Trivia time!

Remove this Banner Ad

I looked at a whole bunch, starting from current players and working backwards.

I then magically found a reference to a player said to have identical averages but cricinfo stats don't support it. Won't mention who because I cheated and that's not in the spirit of the thread.

Even though checking through stats may not be in the spirit of thread, you kind of have to do it for this type of question, because unless you have the career averages of every noteworthy player cemented in your brain, you need to check. That's what I did with Geoff Miller because I wanted to double check whether he was the right answer before I posted. I have since checked a dozen more players but still no go.

Even though checking through stats may not be in the spirit of thread, you kind of have to do it for this type of question, because unless you have the career averages of every noteworthy player cemented in your brain, you need to check. That's what I did with Geoff Miller because I wanted to double check whether he was the right answer before I posted. I have since checked a dozen more players but still no go.
I googled it. That's what I consider not in the spirit.

I looked at a whole bunch, starting from current players and working backwards.

I then magically found a reference to a player said to have identical averages but cricinfo stats don't support it. Won't mention who because I cheated and that's not in the spirit of the thread.
I think we may have found the same article in which case shame on you for randomly googling Derek Pringle, I found it, thought it a good question and posted the question before checking cricinfo. So, apologies all. Didn't realise he had a cameo in Chariots of Fire either.

I think we may have found the same article in which case shame on you for randomly googling Derek Pringle, I found it, thought it a good question and posted the question before checking cricinfo. So, apologies all. Didn't realise he had a cameo in Chariots of Fire either.
All good. It is interesting to see how many have very similar bat vs ball averages, though.

Just for the record, as published in Christopher Martin-Jenkins' third edition of The Who's Who of Test Cricketers, at the end of 1986, Geoff Miller had a batting average of 27.08 (10,700 runs) and a bowling average of 27.08 (772 wickets). I knew I had read of him having identical averages somewhere.

Also, I know that James Lillywhite junior at the end of 1878 averaged 14.82 (for 4,893 runs and 1,069 wickets) and Jim Laker at the end of 1955 averaged 18.71 (for 5,708 runs and 1,274 wickets). There are most likely other players who were similarly positioned at significant stages of their careers, not merely after a couple of matches.

why is Tim Paine a good leader. for AFL guys his uncle is Robert Shaw ( whose sis is tim mum )
tim"s lot older brother Nickolas Paine captained the very successful Clarence Football club 230 games 6 premierships in
15 yrs. all in the genes guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What prevented B.B. Nimbalkar from breaking Bradman's then record first class score (452*) in 1948/49?

I should add it's nothing silly like he was dismissed! He scored 443*.

What prevented B.B. Nimbalkar from breaking Bradman's then record first class score (452*) in 1948/49?

I didn't know so I looked it up. So I won't give the answer.

But I can see why he was known as BB Nimbalkar - his given names were Bhausaheb Babasaheb.

The opposition skipper basically said to his lads 'Righto, fellas, we're not going into the record books as the team theat has the record score against them. We give up'.

They didn't come out after the lunch(?) break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back