Opinion Triple Position Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodes probably the most versatile player I've seen.

Balta is one to watch for the future. Hardwick is placing emphasis on guys being able to play multiple positions at the moment, even the smaller guys like Stack and Baker played in three positions this year.

Pavlich and Goodes

Roughead had 2 seasons at their level,

Pavlich unfortunately would have to go into the middle, then suddenly Freo couldnt manufacture anything up forward, I think Swinging McPharlin up forward gave them a target but he was always inconsistent up forward.

Quentin Lynch started his career in defence, made his career as a forward, pinch-hit in the ruck and also played on-ball for a bit around 2008/2009 when the Eagles had no midfield.

His best positon is as a mobile tall defender, but he always ends up doing some ruck work. Hasn't been a forward for a few years, never really caught on there

He still gets swung there every now and then. Kicked 2, 4 & 3 between rounds 16 and 18 (2018).

Cameron Mooney virtually played 2 season as a CHB and ruckman when we were inbetween King and Ottens and post Bluey McGrath. A very talented forward too obviously.

Barry Stoneham was the same. A genuine CHB, CHF and ruckman.

If we included the quarter he spent at fullback on Dunstall at KP and the handful of games he started off a half back flank then I guess we could include Ablett Snr. He's certainly got the midfield and forward line covered.

In terms of current players Blicavs is excellent in just about any role.

No he's not, he really is a very limited footballer. I finally came to this conclusion this season after watching him pretty closely. I had previously bought into the 'story' of his other sporting background but when you actually watch him closely, he's a pretty ordinary footballer, what he does have is that running power that makes him a lot better than he otherwise would be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Pavlich - Has to be in the conversation.
AA Mid 08 ( named on the interchange and spent the majority of that season on the ball and pushing forward)
AA Forward - 03/05/07
AA Defender - 02

I can’t think of anyone like Casboult.

Most of the others mentioned here were superstars who could have played any position because the game folded around them. Casboult is a 3 position workhorse which is pretty rare.

I mean, he wasnt best 22 for a bottom 4 team but then filled in, very competently, in 3 vastly different positions, and finished top 5 in the BnF while remaining a backup at all 3 positions (if he plays rd 1 2020 it will be off the bench). He’s a bit of a one-trick pony if you are looking at his standout skills, but has improved every other aspect of his game to ‘competent’

The closest I can think would be Tyson Goldsack and maybe Matthew Spangher, but neither had the one trick that Casboult has (contested marking).

Pavlich - AA Forward, AA Defender and AA Mid/Forward

Pavlich - AA Forward, AA Defender and AA Mid/Forward

Are you saying Pavlich wasn’t a superstar?

The whole point is that superstars can play anywhere well

There aren’t many Casboult’s though - players who aren’t best 18 for their team in any single position, but who can play backup at 3 different positions in the same year competently enough to finish top 5 in the best and fairest...

Are you saying Pavlich wasn’t a superstar?

The whole point is that superstars can play anywhere well

There aren’t many Casboult’s though - players who aren’t best 18 for their team in any single position, but who can play backup at 3 different positions in the same year competently enough to finish top 5 in the best and fairest...

No not at all - You said Casboult is a 3 position workhorse ( Which I agree with ) I just said that Pavlich was an AA in three positions the only difference is that he was Freo's best as opposed to Casboult not being Carlton's best .

Hoff and Chad Cornes are our two best examples.

Chad didn't need to ruck given Primus, Lade and Brogan.

Most versatile players going around. Goodes very much like Hoff too.

Not sure if Pav rucked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back