Radio Triple M Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Triple M said who's on their Friday Night / Sat Rub teams for this year? Or does that come out just before first weekend?

Yeah interesting. I’ve been saying it for years. He is one of the best radio talents in the country. His resume for radio shows is elite - The Cage, The Rub, Mmm footy, the rush hour and his previous life as the breakfast guy on SAFM. But he clearly doesn’t care as much these days - the rush hour is fine because of the nature of the show but the rub has definitely suffered.

I hope the rub can get back to what it used to be, last year was the first year where it was non-essential listening for me since 2004. JB was dialing it in and I reckon a lot of it was when the rush hour was live he would be doing the production side of things during the week. Obviously personal has changed but I still think it was great 2018, 2019 and 2020 without spud.

Couple of bits of improvement:

1. Bring back Brian - tension is always great
2. Damien Barret get back to News and stop trying to be the funny guy
3. Bring in dunstall get rid off Carey

Yeah I get all that. But did they say he is off for the next month? Or did we assume that because he was off today?
From memory on Friday, he did say he was off for a month with the usual pre-season rotation of Riewoldt, Daisy, Montagna, etc filling in.

Didn’t fully catch it as they were all taking the piss at him at the same time but can confidently say so.

Radio is dying…thw rise of the podcast is killing it. The stars don’t need to do breakfast or drive anymore to get heard. They do there podcasts whenever the like and still get their content out there
I agree about podcasts thats mostly what i listen too these days in the car.

But does it pay the bills as most are free to listen too and most podcasts are self made productions.

I am not sure how much the sponsors pay for the 30 seconds ads in most of them though. So maybe it covers them.

But does it pay the bills as most are free to listen too and most podcasts are self made productions.

I am not sure how much the sponsors pay for the 30 seconds ads in most of them though. So maybe it covers them.

It is obviously very lucrative otherwise the talent wouldn’t be doing it

My last year playing footy (2015), the Saturday Rub was must listen radio on the way to the ground. In fact it’s the only radio show I’ve ever bothered podcasting later so I could get it all in. Just a bunch of funny blokes hanging s**t on each other. Though nothing could top Spud giving to Purple/Warrior/WokFry when he got on a roll! Apart from the readings from BTs 1990 season diary..

Yeah interesting. I’ve been saying it for years. He is one of the best radio talents in the country. His resume for radio shows is elite - The Cage, The Rub, Mmm footy, the rush hour and his previous life as the breakfast guy on SAFM. But he clearly doesn’t care as much these days - the rush hour is fine because of the nature of the show but the rub has definitely suffered.

I hope the rub can get back to what it used to be, last year was the first year where it was non-essential listening for me since 2004. JB was dialing it in and I reckon a lot of it was when the rush hour was live he would be doing the production side of things during the week. Obviously personal has changed but I still think it was great 2018, 2019 and 2020 without spud.

Couple of bits of improvement:

1. Bring back Brian - tension is always great
2. Damien Barret get back to News and stop trying to be the funny guy
3. Bring in dunstall get rid off Carey
JB is a star, Triple M footy is cooked without him. Personally I find Howie hard work, he's too nice for MMM. Tried faking arrogance last year, but couldn't maintain the rage. They need someone else as the second rung host when JB is not around.

1. BT is losing it, not a big loss for me.
2. I think the problem is Damo understands what the formula for triple M is and is trying to keep the other dope's on the right track. Ends up almost telling the joke for them as they (Carey) seem to thick to understand their role.
3. Agree, be good if they got Judd back too. He was arrogant enough to do well on MMM, Carey is pretty boring and they can't really get stuck into him cause he sooks to much and most of his faults are too serious to joke about.

JB is a star, Triple M footy is cooked without him. Personally I find Howie hard work, he's too nice for MMM. Tried faking arrogance last year, but couldn't maintain the rage. They need someone else as the second rung host when JB is not around.

2. I think the problem is Damo understands what the formula for triple M is and is trying to keep the other dope's on the right track. Ends up almost telling the joke for them as they (Carey) seem to thick to understand their role.
3. Agree, be good if they got Judd back too. He was arrogant enough to do well on MMM, Carey is pretty boring and they can't really get stuck into him cause he sooks to much and most of his faults are too serious to joke about.

Juddy would be a good shout for a return.

I'd also have Bernie Vince replace Duck.

Howie doesn't feel like one of the boys which is why I don't feel he connects.

Duck somehow turns the discourse back on him and not in a Wolf/Spud POV.

Browny and Daisy would also be better than Duck and Howie.

it was a perfect combo of time, place and timing and you're not bottling lightning like that again imo
One of the understated issues is that MMM have gone to a content model where they cover all games so there isn't the ability for a lot of off air time to flesh it out - some of the best stuff from the heyday was post match when they'd have them do another hour after the games, now that's gone

Juddy would be a good shout for a return.

I'd also have Bernie Vince replace Duck.

Howie doesn't feel like one of the boys which is why I don't feel he connects.

Duck somehow turns the discourse back on him and not in a Wolf/Spud POV.

Browny and Daisy would also be better than Duck and Howie.
Yeah Bernie is quite funny, got sick of Brownless shouting him down last year. You could tell he was a bit nervous on his set piece stuff and Bill would just constantly interrupt. He's quite funny off the cuff.

Billy should get pissed off full stop, it just turns into the "Bill is a moron" routine. It's got to the point where the others finish his jokes cause they know them so well.

Browny is a bit like Duck in that the things to take the piss out of him on (religion and gambling) are subjects they want to avoid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JB and Bt bounce off each other so well. Bristle in, Brownless out on Saturdays

He's involved with some church, they've commented on it a few times. Get referred to as the shakers I think. Dunno which version that means though.

OH!

Some Hillsong bollocks by the sounds of things.

Anyway.

2008-15 the golden years.

Be interesting to see how the Tex Walker redemption tour goes. It has seemed for the past few years like he was a shoe in to join their coverage. He may have to serve a short period of penance like Carey before media will employ him.

Agreed. Much more money in radio compared to podcasts. Obviously there is an alternative where radio shows are cut up as podcasts but generally Advertisers still pay a good rate for radio.

I'd personally trade Bernie to Friday nights and send either Chief or Duke to Saturdays. JB's ability to get the best out of Chief is truly an art form.

Duck is better suited to Sundays as the bloke is just unfortunately not naturally funny.

Juddy back on Fridays would be epic, he is genuinely pretty funny with the arrogance / dry wit stuff. Him with Darcy, Browny, Chief would be good, get rid of Howie...

On the Sat I reckon Billy, JB, Purple, Duck and Bernie works okay. I was sceptical about Bernie but he grew into it last year.

Agree with most that BT is just about past it...

It's definitely not the glory days, but I still listen to Friday & Saturday podcasts, still funny enough

Juddy back on Fridays would be epic, he is genuinely pretty funny with the arrogance / dry wit stuff. Him with Darcy, Browny, Chief would be good, get rid of Howie...

On the Sat I reckon Billy, JB, Purple, Duck and Bernie works okay. I was sceptical about Bernie but he grew into it last year.

Agree with most that BT is just about past it...

It's definitely not the glory days, but I still listen to Friday & Saturday podcasts, still funny enough
Didn't mind Ross Lyon on Sunday's tbh. Had some good insight into the behind the scenes stuff. He also put Howie in his place a few times, which was entertaining. Guess he'll be back this year now lol.

Didn't mind Ross Lyon on Sunday's tbh. Had some good insight into the behind the scenes stuff. He also put Howie in his place a few times, which was entertaining. Guess he'll be back this year now lol.
Agreed. I like Ross on Triple M. He knew when to bring the humour but at the same time he knew his s**t and brought some credibility to the Sunday crew

The Friday rub is horrendous. Trade the chief for duck and bt for bill on a Saturday and it will continue to be the better one to listen.

Howie, browny, Darcy, Judd are all boring as bat s**t.

Oh thank god for the triple m YouTube rub. There are some classic clips on there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back