(Log in to remove this ad.)

worbod

Premiership Player
Oct 26, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
What is the connection between the highest ODI scores of Tendulkar, Sehwag and Rohit Sharma?
I reckon I have just figured it out. I went onto Cricinfo to look at the ball by ball commentary. I thought all three players may have been dropped before they had scored. Then it struck me that all three, whilst creating new record individual scores for an ODI, also played in matches where India's winning margin was 153 runs.

STFU Donnie

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton
They all broke the record at the time for highest ODI score didn’t they?
That is true, but it's not what I'm looking for. The answer I seek is far more remarkable!
I reckon I have just figured it out. I went onto Cricinfo to look at the ball by ball commentary. I thought all three players may have been dropped before they had scored. Then it struck me that all three, whilst creating new record individual scores for an ODI, also played in matches where India's winning margin was 153 runs.
Correct. Remarkable, that the new record ODI scores would all be set in matches decided by the exact same margin!

In a similar (identical) vein, the 1997 ODI series between Australia and England all had the same margin - England won by six wickets. But even more remarkably, in all three matches the winning runs were struck by Adam Hollioake.

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Last time a Shield or Test side failed to make 140 in both of their innings and still won outright ?

big_e

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
What was significant about the World Cup match between England and South Africa at the Oval on 22 May 1999?

worbod

Premiership Player
Oct 26, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
What was significant about the World Cup match between England and South Africa at the Oval on 22 May 1999?
Was it that one expatriate Zimbabwean dismissed another? (Steve Elworthy claimed Graeme Hick's wicket)

big_e

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
Is it anything to do with run rate? For 91 overs, 328 runs or whatever it was is extraordinarily poor even compared to a lot of early games in the format
Certainly numbers-related.

Think of a comparison with test cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

worbod

Premiership Player
Oct 26, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Thought this was too obscure to make it a question. I recently watched the movie Not Without My Daughter, where Sally Field plays a woman who is married to an Iranian man. In the movie their daughter is named Mahtob, which is Botham spelled backwards.

big_e

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers

STFU Donnie

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton
I won't make this a question, just put it out for people who missed it at the time to enjoy. It concerns the (in)famous test between Australia and South Africa in late 2011.

Just after 11 o'clock on day three SA were 1/125 chasing 236 for victory.

This meant that at precisely 11:11 on 11/11/11, they needed 111 to win.

FredLeDeux

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I won't make this a question, just put it out for people who missed it at the time to enjoy. It concerns the (in)famous test between Australia and South Africa in late 2011.

Just after 11 o'clock on day three SA were 1/125 chasing 236 for victory.

This meant that at precisely 11:11 on 11/11/11, they needed 111 to win.
David Shepherd would have been doing St Vitus' Dance.

worbod

Premiership Player
Oct 26, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I won't start turning this thread into a place where I promote my own Sporcle quizzes, but I am quite pleased with this one relating to binary numbers. If anyone wants to have a go I'd be interested whether you think 11 minutes is long enough to complete the quiz. Obviously I chose that number due its binary link, but I can take the quiz up to 20 minutes if necessary.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/worbod/binary-cricket-stats

Mockcockpit

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who is the only man to have played test cricket in the reigns of George the V, Edward the VIII, George the VI and Elizabeth the II?

Top Bottom