Recommitted Tristan Xerri [contracted and requested a trade to St Kilda, didn't get there]

Tristan Xerri is the newest name on the ruck merry-go-round as the potential implications begin from Tiger Callum Coleman-Jones’ impending arrival at North Melbourne.
St Kilda is on the hunt for a younger ruckman to partner Rowan Marshall beyond next year, which looms as veteran big man Paddy Ryder’s last in the AFL.

It’s understood the Saints have honed in on contracted Kangaroo Xerri after also showing interest in Western Bulldog Jordon Sweet, who remains without a contract for 2022 and is linked to West Coast.

The Bulldogs have made Sweet an offer to stay, but he was overlooked in the finals for Lewis Young, who has since requested a trade to Carlton.

North Melbourne would have to be willing to trade Xerri, who isn’t out of contract until the end of next year.

He averaged 21.5 disposals, 15.5 contested possessions, 5.5 clearances and 26.2 hit-outs in six VFL games this year, but played only eight matches at senior level, all in the second half of the season.

Todd Goldstein remains the clear No. 1 ruck option at the Roos but turns 34 next year, when his three-year contract expires.

Tom Campbell kept 201cm Xerri out of the side up until Round 13 while serving as Goldstein’s deputy.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1633338131751.png

Saints picks.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Not worth a lot. Hasn't been able to translate his VFL form into the AFL although has had limited exposure at the level. If we don't think he can take over from Goldy and are happy to part with him via trade now, I'd expect one of picks 49 or 67 to come our way. Otherwise, maybe just a 3rd or 4th round pick upgrade.

I’d keep him or use him in a player swap like for Josh battle but we’d have to add something in that scenario

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2 years ago I was all mouthy about kicking Ben Mckay to the curb.
Then he made me look like a total fool and came on in leaps and bounds.
I just have a feeling X is better than he has shown.
I would prefer to keep him.

Groater

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2006
Bayside
AFL Club
St Kilda
We'd only be interested because he's cheap. The scattergun approach sort of speaks for itself.

Maybe a 4th round pick or a swap of later picks? Maybe he can be steak knives in a 3-way trade if something else is brewing, but that's probably overthinking it.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We'd only be interested because he's cheap. The scattergun approach sort of speaks for itself.

Maybe a 4th round pick or a swap of later picks? Maybe he can be steak knives in a 3-way trade if something else is brewing, but that's probably overthinking it.
Sounds about right.
Ryder replacement so Marshall can stay forward?

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, more than likely. Especially if Xerri is no good forward.
Xerri plays ruck similar to Mumford in style.
Bash and crash type.
He was always going to take time.
Goldy had 91% time on ground this year. X never got much of a shot to ruck in the seniors.
I dont think he will be much of a forward but I have been wrong before.

I've only ever seen him play forward at AFL level and he has been terrible when I have watched North. As a back up ruck he might be someone we'd have interest in.
He’s actually a pretty good pure ruck, he’s just not a forward.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
He’s actually a pretty good pure ruck, he’s just not a forward.

If Brisbane were kind enough to take Fort off of our hands then I think worth a shot as a ruck. Unlike the two young rucks we have on the list he is at the stage of his development where he could come straight in and play if Stanley gets injured / Scott drops Stanley after one bad game.

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Solid lump of a kid with great aggression and reasonable rucking skill. Needs some work on forward craft and controlling the aggression a little (maybe .... nah I like it).

Won't be a world changer but definitely a worthy pick up for any interested club. More than happy to keep him at North but understand if he is looking around with the possibility of CCJ coming over being promised ruck time :(

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Looks like he played some very good footy in the VFL playing as a genuine ruck

2 best ons and a 2nd best on in just 6 games.

36 touches on one of those.

At 22, it makes more sense having him as a back up rather than Hunter who won't improve.

Back