Trivia time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallaby

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
I think there are only a couple of series played when Eddy 8 was king - he was basically in charge in 1936 (got the job in Jan, and gave it up in Dec).

So that leaves the Australian series in Sth Africa 1935/36 (not sure exactly which tests fit the dates - probably not all of them).
India(?) in England 1936 - I think.
England in Aus 1936/37 - probably only the first 2 tests.

I'm trying to work it out without cheating at Cricinfo. I can't think of an Aussie (pretty sure Hassett didn't debut until 1938). Don't know the Sith Efricans or the Indians (Maybe Vijay Merchant?), and the Poms had a habit of playing a few unknowns in their 'Non-ashes' series back then.

Wallaby

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Ok - I'm completely lost. I'll take another guess - Stan Worthington. He opened for England in 1936/37 (unsuccessfully), but maybe he got a couple of tries later on as well.

Wallaby

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
OK - I looked him up (it actually wasn't that hard). Know the name - don't know much about the player other than he was a bit of a goer (like an earlier Srikkanth). Interesting that he had such a long career (or was called up later) - dashing openers are generally short-term prospects.

Thats a good little fun question.....................................

eth-dog

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
OK - I looked him up (it actually wasn't that hard). Know the name - don't know much about the player other than he was a bit of a goer (like an earlier Srikkanth). Interesting that he had such a long career (or was called up later) - dashing openers are generally short-term prospects.

SA or Indian? Because I've searched for him and none of it lines up. The only player I can find that played 35 or earlier and 53 or later is George Headley

AFL Club
Fremantle

Yeeah when I saw it one of my old magazines I thought it would be a good question for this thread! You can post the answer if you like Wallaby!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom