purpose of the country is to kowtow towards and make heaps of munny for our Key Stakeholders, like the big four banks, what's there to celebrate?

==============

I have moved the rest of the posts from this thread to a new thread on the Greens fight to move the day. We've moved way beyond the Triple J/MMM thing.

- Chief

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/greens-vow-to-move-australia-day.1185102/

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand Cory Bernardi, but these guys are dreaming if they think they can control who can pull together a Spotify playlist.

I can't stand Cory Bernardi, but these guys are dreaming if they think they can control who can pull together a Spotify playlist.

It's not just a spotify playlist though, is it?

What is it?
Hysterical. I might as well vote on Ricky Muir's favourite hundred Australian songs. Bernardi is a nobody politically these days and what's really funny is it's all self inflicted, he could have remained vaguely relevant as a Liberal Party Senator. Now he's resorting to Xenophon style stunts.

Music for everyone - unless you're a conservative.

Spotify has deemed our festive Australia Day playlist of 100 Aussie classics 'too offensive'.
Disagree?

26804340_914836995362249_1471570816368322925_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back