List Mgmt. Triple threat title match. Lonie vs Kent vs Hind (poll)

Lonie v Kent v Hind

• Lonie

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Kent

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Hind

Votes: 15 22.7%

• Total voters
I think Lonie is a victim of the game plan changing since Ratten took over.

Prior to his knee injury early last season, he was playing very well. Getting to good positions, whilst showing good positioning and decision-making up the field.

Unfortunately, he seems to be more 1-dimensional than Kent and Hind. He is much slower than the other 2, and has a much less penetrating kick. Whilst he is a better pure small forward, IMO, it’s just not what we need in our current set up.

To justify selection over the other 2, Lonie would have to develop his forward-craft to the point where he selects himself. I don’t think he has the physical attributes to get much faster or a bigger kick, sadly.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Who is the go to forward pocket in the future? All have different attributes but I feel as we trade and get stronger with our kids there is a spot for only one. They can all have a great game at times but who will be the one who eventually owns the position? I'm torn. I really am

I reckon they all play different roles anyway.

LoneDog is your traditional forward pocket, a proper crumber.

Kent your high half forward, not a crumber but more of a mid sized marking target. Uses his pace & size well.

Hind is a outside mid being used as a high half forward similar to Kent but without the marking.

Butler does a bit of everything to a high standard.

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Right now based on current form:
1) Kent
2) Lonie/Hind

Kent best player this year and more consistent I would say.

Torn between Lonie and Hind, Hind has the most upside if he can get the ball more regularly he could be the most damaging of the 3 but has struggled to impact a number of games and gets pushed off the mark etc easy.

Lonie you know what you are getting, decent pressure and footy smarts and not sticking many tackles. But then I don’t recall Hind sticking many either.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Lonie is always playing for his life be it his spot in the side and on the list. I'm not sure he's quite going to make it, just doesn't quite do enough defensively in my mind.

I think Hinds speed just puts him ahead of the pack, the Sydney game was brilliant but hasn't been great since.

Kent is almost a known quantity for me now at 26. I'm not sure he's got many levels to rise.

Hind is probably the most versatile being able to play anywhere on the side of the ground from back flank to forward pocket, Lonie probably the best goal kicking ability, with Kent balance between the two, but could probably also pinch hit in the middle but we’ve yet to really see it

I’ll take Kent personally but it changes so often that idfk lol

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Whoever kicks the most goals while having the best defensive pressure. Kent seems the most likely to kick or assist in goals while having a reasonable defensive side, followed by Hind, then Lonie whose lack of strength might be a problem defensively. Parker should have all the attributes, but hasn't put it together.

Butler the #1 small forward.
Parker the #2 small forward.
Kent the #1 half forward.
Hind the #2 half forward.

Lonie should be playing up the field ala Schneider. His harassment work is still really good he just can't stick a tackle. Putting him up the ground will get him pressuring the ball carrier a lot more and his own field kicking isn't too shabby.

Won't be upset if he gets a run at another club next year though. He has the talent.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Butler the #1 small forward.
Parker the #2 small forward.
Kent the #1 half forward.
Hind the #2 half forward.

Lonie should be playing up the field ala Schneider. His harassment work is still really good he just can't stick a tackle. Putting him up the ground will get him pressuring the ball carrier a lot more and his own field kicking isn't too shabby.

Won't be upset if he gets a run at another club next year though. He has the talent.
Lonie did pretty well at Sandy last year I think more on the ball, got a lot of the ball and was good enough to get senior selection as a result. He is probably a better onballer than forward.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Tough game AFL and probably the toughest position to nail down, the reality is that none are probably going to be locks every week although all three have some nice tricks.

I like Lonie, think his pressure and smarts make us a better side… right up there for pressure and i50 tackle stats, also think the range from his best and worse isn't as bad as the others. Easy to forget he had 3 brownlow votes this time last year against the dogs kicking 4.3, kicked 3.5 a few games earlier and 8 of his 13 games last year managed 15 or more touches.

Kent feels like an almost player, has games that really bring others into the match is a lovely kick but looks like he gets nervous kicking for goal… seems to struggle with fitness and injury a bit.

Hind has that elite weapon of pace which is tantalizing and looks awesome when it's on display, I'm not sure if his decision making is as good as the other two and has played some really ordinary games where he just can't find the ball, hopefully this changes with more experience and he can build some consistency but at 25 he won't be afforded the patience that a 20 year old will get.

Butler has really shone a light and benchmark on what these guys should be aiming for…

The #1 thing from a small forward IMO is pressure… Butler and Lonie were a deadly combo for this earlier in the year with Dan doing most of the finishing. Parker capable of elite pressure too when he's on.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel like we play better with lonie
He's definitely the craftiest of the smalls. Hard to imagine he wouldn't have found himself in better positions when the ball was hitting the deck on the weekend.

I was definitely one calling for him to go out in place of Hind but outside of the Sydney game I feel like we've missed him.

He has to come back in.

Hind just needs to find more of the ball more often.

Not many in the AFL have his skillset i.e. pace, finishing, skills on both sides of body.

I agree he has a good skill set but.

McKenzie just needs to find more of the ball.
Brodie Murdoch just needed to find more of the ball.
It would be good if Sinclair found more of the ball.

I could keep going. Finding more of the ball is not "just ".

The_Snake26

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lonie is the smartest of the group. He’s clever in his positioning and is the most natural forward pocket. Good game awareness. The problem is he’s just too physically weak.
I’m a big fan of Parker. His first year last year i thought he was great. He’s got 2nd year blues which isn’t uncommon and there’s nowhere for the boys out of the team to play themselves into form and get some confidence. His 2 games this year I don’t think he was playing with his natural instinct or flare. It was too tryhardish if that makes sense.
Could Hind be given runs through the midfield? Where was he played in the VFL? We need to find ways to get him in the game cause when he’s on he can be electric and a real barometer.
i like Kent but I was disappointed with his game on the weekend

Battle looks to be taking a lot of wing time from Billings. I know he doesn’t really fit Ratten’s three smalls with pace in the forward line but he isn’t much slower than Lonie...do we give Billings as a permanent forward another go? Lonie may come in but we know a few weeks later he’ll be back out anyway. Billings at his best up forward finds the ball as much as a midfielder anyway. We’re just not getting what we should be getting from someone with his talent so we need to do something.

Fiftyfifty

Debutant
Apr 4, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lonie is the smartest of the group. He’s clever in his positioning and is the most natural forward pocket. Good game awareness. The problem is he’s just too physically weak.
I’m a big fan of Parker. His first year last year i thought he was great. He’s got 2nd year blues which isn’t uncommon and there’s nowhere for the boys out of the team to play themselves into form and get some confidence. His 2 games this year I don’t think he was playing with his natural instinct or flare. It was too tryhardish if that makes sense.
Could Hind be given runs through the midfield? Where was he played in the VFL? We need to find ways to get him in the game cause when he’s on he can be electric and a real barometer.
i like Kent but I was disappointed with his game on the weekend
Hind has played half back and wing.

Back